When I try to emerge it, it fails, but
https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/net-misc/inetutils seems normal.
Am I misreading it?
Re: is there something wrong with net-misc/inetutils? [ In reply to ]
n952162 <n952162@web.de> writes:

> When I try to emerge it, it fails, but
> https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/net-misc/inetutils seems normal.
> Am I misreading it?

There does seem to be an open bug: https://bugs.gentoo.org/924493

If this one does not match your issue, please file a bug:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Bugzilla/Bug_report_guide

Thanks in advance, have a lovely day.
--
Arsen Arsenovi?
Re: is there something wrong with net-misc/inetutils? [ In reply to ]
On 2/17/24 16:38, Arsen Arsenovi? wrote:
> n952162 <n952162@web.de> writes:
>
>> When I try to emerge it, it fails, but
>> https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/net-misc/inetutils seems normal.
>> Am I misreading it?
> There does seem to be an open bug: https://bugs.gentoo.org/924493
>
> If this one does not match your issue, please file a bug:
> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Bugzilla/Bug_report_guide
>
> Thanks in advance, have a lovely day.

Would that make the package not emerge?   I can't imagine a more mature
package ...
Re: is there something wrong with net-misc/inetutils? [ In reply to ]
On 2/17/24 19:22, n952162 wrote:
> On 2/17/24 16:38, Arsen Arsenovi? wrote:
>> n952162 <n952162@web.de> writes:
>>
>>> When I try to emerge it, it fails, but
>>> https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/net-misc/inetutils seems normal.
>>> Am I misreading it?
>> There does seem to be an open bug: https://bugs.gentoo.org/924493
>>
>> If this one does not match your issue, please file a bug:
>> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Bugzilla/Bug_report_guide
>>
>> Thanks in advance, have a lovely day.
>

> Would that make the package not emerge?   I can't imagine a more mature
> package ...

The package must have worked once.  Is it possible and practical to get
an earlier, working version out of git?
Re: is there something wrong with net-misc/inetutils? [ In reply to ]
On 2/17/24 19:56, n952162 wrote:
> On 2/17/24 19:22, n952162 wrote:

>>> There does seem to be an open bug: https://bugs.gentoo.org/924493
>>>
>>> If this one does not match your issue, please file a bug:
>>> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Bugzilla/Bug_report_guide
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance, have a lovely day.
>>

>> Would that make the package not emerge?   I can't imagine a more mature
>> package ...
>>

> The package must have worked once.  Is it possible and practical to
> get an earlier, working version out of git?

I'm currently using the ftp in /net-ftp/ftp-0.17.34.0.2.5.1/ and it's
broken - it doesn't send the last block.

Other FTPs listed in https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/FTP have different
command syntax, which breaks my expect(1) script.
Re: is there something wrong with net-misc/inetutils? [ In reply to ]
On 2/17/24 20:00, n952162 wrote:
> On 2/17/24 19:56, n952162 wrote:

>>> Would that make the package not emerge?   I can't imagine a more mature
>>> package ...
>>>

>> The package must have worked once.  Is it possible and practical to
>> get an earlier, working version out of git?
>>

> I'm currently using the ftp in /net-ftp/ftp-0.17.34.0.2.5.1/ and it's
> broken - it doesn't send the last block.
>
> Other FTPs listed in https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/FTP have different
> command syntax, which breaks my expect(1) script.

The inetutils on nixos runs fine.  I wonder why gentoo can't get it
working ...
Re: is there something wrong with net-misc/inetutils? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

n952162 <n952162@web.de> writes:

> The inetutils on nixos runs fine.  I wonder why gentoo can't get it
> working ...

Again, please post the relevant information about the build failure. I
cannot reproudce it.

Packages don't necessarily stop working because of changes in the code.
It is possible that code accidentally worked and stopped working for one
of a myriad of reasons.

Posting the output of emerge and/or the build log, as per the
instruction I linked, will help us narrow down the issue and fix it.

Thanks in advance, have a lovely evening.
--
Arsen Arsenovi?
Re: is there something wrong with net-misc/inetutils? [ In reply to ]
On 2/17/24 21:45, Arsen  wrote:
> Hi,
>
> n952162 <n952162@web.de> writes:
>
>> The inetutils on nixos runs fine.  I wonder why gentoo can't get it
>> working ...
> Again, please post the relevant information about the build failure. I
> cannot reproudce it.
>
> Packages don't necessarily stop working because of changes in the code.
> It is possible that code accidentally worked and stopped working for one
> of a myriad of reasons.
>
> Posting the output of emerge and/or the build log, as per the
> instruction I linked, will help us narrow down the issue and fix it.
>
> Thanks in advance, have a lovely evening.

Sorry, I don't want to file a bug report if it's just an operator error:

+ emerge --getbinpkg n -v --tree --deep --update --noreplace
--changed-use --verbose-conflicts --keep-going --with-bdeps=y
--backtrack=100 net-misc/inetutils

 * IMPORTANT: 11 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
 * Use eselect news read to view new items.

 * Last emerge --sync was 1y 286d 18h 36m 20s ago.

 * IMPORTANT: 5 config files in '/etc/portage' need updating.

These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:

Calculating dependencies   * See the CONFIGURATION FILES and
CONFIGURATION FILES UPDATE TOOLS
 * sections of the emerge man page to learn how to update config files.
...... done!

emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "net-misc/inetutils".

emerge: searching for similar names...
emerge: Maybe you meant any of these: net-misc/iputils,
net-misc/tipcutils, net-misc/bridge-utils?
Re: is there something wrong with net-misc/inetutils? [ In reply to ]
On 2/17/24 14:03, n952162 wrote:
> On 2/17/24 20:00, n952162 wrote:

>>> The package must have worked once.  Is it possible and practical to
>>> get an earlier, working version out of git?
>>>

>> I'm currently using the ftp in /net-ftp/ftp-0.17.34.0.2.5.1/ and it's
>> broken - it doesn't send the last block.
>>
>> Other FTPs listed in https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/FTP have different
>> command syntax, which breaks my expect(1) script.
>>

> The inetutils on nixos runs fine.  I wonder why gentoo can't get it
> working ...

I assume you're trying to build inetutils with the ftp use flag set?
net-ftp/ftp blocks inetutils in that case, you need to remove
net-ftp/ftp first.
Re: is there something wrong with net-misc/inetutils? [ In reply to ]
On 2024.02.17 16:14, n952162 wrote:
> On 2/17/24 21:45, Arsen? wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> n952162 <n952162@web.de> writes:
>>
>>> The inetutils on nixos runs fine.? I wonder why gentoo can't get it
>>> working ...
>> Again, please post the relevant information about the build
>> failure. I
>> cannot reproudce it.
>>
>> Packages don't necessarily stop working because of changes in the
>> code.
>> It is possible that code accidentally worked and stopped working for
>> one
>> of a myriad of reasons.
>>
>> Posting the output of emerge and/or the build log, as per the
>> instruction I linked, will help us narrow down the issue and fix it.
>>
>> Thanks in advance, have a lovely evening.

I've already deleted the earlier messages in the thread, so I may be
missing something, but this doesn't look like a conflict or USE flag
issue.

> Sorry, I don't want to file a bug report if it's just an operator
> error:
>
> + emerge --getbinpkg n -v --tree --deep --update --noreplace
> --changed-use --verbose-conflicts --keep-going --with-bdeps=y
> --backtrack=100 net-misc/inetutils
>
> ?* IMPORTANT: 11 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
> ?* Use eselect news read to view new items.
>
> ?* Last emerge --sync was 1y 286d 18h 36m 20s ago.

When is the last time you did an "emerge --sync" ? Has it really been
almost two years? When it the last time you did any sort of emerge
@world? If it is recently, then how has your portage tree been
updated? If not recently, it is not surprising if you have problems
updating or installing a single package

> ?* IMPORTANT: 5 config files in '/etc/portage' need updating.

These may or may not be important. but without knowing which files need
updating, and why, there it no guarantee this is not at least part of
your problem.

> These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:
>
> Calculating dependencies?? * See the CONFIGURATION FILES and
> CONFIGURATION FILES UPDATE TOOLS
> ?* sections of the emerge man page to learn how to update config
> files.
> ...... done!
>
> emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "net-misc/inetutils".

Is there anything in /usr/portage/net-misc/inetutils? (Adjust to
wherever your portage tree actually is.

> emerge: searching for similar names...
> emerge: Maybe you meant any of these: net-misc/iputils,
> net-misc/tipcutils, net-misc/bridge-utils?

When is the last time you did emerge anything successfully?
Re: is there something wrong with net-misc/inetutils? [ In reply to ]
On 2/17/24 23:10, Michael Cook wrote:
> On 2/17/24 14:03, n952162 wrote:

>>> I'm currently using the ftp in /net-ftp/ftp-0.17.34.0.2.5.1/ and
>>> it's broken - it doesn't send the last block.
>>>
>>> Other FTPs listed in https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/FTP have different
>>> command syntax, which breaks my expect(1) script.
>>>

>> The inetutils on nixos runs fine.  I wonder why gentoo can't get it
>> working ...
>>
> I assume you're trying to build inetutils with the ftp use flag set?
> net-ftp/ftp blocks inetutils in that case, you need to remove
> net-ftp/ftp first.

Can you give some more information about that?  E.g. how one package can
block another one?

I removed net-ftp/ftp (good riddance):

$ equery l net-ftp/ftp
!!! No installed packages matching 'net-ftp/ftp'
 * Searching for ftp in net-ftp ...

But I'm still getting the same problem:

Re: is there something wrong with net-misc/inetutils? [ In reply to ]
On 2/17/24 23:31, Jack wrote:
> On 2024.02.17 16:14, n952162 wrote:
>> On 2/17/24 21:45, Arsen  wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> Again, please post the relevant information about the build failure.  I
>>> cannot reproudce it.
>>>
>>> Packages don't necessarily stop working because of changes in the code.
>>> It is possible that code accidentally worked and stopped working for
>>> one
>>> of a myriad of reasons.
>>>
>>> Posting the output of emerge and/or the build log, as per the
>>> instruction I linked, will help us narrow down the issue and fix it.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance, have a lovely evening.
>
> I've already deleted the earlier messages in the thread, so I may be
> missing something, but this doesn't look like a conflict or USE flag
> issue.
>
>> Sorry, I don't want to file a bug report if it's just an operator error:
>>
>> + emerge --getbinpkg n -v --tree --deep --update --noreplace
>> --changed-use --verbose-conflicts --keep-going --with-bdeps=y
>> --backtrack=100 net-misc/inetutils
>>
>>  * IMPORTANT: 11 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
>>  * Use eselect news read to view new items.
>>
>>  * Last emerge --sync was 1y 286d 18h 36m 20s ago.
>
> When is the last time you did an "emerge --sync" ?  Has it really been
> almost two years?  When it the last time you did any sort of emerge
> @world?  If it is recently, then how has your portage tree been
> updated?  If not recently, it is not surprising if you have problems
> updating or installing a single package
>
>>  * IMPORTANT: 5 config files in '/etc/portage' need updating.
>
> These may or may not be important. but without knowing which files
> need updating, and why, there it no guarantee this is not at least
> part of your problem.
>>
>> These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:
>>
>> Calculating dependencies   * See the CONFIGURATION FILES and
>> CONFIGURATION FILES UPDATE TOOLS
>>  * sections of the emerge man page to learn how to update config files.
>> ...... done!
>>
>> emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "net-misc/inetutils".
>
> Is there anything in /usr/portage/net-misc/inetutils?  (Adjust to
> wherever your portage tree actually is.
>

>> emerge: searching for similar names...
>> emerge: Maybe you meant any of these: net-misc/iputils,
>> net-misc/tipcutils, net-misc/bridge-utils?
>
> When is the last time you did emerge anything successfully?

I don't have a /usr/portage.  Is that a new directory that I should
have?  I also don't have a /etc/portage/inetutils.

I last successfully emerged tnftp yesterday.
Re: is there something wrong with net-misc/inetutils? [ In reply to ]
On 2/18/24 01:50, n952162 wrote:
> On 2/17/24 23:10, Michael Cook wrote:

>>> The inetutils on nixos runs fine.  I wonder why gentoo can't get it
>>> working ...
>>>
>> I assume you're trying to build inetutils with the ftp use flag set?
>> net-ftp/ftp blocks inetutils in that case, you need to remove
>> net-ftp/ftp first.
>>

> Can you give some more information about that?  E.g. how one package
> can block another one?
>
> I removed net-ftp/ftp (good riddance):
>
> $ equery l net-ftp/ftp
> !!! No installed packages matching 'net-ftp/ftp'
>  * Searching for ftp in net-ftp ...
>
> But I'm still getting the same problem:
>
> emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "net-misc/inetutils".
>
> emerge: searching for similar names...
> emerge: Maybe you meant any of these: net-misc/iputils,
> net-misc/tipcutils, net-misc/bridge-utils?

It looks like you're portage tree is out of date ... rather very out of
date. The package was first added in September of 2023. So you'll have
to sync up and probably have lots of other updates to handle as well.
Re: is there something wrong with net-misc/inetutils? [ In reply to ]
On 2024.02.18 01:50, n952162 wrote:
[snip.......]
> Can you give some more information about that?? E.g. how one package
> can
> block another one?
>
> I removed net-ftp/ftp (good riddance):
>
> $ equery l net-ftp/ftp
> !!! No installed packages matching 'net-ftp/ftp'
> ?* Searching for ftp in net-ftp ...
>
> But I'm still getting the same problem:
>
> emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "net-misc/inetutils".
>
> emerge: searching for similar names...
> emerge: Maybe you meant any of these: net-misc/iputils,
> net-misc/tipcutils, net-misc/bridge-utils?

If you want help, you need to provide more information about your setup.
- Where is your portage tree?
- When did you last "emerge --sync" ?
- When did you last "emerge --update @world" ?

As someone else said, it looks like your tree is nearly two years out
of date. That could be why it can't find inetutils. If that is the
case, you really need to bring your system up to date before worrying
about installing any new packages. There have been other threads about
updating a system out of date by more than six months. It is possible,
but potentially difficult. It may also be helpful, if not necessary,
to delete some packages and then reinstall them once the system is
fully updated.