Thoughts?

Dale

:-)  :-)
Re: df command no longer working [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Feb 12, 2023 at 1:37 PM Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
<SNIP>
> I did a re-emerge of coreutils, then some of its
> friends. It still doesn't work.

I saw some clickbait news that coreutils is being rewritten in Rust
but I don't think it's been released to the general public. However
if you run non-stable packages then possibly you picked it up?

Possibly mask the version you are currently using and see if
an older version is working?
Re: df command no longer working [ In reply to ]
Am Sun, Feb 12, 2023 at 02:37:22PM -0600 schrieb Dale:
> Howdy,
>
> As some may recall, I'm bad to fill up a hard drive.  I regularly use df
> -h to see where drives are as far as filling up and such.  Usually, it
> takes only a second or so to list them all.  Speed is one reason I use
> it.  I did my regular updates last weekend and for the past few days, it
> hasn't worked.  I did a re-emerge of coreutils, then some of its
> friends.  It still doesn't work.  When I run df -h, it just sits there.
> It will sit there for hours, doing nothing it seems.  Eventually, I hit
> ctrl c to kill it.
>
> Anyone else running into this?  Any idea as to why it stopped working?
> I can't find anything on BGO.  Searching for only two characters is a
> bit hard tho.  o_O

Sounds a little bit like a hanging NFS share; df goes through all mounts and
tries to access them, but one isn’t responding.

--
Grüße | Greetings | Salut | Qapla’
Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.

Democracy is a process which guarantees that
we are not governed any better than we deserve.
Re: df command no longer working [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> writes:

> Howdy,
>
> As some may recall, I'm bad to fill up a hard drive.  I regularly use df
> -h to see where drives are as far as filling up and such.  Usually, it
> takes only a second or so to list them all.  Speed is one reason I use
> it.  I did my regular updates last weekend and for the past few days, it
> hasn't worked.  I did a re-emerge of coreutils, then some of its
> friends.  It still doesn't work.  When I run df -h, it just sits there.
> It will sit there for hours, doing nothing it seems.  Eventually, I hit
> ctrl c to kill it.
>
> Anyone else running into this?  Any idea as to why it stopped working?
> I can't find anything on BGO.  Searching for only two characters is a
> bit hard tho.  o_O
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

Try applying df to a single filesystem, like: ``df -h /''. If that
works, get an strace of df and also post that.

Have a great night.
--
Arsen Arsenovi?
Re: df command no longer working [ In reply to ]
Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
> Am Sun, Feb 12, 2023 at 02:37:22PM -0600 schrieb Dale:
>> Howdy,
>>
>> As some may recall, I'm bad to fill up a hard drive.  I regularly use df
>> -h to see where drives are as far as filling up and such.  Usually, it
>> takes only a second or so to list them all.  Speed is one reason I use
>> it.  I did my regular updates last weekend and for the past few days, it
>> hasn't worked.  I did a re-emerge of coreutils, then some of its
>> friends.  It still doesn't work.  When I run df -h, it just sits there.
>> It will sit there for hours, doing nothing it seems.  Eventually, I hit
>> ctrl c to kill it.
>>
>> Anyone else running into this?  Any idea as to why it stopped working?
>> I can't find anything on BGO.  Searching for only two characters is a
>> bit hard tho.  o_O
> Sounds a little bit like a hanging NFS share; df goes through all mounts and
> tries to access them, but one isn’t responding.

This was the one.  I guess I forgot to umount my backup NAS before
shutting it down.  Obviously, since the machine is off right now, it
wasn't responding.  I did a umount -f on it and now it works again.

I thought I used df since my last update but wasn't sure.  I thought
maybe a update broke a symlink or something, which is why I re-emerged
several packages.  Didn't occur to me to check the NAS mount point.

Thanks to all.  It's working again.  I need to buy more drives again
tho.  Getting close to 90% on some and over 90% on backup NAS.  :/

Dale

:-)  :-)