grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

But grub does not find the kernel, since it is not installed in /boot's root
but in some uuid named sub directory.

Eselect news says for grub users, nothing changes, but actually it does not
work.

So how is this now supposed to work?

Best regards
Alex
Re: Gentoo-kernel 6.6 -- how to install? [ In reply to ]
On Saturday, 27 January 2024 16:10:40 GMT Alexander Puchmayr wrote:

> Since now kernel 6.6 is stable, installation procedure seems to have
> changed.
>
> I used to install it by
>
> emerge --config gentoo-kernel

I don't know what that does. I run make oldconfig; make; make modules-install;
make insstall. That's been my routine for years.

> grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

I can't help with grub - sorry.

> But grub does not find the kernel, since it is not installed in /boot's root
> but in some uuid named sub directory.

Sounds like you have sys-kernel/installkernel-systemd installed, instead of
sys-kernel/installkernel.

> Eselect news says for grub users, nothing changes, but actually it does not
> work.

I tried quite hard to follow the systemd way of installing kernels when
installkernel was split recently, but I gave up in the end and reverted to my
own way. For one thing, at boot time, the list of bootable kernels was far too
verbose to be useful. For another, the method involved too much error-prone
typing; not at all the unixy way.

Peter.
Re: Gentoo-kernel 6.6 -- how to install? [ In reply to ]
Hey,
I've run into the same issue.

From what I could backtrack it was the merge,
of kernel-install into installkernel
(https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Installkernel).

So what I did to fix was to add the following change,
as suggested in the wiki to prevent the systemd-kernel-install,
like:
```
$ cat /etc/env.d/99no-systemd-kernel-install
SYSTEMD_KERNEL_INSTALL=0
```
I am using grub, so maybe I am missing something the
systemd-kernel-install to work.

Regards,
Guillaume.
Re: Gentoo-kernel 6.6 -- how to install? [ In reply to ]
Alexander Puchmayr <alexander.puchmayr@linznet.at> writes:

> Hi there,
>
> Since now kernel 6.6 is stable, installation procedure seems to have changed.
>
> I used to install it by
>
> emerge --config gentoo-kernel
> grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

This means something was wrong before. The extra mkconfig step should
never have been necessary. All you should have installed is
installkernel[grub]. Following that, any 'emerge --config' on any
dist-kernel package ought to configure grub correctly.

Try installing installkernel with USE=grub and reporting what happens
when you try to config a dist-kernel.

HTH, have a lovely day!
--
Arsen Arsenovi?
Re: Gentoo-kernel 6.6 -- how to install? [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Jan 27, 2024 at 08:09:03PM +0100, Arsen Arsenovi? wrote

> Try installing installkernel with USE=grub and reporting what happens
> when you try to config a dist-kernel.

I run grub. My flags...

[x8940][root][~] emerge -pv installkernel

[ebuild R ] sys-kernel/installkernel-18::gentoo USE="-dracut -grub -module-rebuild -systemd -uki -ukify" 0 KiB

After building the kernel, I usually run a script that includes...
the commands...

cp arch/x86_64/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-experimental
cp System.map /boot/System.map-experimental
cp .config /boot/config-experimental

WTF does this require a separate program now???

--
Roses are red
Roses are blue