there any better, simpler solutions?

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>
Re: Simple replacement for "getmail"? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 22 Jul 2020 01:02:43 -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:

> Would "fetchmail" work as a drop-in replacement for getmail here? Are
> there any better, simpler solutions?

I switched to getmail years ago because of frustrations with fetchmail.
At the moment I have getmail in my overlay and unmasked so I'm still
using it, but a comparable alternative would be welcome.

--
Neil Bothwick

The considered application of terror is also a form of communication.
Re: Simple replacement for "getmail"? [ In reply to ]
Walter Dnes wrote:

> Would "fetchmail" work as a drop-in replacement for getmail here? Are
> there any better, simpler solutions?

I don't know "getmail", but "fetchmail" runs here since 10 years
without any problems. Just put a line like

poll securepop.t-online.de proto pop3
user "mail@there", with password "pass@there", is "mail@here" here, ssl;

into /etc/fetchmailrc, adjust polling_period="300" in
/etc/conf.d/fetchmail, and that's it. (Of course, the usual
stuff like "/etc/init.d/fetchmail start" and "rc-update
add fetchmail default".)

-Matt
Re: Simple replacement for "getmail"? [ In reply to ]
> Would "fetchmail" work as a drop-in replacement for getmail here? Are
> there any better, simpler solutions?

> Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

I generally use mpop, and msmtp to send mail.

I suppose you could use mutt; I also have Steffen Nurpmeso's s-mailx on the back of my mind, having used nail when I was using Slackware.

What put me off Slackware was their package manager completely ignoring dependencies; I was spoiled by NetBSD pkgsrc and FreeBSD ports.

Tom
Re: Simple replacement for "getmail"? [ In reply to ]
>On Wed, 22 Jul 2020 01:02:43 -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
>
>> Would "fetchmail" work as a drop-in replacement for getmail here? Are
>> there any better, simpler solutions?
>
>I switched to getmail years ago because of frustrations with fetchmail.
>At the moment I have getmail in my overlay and unmasked so I'm still
>using it, but a comparable alternative would be welcome.

getmail6 is a fork of getmail-5.14. The project is on github
https://github.com/getmail6

It is early days but it is currently working for me fetching from POP3,
POP3 with SSL, and IMAP with ssl.

My description of what I did to get it into my overlay is shown at
https://github.com/getmail6/getmail6/issues/7#issuecomment-661534001

The instructions in the README say how to install it in a directory of
your choice.

DaveF

Re: Simple replacement for "getmail"? [ In reply to ]
> On 22 Jul 2020, at 12:01, Matthias Hanft <mh@hanft.de> wrote:
>
> I don't know "getmail", but "fetchmail" runs here since 10 years
> without any problems. Just put a line like

+1
Re: Simple replacement for "getmail"? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 12:01:02PM +0200, Matthias Hanft wrote
> Walter Dnes wrote:
> >
> > Would "fetchmail" work as a drop-in replacement for getmail here? Are
> > there any better, simpler solutions?
>
> I don't know "getmail", but "fetchmail" runs here since 10 years
> without any problems. Just put a line like
>
> poll securepop.t-online.de proto pop3
> user "mail@there", with password "pass@there", is "mail@here" here, ssl;
>
> into /etc/fetchmailrc, adjust polling_period="300" in
> /etc/conf.d/fetchmail, and that's it. (Of course, the usual
> stuff like "/etc/init.d/fetchmail start" and "rc-update
> add fetchmail default".)

I'd prefer to launch manually as required. According to weboage
https://calomel.org/fetchmailrc.html I can set up $HOME/.fetchmailrc
I want to pull email from my local ISP and from 3 other (remote) servers.

Notes:
1) I want to run in "single-drop mode".
2) I do *NOT* want bouncing under any circumstances.
3) My procmail script (built up over the years) decides which local
inbox an individual email goes to.

Here's a first attempt at a ~/.fetchmailrc. I'll have to insert correct
names later...

set logfile fetchmail.log
poll inmail.myisp.com proto POP3
user "remote_username" pass "PASSWORD=" is "local_username" preconnect "date >> fetchmail.log"
#ssl
fetchall
no keep
no rewrite
mda "/usr/bin/procmail -f %F";

set logfile fetchmail.log
poll inmail.server2.com proto POP3
user "remote_username" pass "PASSWORD=" is "local_username" preconnect "date >> fetchmail.log"
ssl
fetchall
no keep
no rewrite
mda "/usr/bin/procmail -f %F";

set logfile fetchmail.log
poll inmail.server3.com proto POP3
user "remote_username" pass "PASSWORD=" is "local_username" preconnect "date >> fetchmail.log"
ssl
fetchall
no keep
no rewrite