Mailing List Archive

Solved for now: some help with wayland (wrong display settings)
On 2023.06.10 17:56, Jack wrote:
> Still some work to do, but much better now.
>
> In the sterr output when run as a new user where both screens are
> used, I saw
> Checking screens: available: (QScreen(0x55723012fa90,
> name="DVI-I-1"), QScreen(0x55723011a010, name="DVI-I-2")) redundant:
> QHash() fake: QSet() all: (QScreen(0x55723012fa90, name="DVI-I-1"),
> QScreen(0x55723011a010, name="DVI-I-2"))
>
> but run as my regular user, where wayland only finds one screen, I saw
> Checking screens: available: (QScreen(0x55ff257aaaf0,
> name="DVI-I-2")) redundant: QHash() fake: QSet() all:
> (QScreen(0x55ff257aaaf0, name="DVI-I-2"))
>
> After flailing about trying to figure out why one of the monitors
> didn't seem to be available, I found kscreen-doctor and I realized
> that I COULD select the "missing" monitor in the Display Settings and
> enable it. I'm still having problems getting that change and the
> relative positioning of the two monitors to stick across sessions,
> but at least I've now got stuff to work with.

While figuring out the kscree-doctor commands to set the displays, I
discovered I had some old data in ~/.local/share/kscreen. Deleting
that folder appears to have let plasma simply find the right default
configuration, without my actually needing to set or fix anything.
That folder has not been recreated by plasma, so I don't know why it
was overriding reality, nor where the equivalent now lives.