me I'd suggest they get a bargain barrel windows machine because that's
the only way you will ever be able to print stuff out exactly when you
need stuff printed out. =|

--
You can't out-crazy a Democrat.
#EggCrisis #BlackWinter
White is the new Kulak.
Powers are not rights.
Re: The hopeless futility of printing. [ In reply to ]
Alan Grimes:
> I spent $450 for the most beautifulest printer ever made.

That is not true, because I own the most beautiful printer:)

> Absolutely suprimo HP laser jet network printer.

You didn't write what model, hard to help you then.

///

What I do is, well it is just me I guess:

0, print out a test page from the printers menu
1, check the printers network config and ping the printer
2, put the printer in postscript mode/emulation and send something
simple as to it using lpr:

%A4: 210 297mm
%72 per tum, 72/25.4 per mm
/a 72 25.4 div def
a a scale
0.1 setlinewidth

0 3 297 { 0 exch moveto 210 0 rlineto stroke } for

0 3 210 { 0 moveto 0 297 rlineto stroke } for

showpage

3, if it can print postscript via lpr, then keep doing that and ignore
cups.

///

What messes things up is people pressing the wifi-button (if there is
one) while on cable, which messes up the network config.

If it works with MS-Windows, it can be autodetect (udns, avahi) is
missing on your linux box. I usually set printers to fixed ip-address
and add it to the local dns for easy access, so I shut down any udns
thing; I like a quiet network.

Regards,
/Karl Hammar
Re: The hopeless futility of printing. [ In reply to ]
On Monday, 29 January 2024 11:11:41 GMT karl@aspodata.se wrote:
> Alan Grimes:
> > I spent $450 for the most beautifulest printer ever made.
>
> That is not true, because I own the most beautiful printer:)
>
> > Absolutely suprimo HP laser jet network printer.
>
> You didn't write what model, hard to help you then.
>
> ///
>
> What I do is, well it is just me I guess:
>
> 0, print out a test page from the printers menu
> 1, check the printers network config and ping the printer
> 2, put the printer in postscript mode/emulation and send something
> simple as to it using lpr:
>
> %A4: 210 297mm
> %72 per tum, 72/25.4 per mm
> /a 72 25.4 div def
> a a scale
> 0.1 setlinewidth
>
> 0 3 297 { 0 exch moveto 210 0 rlineto stroke } for
>
> 0 3 210 { 0 moveto 0 297 rlineto stroke } for
>
> showpage
>
> 3, if it can print postscript via lpr, then keep doing that and ignore
> cups.
>
> ///
>
> What messes things up is people pressing the wifi-button (if there is
> one) while on cable, which messes up the network config.
>
> If it works with MS-Windows, it can be autodetect (udns, avahi) is
> missing on your linux box. I usually set printers to fixed ip-address
> and add it to the local dns for easy access, so I shut down any udns
> thing; I like a quiet network.
>
> Regards,
> /Karl Hammar

I've had a couple of printers over the years, including a HP InkJet. Once I
spent some time to configure them I didn't have to touch anything again.
Occasionally, after many years, some change in CUPS might require particular
attention/reconfiguration. By all accounts this is a rare event.

The OP can check the protocol/port used by the MSWindows machine and use the
same to configure CUPS on Linux. As long as the correct driver (or IPP
Everywhere) is installed/selected the printer should just work. The CUPS
webgui help pages and the interwebs usually contain enough information to get
most printers working on Apple/Linux.
Re: The hopeless futility of printing. [ In reply to ]
karl@aspodata.se wrote:
> >> Absolutely suprimo HP laser jet network printer.
> You didn't write what model, hard to help you then.

It's a LaserJet Pro M453-4.

When I was shopping for it, there was a $350 model with wireless, and a
$450 model without wireless, I was like OMG, i DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT
WIRELESS??? SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!

Hopefully that $100 will send the message that I REALLY don't want
wireless in my printer.

Apparently there is a stack of about twenty baroque, fiddly, obscure,
and broken demons and libraries that all must work together perfectly to
get the darn thing to work. Each of those packages are advertised as
being the epitome of convenience and plug-and-play perfection except
they don't work, at all...  It's well past the point of being pointful
to mess with it. Even if I got it working today, It would be broken
tomorrow in such a way that I'd have no hope of diagnosing or fixing it. =|

Re: The hopeless futility of printing. [ In reply to ]
On Monday, 29 January 2024 18:19:19 GMT Alan Grimes wrote:

> It's a LaserJet Pro M453-4.

You shouldn't need hplip drivers and what not, IPP Everywhere ought to allow
driverless CUPS to allow you to print:

https://www.pwg.org/printers/

> When I was shopping for it, there was a $350 model with wireless, and a
> $450 model without wireless, I was like OMG, i DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT
> WIRELESS??? SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!

Aw, the drama of it all! o_O

> Apparently there is a stack of about twenty baroque, fiddly, obscure,
> and broken demons and libraries that all must work together perfectly to
> get the darn thing to work. Each of those packages are advertised as
> being the epitome of convenience and plug-and-play perfection except
> they don't work, at all... It's well past the point of being pointful
> to mess with it. Even if I got it working today, It would be broken
> tomorrow in such a way that I'd have no hope of diagnosing or fixing it. =|

Read these pages to get to grips with the basics for CUPS:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Printing

(No need for USE="zeroconf" if you prefer static IP addresses in your LAN)

Then check this page to try out the IPP everywhere driver:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Driverless_printing

Finally, if IPP Everywhere fails to connect and print, try the old hplip
driver:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/HPLIP

HTH.
Re: The hopeless futility of printing. [ In reply to ]
On 29/01/2024 18:19, Alan Grimes wrote:
>> You didn't write what model, hard to help you then.
>
> It's a LaserJet Pro M453-4.

I have absolutely no trouble with HP. But I always used hplip. I notice
though it's not installed on my current server/workstation ??? That
prints fine.

My printer's an M477 - with scanner and everything - but that's
configured as "scan to network" so it just opens a samba share and dumps
the scan there.

Under "make and model", cups says "HP Color LaserJet Series PCL 6 CUPS".

Cheers,
Wol
Re: The hopeless futility of printing. [ In reply to ]
On 2024-01-29, Michael <confabulate@kintzios.com> wrote:
> On Monday, 29 January 2024 18:19:19 GMT Alan Grimes wrote:
>
>> It's a LaserJet Pro M453-4.
>
> You shouldn't need hplip drivers and what not, IPP Everywhere ought to allow
> driverless CUPS to allow you to print:
>
> https://www.pwg.org/printers/

Does anybody have any experience with using IPP everywhere for
driverless printing with a USB attached printer? (e.g. LasterJet
1320)?

Yea, I know, it works as is with the PCL driver, so don't futz with it...

--
Grant
Re: Re: The hopeless futility of printing. [ In reply to ]
Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2024-01-29, Michael <confabulate@kintzios.com> wrote:
>> On Monday, 29 January 2024 18:19:19 GMT Alan Grimes wrote:
>>
>>> It's a LaserJet Pro M453-4.
>> You shouldn't need hplip drivers and what not, IPP Everywhere ought to allow
>> driverless CUPS to allow you to print:
>>
>> https://www.pwg.org/printers/
> Does anybody have any experience with using IPP everywhere for
> driverless printing with a USB attached printer? (e.g. LasterJet
> 1320)?
>
> Yea, I know, it works as is with the PCL driver, so don't futz with it...
>
> --
> Grant

Some may recall me buying a Lexmark C2325DW laser printer a few years
ago.  I use the IPP to setup my printer, over wireless I might add, and
it works fine.  I've printed text, images and combinations of both just
fine.  It always looks great.  I do this within CUPS.  This is what it
shows when when I pull up the printer info.

Driver:    Lexmark C2300 Series (color, 2-sided printing)
Connection:    ipp://10.0.0.3/
Defaults:    job-sheets=none, none media=na_letter_8.5x11in
sides=two-sided-long-edge

I set this up ages ago.  I went online and found the .ppd file.  During
the setup, I just pointed it to the file.  So far, this has worked
well.  On occasion, when CUPS updates, I have to set it up again.
Usually, I delete the thing and just start over if it fails to print.
After that, it works for a good long while, even tho I don't print as
much as I used to.  Those toner cartridges that claim 3,000 pages are
just wishing.  Most stuff I print are regular text.  Sometimes a black
and white circuit diagram.  Still, if I get 1,000 pages or more, I'm
doing good.  I don't think I've ever got 2,000 pages from one.  All that
said, the printer is a OK printer.

I might add, using IPP was the only way I could get it to work.  None of
the other options worked.  Could be me tho.  Y'all know how I am.  :/  ROFL

Hope that helps.

Dale

:-)  :-)
Re: Re: The hopeless futility of printing. [ In reply to ]
On Monday, 29 January 2024 22:42:12 GMT Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2024-01-29, Michael <confabulate@kintzios.com> wrote:
> > On Monday, 29 January 2024 18:19:19 GMT Alan Grimes wrote:
> >> It's a LaserJet Pro M453-4.
> >
> > You shouldn't need hplip drivers and what not, IPP Everywhere ought to
> > allow driverless CUPS to allow you to print:
> >
> > https://www.pwg.org/printers/
>
> Does anybody have any experience with using IPP everywhere for
> driverless printing with a USB attached printer? (e.g. LasterJet
> 1320)?
>
> Yea, I know, it works as is with the PCL driver, so don't futz with it...
>
> --
> Grant

Quite right, if it ain't broken ... ;-)

The Internet Printing Protocol (IPP) is a network protocol, so it won't work
over USB. If you have a driver which works then your printing needs are
addressed, but in case you want to try something different this link may be
useful:

https://www2.alfter.us/2015/03/23/gentoo-linux-hplip-and-the-hp-laserjet-1320-dont-mix/