this but it may have it.  I was wondering if anyone knows of a terminal
emulator that allows the mouse to place the cursor to edit parts or
whole sections of a command.  Some of my commands are really long and it
seems the part I want to edit is always at the beginning.  :/

Hoping for some ideas.

Thanks.

Dale

:-)  :-)
Re: Terminal emulator to replace Konsole [ In reply to ]
On 2024.03.22 16:01, Dale wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I've been using Konsole, part of KDE, for command line stuff ever
> since
> I started using Linux.? Linux is all I've ever used.? No windoze.?
> ;-)?
> While Konsole is good enough for almost everything, there is one
> feature
> I wish it had.? The ability to edit with the mouse.? I don't know of a
> way to make it do this.? The only way I know of to edit a command,
> left
> arrow to what you want to edit and change it.? I'd like to find one
> where I can use the mouse to place the cursor and edit from there.?
> Even
> maybe highlight and replace.? As far as I know, Konsole doesn't have
> that ability.?
>
> I looked in x11-terms and there is a few options, I think.? I tried
> looking at home pages and such but none of them mention a feature like
> this but it may have it.? I was wondering if anyone knows of a
> terminal
> emulator that allows the mouse to place the cursor to edit parts or
> whole sections of a command.? Some of my commands are really long and
> it
> seems the part I want to edit is always at the beginning.? :/
>
> Hoping for some ideas.?
I don't remember how I initially set it up, but I can use emacs
commands (not sure if it was related to konsole or bash) so I can use
up and down arrows or Ctl-p/Ctl-n to move back and forth in previous
commands, then Ctl-a to go to the beginning of the line, etc. I
suspect you can get vim style keys to do the same, if that's your
preference.

Sorry, but I have no idea how to tell if any terminal emulator is truly
a gui, where clicking on a character in the middle of the window
actually sets the cursor at that point, to be recognized by both the
terminal and the shell you are running.
Re: Terminal emulator to replace Konsole [ In reply to ]
Le ven. 22 mars 2024 à 21:02, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> a écrit :

> Howdy,
>
> I've been using Konsole, part of KDE, for command line stuff ever since
> I started using Linux. Linux is all I've ever used. No windoze. ;-)
> While Konsole is good enough for almost everything, there is one feature
> I wish it had. The ability to edit with the mouse. I don't know of a
> way to make it do this. The only way I know of to edit a command, left
> arrow to what you want to edit and change it. I'd like to find one
> where I can use the mouse to place the cursor and edit from there. Even
> maybe highlight and replace. As far as I know, Konsole doesn't have
> that ability.
>
> I looked in x11-terms and there is a few options, I think. I tried
> looking at home pages and such but none of them mention a feature like
> this but it may have it. I was wondering if anyone knows of a terminal
> emulator that allows the mouse to place the cursor to edit parts or
> whole sections of a command. Some of my commands are really long and it
> seems the part I want to edit is always at the beginning. :/
>
> Hoping for some ideas.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dale
>
> :-) :-)

Hi

I think it's not a terminal emulator feature, but rather a shell feature.

Some terminal programs are designed to interact with the mouse, but
bash command line, based on readline, doesn't react to mouse clicks.

I've tried Midnight Commander in Konsole and xterm, and it actually
moves the cursor to the click position in its own command line !

Maybe there's an extension or set of parameters for bash or other
shells to handle mouse clicks, but I'm not aware of it.

Best regards
Mickaël Bucas
Re: Terminal emulator to replace Konsole [ In reply to ]
On 2024-03-23, Mickaël Bucas <mbucas@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think it's not a terminal emulator feature, but rather a shell
> feature.
>
> Some terminal programs are designed to interact with the mouse, but
> bash command line, based on readline, doesn't react to mouse clicks.

Agreed.

> I've tried Midnight Commander in Konsole and xterm, and it actually
> moves the cursor to the click position in its own command line !
>
> Maybe there's an extension or set of parameters for bash or other
> shells to handle mouse clicks, but I'm not aware of it.

I vaguely recall that there was some sort zsh hack/addon/module that
added extra mouse functionality, but I don't recall the details (I was
never a zsh user).

--
Grant
Re: Terminal emulator to replace Konsole [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Mar 22, 2024 at 03:01:44PM -0500, Dale wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I looked in x11-terms and there is a few options, I think.  I tried
> looking at home pages and such but none of them mention a feature like
> this but it may have it.  I was wondering if anyone knows of a terminal
> emulator that allows the mouse to place the cursor to edit parts or
> whole sections of a command.  Some of my commands are really long and it
> seems the part I want to edit is always at the beginning.  :/

x11-terms/kitty can do this since it added some shell integration
features (requires bash, zsh, or fish and a rc file to be loaded which
is done by default), aka you can click anywhere in the command and
it'll place the cursor there.

The shell integration bits can also do things like open the output of
the last command in a pager even if haven't done e.g. "... | less" or
instantly copy it for pasting without awkwardly scrolling to select
everything.

Has quite a vast amount of features and configuration options, albeit
it may come as a bit quirky and with a learning curve if coming from
konsole (e.g. it does not even have a context menu and can only be
configured by editing the .conf file directly), and is mostly intended
for use with various keyboard binds than with pretty menus.
--
ionen