installikng orca, it complans that espeak and espeak-ng can not be
installed at the same time.  What is strange is that espeak is not even
installed at this point.  Installing espeak-ng installs without a
problem.  Perhaps this is a bug that perhaps is unreported.  Perhaps an
accessibility profile could be created for this.  Thanks and hope that
this is something that can be looked at.  The wiki doesn't have much in
the way of accessibility in particular installing.  Thanks again.

Matthew
Re: Question about gentoo accessibility. [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 02 May 2023 14:06:34 -0400,
Matthew Dyer wrote:

> Good afternoon all,
>

> This question might be better sooted for the accessibility list,
> but seeing that I don't seem to be getting help there I thought I
> would bring it up here.? First off, I am an orca user in the gui,
> but use espeakup in or fenrir in the concel.? I find that booting
> the officael iso, there is no easy way to boot up with
> speech. For example, in debian, at the boot prompt, pressing S
> will bring up the installer with speech and you can follow the
> prompts in the text installer which uses espeakup.? Could
> something simlar be done for gentoo?? My work around has been to
> use another linux distro iso.? I.E ubuntu to do the install
> following the wiki, but seening there is no way to get speech
> after, that is whare? I fall short.? The other problem is that if
> trying to install accessibility packages like orca, there seems
> to be alot of problems with conflicks with flags and
> dependencies.? For example, when installikng orca, it complans
> that espeak and espeak-ng can not be installed at the same time.?
> What is strange is that espeak is not even installed at this
> point.? Installing espeak-ng installs without a problem.? Perhaps
> this is a bug that perhaps is unreported.? Perhaps an
> accessibility profile could be created for this.? Thanks and hope
> that this is something that can be looked at.? The wiki doesn't
> have much in the way of accessibility in particular installing.?
> Thanks again.

I have installed gentoo several times, using the gentoo iso, not the
live distribution. I get all the way through, update the system and
then worry about orca later, depending on what gui I want to install
-- I have installed orca from master and used gnome as my gui. The
regular gentoo iso has the speakup modules enabled in the kernel, so
this should not be too bad. What helps greatly is a hardware speech
synthesizer, for software speech you might have to install something
like espeakup, I have not done things that way, so experimentation
would be necessary.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any further questions.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com
Re: Question about gentoo accessibility. [ In reply to ]
To clarify, that's the gentoo minimal iso I think John uses to install.
So far as I know the live iso hasn't got espeak built into its kernel.

-- Jude <jdashiel at panix dot com> "There are four boxes to be used in
defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that
order." Ed Howdershelt 1940.