Mailing List Archive

dev-db/mysql-8.0.32-r2 and media-libs/opencv-4.8.1-r1 fails to emerge
Howdy,

This is just a heads up.  I synced on Saturday, USA time, and was doing
my regular updates, weekly ones.  For some reason, mysql and opencv
would fail every time I attempted to upgrade.  I've had times where
something would fail on first attempt and just trying to update again
would allow it to finish.  I guess something was done out of order or
something.  Anyway, that didn't work this time.  I also searched BGO and
the forums with no one else having the problem.  After updating all I
could, I synced the tree again.  It's rare but sometimes one can sync
when the tree isn't quite complete.  I haven't seen that in a few years
but it is always on my list of things to try even tho it is so rare.  In
this case, syncing again was the solution.  I caught something in the
middle of a change or something and got something that wasn't quite up
to date.

TL;DR.  If the above fails, sync the tree again and retry.  It should
work then.  Time stamp for my original sync:  2024-02-03T20:37:56
Again, USA central time.

Hope this helps someone who runs into this and can't work around it.  :-D

Dale

:-)  :-)
Re: dev-db/mysql-8.0.32-r2 and media-libs/opencv-4.8.1-r1 fails to emerge [ In reply to ]
Il 05/02/24 06:21, Dale ha scritto:
> Howdy,
>
> This is just a heads up.  I synced on Saturday, USA time, and was doing
> my regular updates, weekly ones.  For some reason, mysql and opencv
> would fail every time I attempted to upgrade.  I've had times where
> something would fail on first attempt and just trying to update again
> would allow it to finish.  I guess something was done out of order or
> something.  Anyway, that didn't work this time.  I also searched BGO and
> the forums with no one else having the problem.  After updating all I
> could, I synced the tree again.  It's rare but sometimes one can sync
> when the tree isn't quite complete.  I haven't seen that in a few years
> but it is always on my list of things to try even tho it is so rare.  In
> this case, syncing again was the solution.  I caught something in the
> middle of a change or something and got something that wasn't quite up
> to date.
>
> TL;DR.  If the above fails, sync the tree again and retry.  It should
> work then.  Time stamp for my original sync:  2024-02-03T20:37:56
> Again, USA central time.
>
> Hope this helps someone who runs into this and can't work around it.  :-D
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

It was a tracked opencv issue deriving from a dev-libs/protobuf update:

https://bugs.gentoo.org/909087

Probably you did not find it because by default the Bugzilla interface
only searches for CONFIRMED, UNCONFIRMED, IN_PROGRESS. This one was
fixed and closed at the speed of light, I found it yesterday only by
chance because I did the search a short time before Comment 4...

I suppose that due to the urgency the developer did not change the
ebuild version.

raf
Re: dev-db/mysql-8.0.32-r2 and media-libs/opencv-4.8.1-r1 fails to emerge [ In reply to ]
ralfconn wrote:
> Il 05/02/24 06:21, Dale ha scritto:
>> Howdy,
>>
>> This is just a heads up.  I synced on Saturday, USA time, and was doing
>> my regular updates, weekly ones.  For some reason, mysql and opencv
>> would fail every time I attempted to upgrade.  I've had times where
>> something would fail on first attempt and just trying to update again
>> would allow it to finish.  I guess something was done out of order or
>> something.  Anyway, that didn't work this time.  I also searched BGO and
>> the forums with no one else having the problem.  After updating all I
>> could, I synced the tree again.  It's rare but sometimes one can sync
>> when the tree isn't quite complete.  I haven't seen that in a few years
>> but it is always on my list of things to try even tho it is so rare.  In
>> this case, syncing again was the solution.  I caught something in the
>> middle of a change or something and got something that wasn't quite up
>> to date.
>>
>> TL;DR.  If the above fails, sync the tree again and retry.  It should
>> work then.  Time stamp for my original sync:  2024-02-03T20:37:56
>> Again, USA central time.
>>
>> Hope this helps someone who runs into this and can't work around it.
>> :-D
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-)  :-)
>>
> It was a tracked opencv issue deriving from a dev-libs/protobuf update:
>
> https://bugs.gentoo.org/909087
>
> Probably you did not find it because by default the Bugzilla interface
> only searches for CONFIRMED, UNCONFIRMED, IN_PROGRESS. This one was
> fixed and closed at the speed of light, I found it yesterday only by
> chance because I did the search a short time before Comment 4...
>
> I suppose that due to the urgency the developer did not change the
> ebuild version.
>
> raf

I usually select show all when I search.  Sometimes, as you point out,
the fix is done but may not have hit the tree and all the mirrors.  At
one time I had a mirror that was not updated as often for some reason.
Eventually, it stopped working and I had to switch.

I mostly posted just in case someone else ran into this and was trying
to find a solution.  I spent a few hours trying all my other tricks.
None of them worked.

Good to know what the cause was tho.  After a few days, it shouldn't be
a problem for anyone else.  All the mirrors should be up to date.  It
was a head scratcher for me tho.

Dale

:-)  :-)