pulled pillow, as expected. No avail.
Thanks

Jorge Almeida
Re: mcomix (really python) [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Sep 7, 2023 at 11:51?AM Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@gmail.com> wrote:

> $ mcomix foo.cbr
> 10:44:31 [MainThread] ERROR: You don't have the required version of the
> Python Imaging Library Fork (Pillow) installed.
> 10:44:31 [MainThread] ERROR: Installed Pillow version is: 10.0.0
> 10:44:31 [MainThread] ERROR: Required Pillow version is: 6.0.0 or higher
>
> What is one supposed to do with an error message like this?!
> I even uninstalled pillow and then re-emerged mcomix. Sure enough, it
> pulled pillow, as expected. No avail.
> Thanks
>

> My first guess is the version number comparison is literal not numeric.
Something that starts with a 1 is smaller than something that starts with a
6.
Log a bug.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
Re: mcomix (really python) [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 7 Sept 2023 at 11:51, Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@gmail.com> wrote:

> $ mcomix foo.cbr
> 10:44:31 [MainThread] ERROR: You don't have the required version of the Python Imaging Library Fork (Pillow) installed.
> 10:44:31 [MainThread] ERROR: Installed Pillow version is: 10.0.0
> 10:44:31 [MainThread] ERROR: Required Pillow version is: 6.0.0 or higher
>
> What is one supposed to do with an error message like this?!
> I even uninstalled pillow and then re-emerged mcomix. Sure enough, it pulled pillow, as expected. No avail.
> Thanks

Had a lot of trouble with mcomix when I tried it sometime in the last
few years. If you already have most of the dependencies I can
recommend trying app-text/evince as an alternative. It works fine in
my limited usage.

Regards,
Arve
Re: mcomix (really python) [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Sep 7, 2023 at 11:14?AM Arve Barsnes <arve.barsnes@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Sept 2023 at 11:51, Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > $ mcomix foo.cbr
> > 10:44:31 [MainThread] ERROR: You don't have the required version of the
> Python Imaging Library Fork (Pillow) installed.
> > 10:44:31 [MainThread] ERROR: Installed Pillow version is: 10.0.0
> > 10:44:31 [MainThread] ERROR: Required Pillow version is: 6.0.0 or higher
> >

> Had a lot of trouble with mcomix when I tried it sometime in the last

I've been using mcomix without problems. This is something new (I update my
system weekly and only noticed this problem today; well, I don't use mcomix
every week, but even so...)

> few years. If you already have most of the dependencies I can
> recommend trying app-text/evince as an alternative. It works fine in
> my limited usage.

Nope. I don't run a Gnome system, and evince pulls an absurd bunch of
dependencies, even with most USE variables unset ("absurd" as in: why would
I need elogind, udisks, polkit, etc. just to read a comic book or view a
pdf?). By the way: zathura works fine, with very few dependencies, and
reads comic books, as well as pdf/djvu files. But it doesn't offer that
handy index sidebar with thumbnails.

Thanks,

Jorge
Re: mcomix (really python) [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 7 Sept 2023 at 13:12, Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nope. I don't run a Gnome system, and evince pulls an absurd bunch of dependencies, even with most USE variables unset

Sure, which is why I put in that caveat :)

> why would I need elogind, udisks, polkit, etc. just to read a comic book or view a pdf?

I do have elogind because sddm requires it (have been pondering if I
should switch), but I don't have udisks or polkit, so those can at
least be controlled with some USE variables.

Regards,
Arve
Re: mcomix (really python) [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Sep 7, 2023 at 12:39?PM Arve Barsnes <arve.barsnes@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Sept 2023 at 13:12, Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Nope. I don't run a Gnome system, and evince pulls an absurd bunch of
> dependencies, even with most USE variables unset
>
> Sure, which is why I put in that caveat :)

Yes, I understood what you meant. I was just saying that I don't have most
dependencies installed.

> > why would I need elogind, udisks, polkit, etc. just to read a comic book
> or view a pdf?
>
> I do have elogind because sddm requires it (have been pondering if I
> should switch), but I don't have udisks or polkit, so those can at
> least be controlled with some USE variables.

That's curious. I just tried emerge -p evince with all USE variables unset
and it refuses to comply. Some dependencies suffer from "unmet
requirements". Never mind. evince was made for Gnome users, which I'm not.
I'll wait to see what gives re mcomix... (For viewing files for which a
thumbnails-based index is not a must I'll just stick with zathura.)

Regards

Jorge
Re: mcomix (really python) [ In reply to ]
On 2023-09-07, Jorge Almeida wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 7, 2023 at 12:39?PM Arve Barsnes <arve.barsnes@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 7 Sept 2023 at 13:12, Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Nope. I don't run a Gnome system, and evince pulls an absurd bunch of
>> dependencies, even with most USE variables unset
>>
>> Sure, which is why I put in that caveat :)
>>

> Yes, I understood what you meant. I was just saying that I don't have most
> dependencies installed.
>

>> > why would I need elogind, udisks, polkit, etc. just to read a comic book
>> or view a pdf?
>>
>> I do have elogind because sddm requires it (have been pondering if I
>> should switch), but I don't have udisks or polkit, so those can at
>> least be controlled with some USE variables.
>>

> That's curious. I just tried emerge -p evince with all USE variables unset
> and it refuses to comply. Some dependencies suffer from "unmet
> requirements". Never mind. evince was made for Gnome users, which I'm not.
> I'll wait to see what gives re mcomix... (For viewing files for which a
> thumbnails-based index is not a must I'll just stick with zathura.)
>
> Regards
>
> Jorge

There's also for example qcomicbook, if you have Qt on your system.

But this really looks like something to be fixed on the mcomix side. It
has already been fixed in version 2.2.0:

https://sourceforge.net/p/mcomix/git/ci/master/tree/ChangeLog

If I'm reading correctly, 2.2.1 is in the tree, so you could see if
unmasking that one before it gets stabilized is a possibility.

The relevant change appears to be:

https://sourceforge.net/p/mcomix/git/ci/04785a835b6c0e0782c9d0689686b0c1139febb1/tree/mcomix/run.py?diff=ae7d6a03f001de3241e586b1b285ce624383f344

from https://sourceforge.net/p/mcomix/git/ci/04785a835b6c0e0782c9d0689686b0c1139febb1/

(Which might be useful in case you want to try to add a patch to the
version you currently have installed)

--
Nuno Silva
Re: Re: mcomix (really python) [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Sep 8, 2023 at 8:23?AM Nuno Silva <nunojsilva@ist.utl.pt> wrote:

> There's also for example qcomicbook, if you have Qt on your system.

Yes, I have QT and qcomicbook emerged just fine (no dependency forest).
However, I found it useless: the menu lacks entries for custom zoom (I
mean, something like "+" and "-" that similar software offers). This is a
party killer for me. Maybe it's hidden somewhere...
Anyway, I solved the problem by installing the current version of mcomix
from the sourceforge site. That would be version 2.3.0, whereas the
"stable" version in gentoo is 2.1.0!
(mcomix allows installing as non-privileged user in ~/.local/, hence it
does not conflict with portage. No dependencies needed to be installed, I
guess an up to date gentoo system alfready has what is needed.)

Thanks

Jorge