Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: Slightly corrupted file systems when resuming from hibernation [ In reply to ]
On 2024-04-17, Dr Rainer Woitok <rainer.woitok@gmail.com> wrote:
> Grant,
>
> On Wednesday, 2024-04-17 14:11:21 -0000, you wrote:

>> If what you want is access to all upstream longeterm kernel versions,
>> then you should be using sys-kernel/vanilla-sources.
>
> I was not aware of this package. Excatly what could come in handy, if
> everything else fails. Thank you for that pointer :-)

Just be aware that gentoo-sources contains an "extra" set of
gentoo-specific patches. So version x.y.z of gentoo-sources isn't
identical to version x.y.z of vanilla-sources.

https://dev.gentoo.org/~mpagano/genpatches/

--
Grant
Re: Re: Slightly corrupted file systems when resuming from hibernation [ In reply to ]
Grant Edwards wrote:

> 2) Lack of support for old hardware when running a newer kernels.
>
> I used to run into this when running nvidia-drivers.
> Gentoo-sources would mark a new kernel stable, but my video board
> would not be supported by nvidia-drivers versions that were
> supported for that new stable kernel. I would mask newer kernels
> until and run older "longterm" kernels as long as I could. I would
> evenually be forced to buy a new video card. After going through
> that cycle a couple times, I swore off NVidia video cards and
> life's been much eaiser since.

I still use Nvidia and use nvidia drivers.  I to run into problems on
occasion with drivers and kernels.  When you switched from Nvidia, what
did you switch too?  Do you still use drivers you install or kernel
drivers?  How well does the video system work?  In other words, plenty
fast enough for what you do.

I don't do any sort of heavy gaming.  Since I have a nice game on my
cell phone now, I play it almost all the time.  I can't recall playing a
game of solitaire on my computer in a long while.  My biggest thing, two
video ports, one for monitor and one for TV.  Most TV videos aren't very
high def but some are 1080P.  That's all my TV can handle.

Just exploring options.

Dale

:-)  :-)
Re: Slightly corrupted file systems when resuming from hibernation [ In reply to ]
On 2024-04-17, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

> I still use Nvidia and use nvidia drivers.  I to run into problems
> on occasion with drivers and kernels.  When you switched from
> Nvidia, what did you switch too? Do you still use drivers you
> install or kernel drivers?

All in-tree kernel drivers for integrated GPUs:

* Intel UHD Graphics 620
* Intel HD Graphics 4000
* Intel Xeon E3-1200
* AMD Picasso Radeon Vega

After I had to recycle my second perfectly functional NVidia card
simply because NVidia stopped driver support, I got fed up. I tried
the open-source nvidia drivers for those cards, but could never get
multiple screens to work.

> How well does the video system work?  In other words, plenty fast
> enough for what you do.

They're all fast enough for what I do (no heavy gaming, but I do play
with an RC flight simulator). All will drive at least two digital
monitors. The last machine that had an NVidia card removed is also
the oldest of the machines (Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Intel i5-3570K w/ HD
4000 graphics), and it's happily driving three monitors (1 HDMI, 1
DVI, 1 DP).

When running the flight-sim, the newest of them (the AMD/Radeon) is
noticeably smoother and runs at higher frame rates than the older Intel
GPUs. I didn't really have any complaints about the older ones, but I
don't expect a real gamer would have been satisfied with the Intel
ones.

> I don't do any sort of heavy gaming.  Since I have a nice game on my
> cell phone now, I play it almost all the time.  I can't recall
> playing a game of solitaire on my computer in a long while.  My
> biggest thing, two video ports, one for monitor and one for TV.
> Most TV videos aren't very high def but some are 1080P.  That's all
> my TV can handle.

They all seem to handle HD video playback just fine.

How many and what type of monitors can be driven is very much
dependent on the motherboard.

--
Grant
Re: Re: Slightly corrupted file systems when resuming from hibernation [ In reply to ]
Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2024-04-17, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I still use Nvidia and use nvidia drivers.  I to run into problems
>> on occasion with drivers and kernels.  When you switched from
>> Nvidia, what did you switch too? Do you still use drivers you
>> install or kernel drivers?
> All in-tree kernel drivers for integrated GPUs:
>
> * Intel UHD Graphics 620
> * Intel HD Graphics 4000
> * Intel Xeon E3-1200
> * AMD Picasso Radeon Vega
>
> After I had to recycle my second perfectly functional NVidia card
> simply because NVidia stopped driver support, I got fed up. I tried
> the open-source nvidia drivers for those cards, but could never get
> multiple screens to work.
>
>> How well does the video system work?  In other words, plenty fast
>> enough for what you do.
> They're all fast enough for what I do (no heavy gaming, but I do play
> with an RC flight simulator). All will drive at least two digital
> monitors. The last machine that had an NVidia card removed is also
> the oldest of the machines (Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Intel i5-3570K w/ HD
> 4000 graphics), and it's happily driving three monitors (1 HDMI, 1
> DVI, 1 DP).
>
> When running the flight-sim, the newest of them (the AMD/Radeon) is
> noticeably smoother and runs at higher frame rates than the older Intel
> GPUs. I didn't really have any complaints about the older ones, but I
> don't expect a real gamer would have been satisfied with the Intel
> ones.
>
>> I don't do any sort of heavy gaming.  Since I have a nice game on my
>> cell phone now, I play it almost all the time.  I can't recall
>> playing a game of solitaire on my computer in a long while.  My
>> biggest thing, two video ports, one for monitor and one for TV.
>> Most TV videos aren't very high def but some are 1080P.  That's all
>> my TV can handle.
> They all seem to handle HD video playback just fine.
>
> How many and what type of monitors can be driven is very much
> dependent on the motherboard.
>
> --
> Grant

I've often thought of trying ATI or something but just never did.  My
video cards tend to age out too because of driver issues.  From a cost
perspective, I kinda get it.  Still, I hate pitching a otherwise working
card.

Thanks for the info. More stuff to think on.

Dale

:-)  :-)

1 2  View All