Mailing List Archive

kde-plasma seems to have lost its mind
(Although I admit I'm beginning to wonder about myself.)

I've done a number of upgrades recently, and when I rebooted into kernel
6.3.3 yesterday, the boot seemed to go fine, but when I started
kde-plasma, things did not go well.  I could vaguely see the "outlines"
of the desktop, but there was no recognizable wallpaper or any text.
The background was a solid light blue.  I could see some which or light
gray boxes where there should be windows.  If I move the mouse (no
visible cursor) to the top of the screen, something that might be the
panel shows up - but solid white.  I see a tall striped window that is
probably gkrellm. Sometimes, I can right click on the desktop and guess
where the "logout" button is on the window that pops up, but sometimes I
need to kill things from a different console.

With no noticeable change in behavior, I've rebooted into the two
previous kernels (6.3.0 and 6.2.11) and rolled back plasma from ~5.27.5
to 5.27.4.  I've reinstalled xorg-server 21.1.8, and all of its
xf86-input and -video drivers.  I get the same behavior with an empty
~/.config or as a new test user.  This is an amd64 system mostly stable,
with select testing apps.  kde-apps are 22.12.3.  I'm about to try
rolling back kde-frameworks from ~5.106.0 to 5.104.0 and mesa from
~23.1.0 to 23.0.3-r1.  I haven't seen anything  I recognize as a problem
in the X log, dmesg, or /var/log/messages.

I realize I'm not provide anything solid to go on.  I do figure it's
something in my configuration or I would have found other reports.  I'm
mainly hoping someone can suggest what else I can try or where to look
for hints, as I'm about out of ideas, beyond tracing back through all
recent upgrades.

Jack

(I figure there's a maybe 25% chance I'll discover the problem as soon
as I embarrass myself by posting this.)
Re: kde-plasma seems to have lost its mind [ In reply to ]
On 2023.05.19 18:05, Jack wrote:
> (Although I admit I'm beginning to wonder about myself.)
>
> I've done a number of upgrades recently, and when I rebooted into
> kernel 6.3.3 yesterday, the boot seemed to go fine, but when I
> started kde-plasma, things did not go well.? I could vaguely see the
> "outlines" of the desktop, but there was no recognizable wallpaper or
> any text.? The background was a solid light blue.? I could see some
> which or light gray boxes where there should be windows.? If I move
> the mouse (no visible cursor) to the top of the screen, something
> that might be the panel shows up - but solid white.? I see a tall
> striped window that is probably gkrellm. Sometimes, I can right click
> on the desktop and guess where the "logout" button is on the window
> that pops up, but sometimes I need to kill things from a different
> console.
>
> With no noticeable change in behavior, I've rebooted into the two
> previous kernels (6.3.0 and 6.2.11) and rolled back plasma from
> ~5.27.5 to 5.27.4.? I've reinstalled xorg-server 21.1.8, and all of
> its xf86-input and -video drivers.? I get the same behavior with an
> empty ~/.config or as a new test user.? This is an amd64 system
> mostly stable, with select testing apps.? kde-apps are 22.12.3.? I'm
> about to try rolling back kde-frameworks from ~5.106.0 to 5.104.0 and
> mesa from ~23.1.0 to 23.0.3-r1.? I haven't seen anything? I recognize
> as a problem in the X log, dmesg, or /var/log/messages.
>
> I realize I'm not provide anything solid to go on.? I do figure it's
> something in my configuration or I would have found other reports.?
> I'm mainly hoping someone can suggest what else I can try or where to
> look for hints, as I'm about out of ideas, beyond tracing back
> through all recent upgrades.
>
> Jack
>
> (I figure there's a maybe 25% chance I'll discover the problem as
> soon as I embarrass myself by posting this.)

Pretty much as I figured - downgrading mesa from 23.1.0 to 23.0.3-r1
has plasma working just fine. I'll test again with 23.1.0 and file a
bug if the problem is repeatable.