Mailing List Archive

Video card. Will this work for me?
Howdy,

As most likely know, I'm in the process of building a new rig and
putting a couple older systems to use.  Most of my mobos support
PCIe-x16 2.0 for video cards.  I found a Nvidia NVS 510 that has four
mini HDMI outputs.  Research claims those are for multiple monitors, in
other words not cloned.  I can use mini HDMI to regular HDMI adapters
easy enough.  I found a website that lists Nvidia cards and I think this
will suite my needs rather well.  I currently have a GeForce GTX 650 and
it works just fine but it is older.  While this 510 isn't a spring
chicken by any means, it seems to be a little younger.  On my newer rig,
it will likely be PCI 3.0.  Will this card work in it as well?  In other
words, are they backward compatible?  I think I've read that mobos are
but want to be sure.

My plan, one output for my monitor and then have either one or two
outputs that are identical for my TV, I have one TV in bedroom and one
in living room.  Same picture on both TVs and audio is sent through the
HDMI cable.  I currently use one card output for TV and run it through a
splitter.  I don't think that is anything complicated and I'm pretty
sure that card will support that easily.  It never hurts to be sure.

Does anyone know of anything that would make it not work for my needs?
I plan to buy 3 cards; one maybe for new build, one or two as a backup
in case one fails.  Just want to be sure before I dive in.

Dale

:-)  :-)
Re: Video card. Will this work for me? [ In reply to ]
On 2023-10-13, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

> As most likely know, I'm in the process of building a new rig and
> putting a couple older systems to use.  Most of my mobos support
> PCIe-x16 2.0 for video cards.  I found a Nvidia NVS 510 that has four
> mini HDMI outputs.  Research claims those are for multiple monitors, in
> other words not cloned.  I can use mini HDMI to regular HDMI adapters
> easy enough.  I found a website that lists Nvidia cards and I think this
> will suite my needs rather well.  I currently have a GeForce GTX 650 and
> it works just fine but it is older.  While this 510 isn't a spring
> chicken by any means, it seems to be a little younger.  On my newer rig,
> it will likely be PCI 3.0.  Will this card work in it as well?  In other
> words, are they backward compatible?  I think I've read that mobos are
> but want to be sure.

Yes, PCIe cards are supposed to be backwards compatible with older
PCIe implementations on motherboards and vice-versa.

Be warned: I went through a couple generations of NVS-3xx cards. I had
to recycle both of them because NVidea driver support stopped long
before I had any real reason to replace either of the boards. [I could
never get the open-source driver to work.] After being forced to
replace a second perfectly servicable NVidia card, I swore never to by
NVidia again.

--
Grant