Mailing List Archive

dev-lang/php - making binary
php-7.4 will be getting obsolete in the future and converting my code to php-8 might not be easy.
So I want to make a binary of the current dev-lang/php-7.4.33-r2 just in case in the near future they will pull out the old version out of the portage.

Will making binary allow me to install dev-lang/php-7.4.33-r2 (binary) with future upgrades (after PHP-7.4 is gone from the portage)?

Do I need to make binary of packages dev-lang/php-7.4 depends on?

equery d dev-lang/php
* These packages depend on dev-lang/php:
dev-db/phpmyadmin-5.2.1 (dev-lang/php[ctype,filter,json(+),session,ssl,unicode])
(dev-lang/php[mysqli])
(dev-lang/php[mysql])
media-libs/libvpx-1.12.0-r1 (doc ? dev-lang/php)
virtual/httpd-php-7.4 (dev-lang/php:7.4[fpm])
(dev-lang/php:7.4[apache2])
(dev-lang/php:7.4[cgi]

Step to make PHP-7.4 binary (am I missing anything)?

1. add package to: /etc/portage/package.use
echo " dev-lang/php mysql mysqli gd" >> /etc/portage/package.use

2.) emerge --buildpk dev-lang/php

3.) The binary package file will be created in the /usr/portage/packages directory.

4.) To install the binary package on another Gentoo system, copy the .tbz2 file to the other system's /usr/portage/packages directory and run the following command:

emerge --usepkg dev-lang/php

Am I missing anything?

--
Thelma
Re: dev-lang/php - making binary [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 2023-04-15 at 18:57 -0600, thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
> So I want to make a binary of the current dev-lang/php-7.4.33-r2 just
> in case in the near future they will pull out the old version out of
> the portage.
>
> Will making binary allow me to install dev-lang/php-7.4.33-r2
> (binary) with future upgrades (after PHP-7.4 is gone from the
> portage)?

You can keep a copy of the ebuild so even if it's removed from portage
you will be able to install it.

Even without a copy, you will be able to retrieve it from git history.

--
Julien
Re: dev-lang/php - making binary [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 2023-04-15 at 21:29 -0400, julien@jroy.ca wrote:

> You can keep a copy of the ebuild so even if it's removed from portage
> you will be able to install it.
>
> Even without a copy, you will be able to retrieve it from git history.

This is a better idea.

I'll warn you though, PHP upstream has aggressively discontinued
support for php-7.4. You may soon find that it stops working with your
compiler or OpenSSL, for example, and you'll be vulnerable to the
security issues fixed in php-8.x.