Anybody know what it is or how to fix it? There are various posts about it but non of them apply to Gentoo installation.

The drivers seems to be loaded.

lsmod | grep vbox
vboxnetflt 28672 0
vboxnetadp 28672 0
vboxdrv 421888 2 vboxnetadp,vboxnetflt

--
Thelma
Re: VboxClient: the virtualbox kernel service is not running. Exiting [ In reply to ]
Dne út 12. 12. 2023 21:28 uživatel <thelma@sys-concept.com> napsal:

> After upgrade when I log in, I have message pop-up on to right hand screen:
>
> "VboxClient: the virtualbox kernel service is not running. Exiting"
>
> Anybody know what it is or how to fix it? There are various posts about
> it but non of them apply to Gentoo installation.
>
> The drivers seems to be loaded.
>
> lsmod | grep vbox
> vboxnetflt 28672 0
> vboxnetadp 28672 0
> vboxdrv 421888 2 vboxnetadp,vboxnetflt
>

> --
> Thelma

Pretty stupid question, but is the notification on the host system (the
system running the vm) or in the OS running on the VM?

May the Force be with you,
Vít Smolík.
Re: VboxClient: the virtualbox kernel service is not running. Exiting [ In reply to ]
On 12/12/2023 20:27, thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
> After upgrade when I log in, I have message pop-up on to right hand screen:
>
> "VboxClient: the virtualbox kernel service is not running.  Exiting"
>
> Anybody know what it is or how to fix it?  There are various posts about
> it  but non of them apply to Gentoo installation.
>
> The drivers seems to be loaded.
>
>  lsmod | grep vbox
> vboxnetflt             28672  0
> vboxnetadp             28672  0
> vboxdrv               421888  2 vboxnetadp,vboxnetflt

Is this a vbox upgrade or a kernel upgrade? If it's a kernel upgrade, I
always force a re-emerge of the modules.

Cheers,
Wol
Re: VboxClient: the virtualbox kernel service is not running. Exiting [ In reply to ]
On 12/12/23 13:58, Wol wrote:
> On 12/12/2023 20:27, thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
>> After upgrade when I log in, I have message pop-up on to right hand screen:
>>
>> "VboxClient: the virtualbox kernel service is not running.  Exiting"
>>
>> Anybody know what it is or how to fix it?  There are various posts about it  but non of them apply to Gentoo installation.
>>
>> The drivers seems to be loaded.
>>
>>   lsmod | grep vbox
>> vboxnetflt             28672  0
>> vboxnetadp             28672  0
>> vboxdrv               421888  2 vboxnetadp,vboxnetflt
>>

> Is this a vbox upgrade or a kernel upgrade? If it's a kernel upgrade, I always force a re-emerge of the modules.
>
> Cheers,
> Wol

It was a virtualbox upgrade (not kernel), the notification is on Gentoo host system running VM.

I might be related to "app-emulation/virtualbox-guest-additions"
Unmerging this package solved the problem, no more pop-up at login.
Re: VboxClient: the virtualbox kernel service is not running. Exiting [ In reply to ]
On 2023-12-12, thelma@sys-concept.com <thelma@sys-concept.com> wrote:

> It was a virtualbox upgrade (not kernel), the notification is on
> Gentoo host system running VM.

Were you trying to run guest additions on the host?

> I might be related to "app-emulation/virtualbox-guest-additions"
> Unmerging this package solved the problem, no more pop-up at login.

https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/app-emulation/virtualbox-guest-additions

"VirtualBox kernel modules and user-space tools for Gentoo guests"

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/VirtualBox

Guest Additions

To install the Guest Additions, invoke the following command on the
Gentoo guest system:

root #emerge --ask app-emulation/virtualbox-guest-additions

You do not install Gentoo virtualbox-guest-additions on the Gentoo
host.
Re: Re: VboxClient: the virtualbox kernel service is not running. Exiting [ In reply to ]
On 12/12/23 15:17, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2023-12-12, thelma@sys-concept.com <thelma@sys-concept.com> wrote:
>
>> It was a virtualbox upgrade (not kernel), the notification is on
>> Gentoo host system running VM.
>
> Were you trying to run guest additions on the host?

Gentoo is a main machine; Windows is running in VirtualBox on Gentoo Host.

So the package "app-emulation/virtualbox-guest-additions"
I think it installs some additional enhancement in Windows VM.

>> I might be related to "app-emulation/virtualbox-guest-additions"
>> Unmerging this package solved the problem, no more pop-up at login.
>
> https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/app-emulation/virtualbox-guest-additions
>
> "VirtualBox kernel modules and user-space tools for Gentoo guests"
>
> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/VirtualBox
>
> Guest Additions
>
> To install the Guest Additions, invoke the following command on the
> Gentoo guest system:
>
> root #emerge --ask app-emulation/virtualbox-guest-additions
>
> You do not install Gentoo virtualbox-guest-additions on the Gentoo
> host.

No, I stared Windows VM and installed virtualbox-guest-additions in there; it installed OK
The the error message I was getting
"VboxClient: the virtualbox kernel service is not running. Exiting"

was when I log into XFCE desktop, the above masses just pop-up for about 4-sec. and it dissipated.
Where were no errors starting Windows-VM, it is just annoying message pop-up; never seen it before.