I'd like to re-read the "Messages for package ..." output from emerge
after the fact. Is there a concise collection of that somewhere? Or do
I have to pilfer through logs of each and every package to find it?

I'm hoping that the "Messages for package ..." output that shows up at
the end of an emerge (e.g. @system or @world) is conveniently available.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die
Re: Is the "Messages for package ..." output from emerge logged somewhere? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 16:35:58 -0500,
Grant Taylor wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is the "Messages for package ..." output from emerge logged somewhere?
>
> I'd like to re-read the "Messages for package ..." output from
> emerge after the fact. Is there a concise collection of that
> somewhere? Or do I have to pilfer through logs of each and every
> package to find it?
>
> I'm hoping that the "Messages for package ..." output that shows
> up at the end of an emerge (e.g. @system or @world) is
> conveniently available.

If you have save_summary (check spelling) in your make.conf then they
are in /var/log/portage/elog/summary.txt .

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com
Re: Is the "Messages for package ..." output from emerge logged somewhere? [ In reply to ]
On 2021-02-28 14:35-0700 Grant Taylor
<gtaylor@gentoo.tnetconsulting.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is the "Messages for package ..." output from emerge logged somewhere?
>
> I'd like to re-read the "Messages for package ..." output from emerge
> after the fact. Is there a concise collection of that somewhere? Or
> do I have to pilfer through logs of each and every package to find it?
>
> I'm hoping that the "Messages for package ..." output that shows up
> at the end of an emerge (e.g. @system or @world) is conveniently
> available.

I'm not sure if the logs are stored by default, but if you set
PORTAGE_ELOG_SYSTEM="save" in make.conf, portage saves one log per
package in $PORTAGE_LOGDIR/elog. You can also have portage mail them to
you. See /usr/share/portage/config/make.conf.example for details.

There are also tools available to view these logs more comfortably:
app-portage/elogv and app-portage/elogviewer.

Kind regards, tastytea

--
Get my PGP key with `gpg --locate-keys tastytea@tastytea.de` or at
<https://tastytea.de/tastytea.asc>.