Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: 6.1.53-gentoo-r1 kernel not booting [ In reply to ]
On 10/7/23 12:13, Valmor F. de Almeida wrote:

> On 10/7/23 08:09, Peter Böhm wrote:
>> Am Samstag, 7. Oktober 2023, 08:28:01 CEST schrieb Valmor de Almeida:

[snip]

>> For me the following questions would arise:
>>
>> a) How did you install the kernel 6.1.41 ? (genkernel; dist-kernel;
>> manual
>> approach)

Sorry I described the install for the 6.1.53-gentoo-r1 kernel. The
install for 6.1.41 was similar but I used the config file from the
earlier kernel which is 6.1.38 to start make oldconfig.

--
Valmor

Re: Re: 6.1.53-gentoo-r1 kernel not booting [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Oct 7, 2023 at 9:18?AM Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
<SNIP>

> My first kernel, emerge prechecks warned that it wasn't and might or
might not work. So, I went back to a version that it claims is supported.
I have to say tho, the nvidia site wasn't very helpful. The messages when
emerging nvidia-drivers was a lot more help. That said, it does load the
drivers. They are listed with lsmod. Given the kernel is on my main rig,
it's harder to test since I don't reboot often. At some point, I may start
a thread about it if a update or something doesn't fix it. After all,
current kernel is working just fine.

> I just thought it worthwhile to follow this problem since it might help
or give clues on things to look into. Might be related, might not.

Hi Dale,

So assuming I understand your situation, you built nvidia-drivers to work
with
6.1.55 - but got no GUI. The build told you it might not work and it didn't.

You went back to an earlier kernel and it does work.

I don't think you shared what NVidia card is in this machine, and
I don't think you shared what version of NVidia drivers worked
with the old kernel and what version didn't work with the new kernel?

- Mark
Re: Re: 6.1.53-gentoo-r1 kernel not booting [ In reply to ]
Mark Knecht wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 7, 2023 at 9:18?AM Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com
> <mailto:rdalek1967@gmail.com>> wrote:
> <SNIP>
> >
> > My first kernel, emerge prechecks warned that it wasn't and might or
> might not work.  So, I went back to a version that it claims is
> supported.  I have to say tho, the nvidia site wasn't very helpful.
> The messages when emerging nvidia-drivers was a lot more help.  That
> said, it does load the drivers.  They are listed with lsmod.  Given
> the kernel is on my main rig, it's harder to test since I don't reboot
> often.  At some point, I may start a thread about it if a update or
> something doesn't fix it.  After all, current kernel is working just
> fine.
> >
> > I just thought it worthwhile to follow this problem since it might
> help or give clues on things to look into.  Might be related, might not.
> >
> Hi Dale,
>
> So assuming I understand your situation, you built nvidia-drivers to
> work with
> 6.1.55 - but got no GUI. The build told you it might not work and it
> didn't.
>
> You went back to an earlier kernel and it does work.
>
> I don't think you shared what NVidia card is in this machine, and
> I don't think you shared what version of NVidia drivers worked
> with the old kernel and what version didn't work with the new kernel?
>
> - Mark

Actually, I went to the latest version in the tree, 6.5, and got the
message it likely won't work.  I went back to a version the message said
should work, 6.1.  It still doesn't work.  It may be the driver, it may
not be.  I could have left something new out in the kernel that it needs
but I didn't know it.  It could be any number of things.  At some point
when I got time to mess with it, I'm going to boot into the kernel that
doesn't work and save the log files, sddm, Xorg etc.  Then maybe it will
have a clue as to the problem.

Until then I just want to sort of follow this to see if it might help
with my problem.  If not, oh well.

Dale

:-)  :-)

P. S.  My pack of drives arrived early.  Running SMART test on them
now.  :-D
Re: Re: 6.1.53-gentoo-r1 kernel not booting [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 7 Oct 2023 13:55:05 -0500, Dale wrote:

> Actually, I went to the latest version in the tree, 6.5, and got the
> message it likely won't work.  I went back to a version the message said
> should work, 6.1.  It still doesn't work.  It may be the driver, it may
> not be.

What does /var/log/Xorg.0.log tell you?

--
Neil Bothwick

What do you have when you have six lawyers buried up to their necks in
sand? Not enough sand.
Re: 6.1.53-gentoo-r1 kernel not booting [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 7 Oct 2023 12:13:58 -0400, Valmor F. de Almeida wrote:

> 2) make oldconfig in the new kernel directory for linux-6.1.53-gentoo-r1
>
> • Mitigations for speculative execution vulnerabilities
> *
> Mitigations for speculative execution vulnerabilities
> (SPECULATION_MITIGATIONS) [Y/n/?] y
> Remove the kernel mapping in user mode (PAGE_TABLE_ISOLATION)
> [Y/n/?] y Avoid speculative indirect branches in kernel (RETPOLINE)
> [Y/n/?] y Enable return-thunks (RETHUNK) [Y/n/?] y
> Enable UNRET on kernel entry (CPU_UNRET_ENTRY) [Y/n/?] y
> Enable IBPB on kernel entry (CPU_IBPB_ENTRY) [Y/n/?] y
> Enable IBRS on kernel entry (CPU_IBRS_ENTRY) [Y/n/?] y
>
> Up to here default is picked automatically; I don't have a choice.

Those are settings you already have in your existing confid, shown to
give context to the following NEW settings.

You can change them, but with make config, not oldconfig.

--
Neil Bothwick

Love is grand. Divorce is a few grand more.
Re: Re: 6.1.53-gentoo-r1 kernel not booting [ In reply to ]
Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Oct 2023 13:55:05 -0500, Dale wrote:
>
>> Actually, I went to the latest version in the tree, 6.5, and got the
>> message it likely won't work.  I went back to a version the message said
>> should work, 6.1.  It still doesn't work.  It may be the driver, it may
>> not be.
> What does /var/log/Xorg.0.log tell you?

I was in a hurry so I didn't look.  When I got time, I'll reboot and
save the logs so I can see them and look for clues or if I can't see
anything, post to see if someone else does.

It could be that my particular card has a issue with that driver version
and kernel version.  Maybe a update later will fix that.  I dunno.  I
just went back to my older kernel and got my system up and running
again.  I got quite a bit going on at the moment so it may be a while
before I get back around to it.  I been trying to update to a newer
kernel for over a year now.  o_O  Always something.

Dale

:-)  :-)

1 2  View All