Any pointers, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Ben

Re: QLA2xxx [ In reply to ]
BRM wrote:
> I recently acquired a SunBlade 2000 Workstation. As neither I nor any the other admins are very familiar with Solaris, we are trying to put Gentoo/SPARC on the system. However, we have run into an issue with Gentoo 2007.0 as Linux won't find the SCSI hard drive that is attached via a QLA2xxx device - the only number I can get is ISP2200, so I suppose it is suppose to be the QLA2200 - so we can't even start the install, or get to a point where we can even try to compile the driver source.
>
> I've noticed there were a number of issues with this card in the forums with kernels after 2.6.16. Has anyone found an answer? The 2007.0 ISOs seem to have the latest firmware from Qlogic, which I tried downloading to the system, but we continued to get the "NVRAM inconsistency" message.
>
> I also noticed there is a newer edition of the qlogic firmware in portage. Does anyone know how I might be able to get the system to use the newer code? Will the 2008.0 ISOs use the new code? (If so, I'm sure I could wait for the 2008.0 SPARC image.)
>
> Any pointers, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
>
> TIA,
>
> Ben

A similar issue is discussed here:

jim
RE: QLA2xxx [ In reply to ]
The problem comes from the fact that the firmware is in the disk at /lib/firmware starting from kernel 2.6.18 or something. If you boot the 2617 from the CD it will probably work fine.
Anyway even creating a proper initrd with that /lib/firmware the kernel does not load it. Don't know why.

Of course there will not be a step-back to put the firmware inside the kernel.

I've patched the kernel to make the firmware compiled within. Of course this is not "legal" because the decision to move firmwares outside the kernel was taken for license issues I guess.

These are the steps, if you are interested:
1) copy the attached .c files in the /usr/src
2) modify the linux/drivers/scsi/qla2xxx/qla_init.c in the following way:
- after the includes add a #include "/usr/src/ql2200_fw_main.c"
- rename the function qla2x00_load_risc() to anything else, like qla2x00_load_risc_old()

done.
recompile the kernel. no need for the initrd. The firmware will be compiled within the kernel, and loaded from there.
pablo

RE: QLA2xxx [ In reply to ]
Hi,

> The problem comes from the fact that the firmware is in the disk at
> /lib/firmware starting from kernel 2.6.18 or something. If you boot
> the 2617 from the CD it will probably work fine.
> Anyway even creating a proper initrd with that /lib/firmware the
> kernel does not load it. Don't know why.

Using an initrd works fine for me, you probably just forgot to put udev
in it.

My initrd basicly looks like this:
/dev/console
/dev/null
/bin/busybox
/bin/udevd
/lib/udev/firmware.sh
/lib/udev/udev.conf
/lib/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules
/firmware/ql2200_fw.bin
/lib/modules/`uname -r`/modules.dep
/lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/scsi/qla2xxx/qla2xxx.ko
/linuxrc

The script I used to create it is available @
http://porno-bullen.de/~bluebird/initrd-qla2xxx/ but don't blame me if
it doesn't work ;)

Cheers,
bluebird

Re: QLA2xxx [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 21 February 2008 14:50, Friedrich Oslage wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > The problem comes from the fact that the firmware is in the disk at
> > /lib/firmware starting from kernel 2.6.18 or something. If you boot
> > the 2617 from the CD it will probably work fine.
> > Anyway even creating a proper initrd with that /lib/firmware the
> > kernel does not load it. Don't know why.
>
> Using an initrd works fine for me, you probably just forgot to put udev
> in it.
>
> My initrd basicly looks like this:
> /dev/console
> /dev/null
> /bin/busybox
> /bin/udevd
> /lib/udev/firmware.sh
> /lib/udev/udev.conf
> /lib/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules
> /firmware/ql2200_fw.bin
> /lib/modules/`uname -r`/modules.dep
> /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/scsi/qla2xxx/qla2xxx.ko
> /linuxrc
>
> The script I used to create it is available @
> http://porno-bullen.de/~bluebird/initrd-qla2xxx/ but don't blame me if
> it doesn't work ;)
>
> Cheers,
> bluebird

This is the preferred method -- to let udev handle the firmware loading.
However if you don't have udev in the initrd or it doesn't work, all is not
lost. There's a way to manually load the firmware, but it's tricky. It's
tricky because you have to be very quick -- you'll have maybe up to 4-5
seconds to load the firmware. Here's how:

1) boot the machine (either with an initrd from the hard drive or with an
installation cd.)
2) drop to a shell somehow -- I don't run gentoo so I don't know if the
installer has this option but debian does and so does ubuntu for sparc.
3) Load qla2xxx.ko (just modprobe qla2xxx)
4) Find out the device path in /sys (on my sunfire280r
it's /sys/devices/pci0001\:00/0001\:00\:04.0/) It might take you a few tries
to find out. Look for a file /sys/devices/pci0001:00/0001:00:04.0/obppath
with this line
/pci@8,600000/SUNW,qlc@4. (the numbers are not important. the important part
is the qlc bit)
5) Type this: echo 1 > /sys/devices/pci0001:00/0001:00:04.0/loading
6) Type cat /lib/firmware/ql2200_fw.bin
> /sys/devices/pci0001:00/0001:00:04.0/data (this is one line)
7) Type echo 0 > /sys/devices/pci0001:00/0001:00:04.0/loading

for 5), 6) and 7) you'll get error message file not found. It doesn't matter.
The point is to cache these three command into the shell history so you can
recall them quickly when you need them. Remember, you have a window of a few
seconds and regardless how fast you type you won't make it without using
cached commands.

8) Unload qla2xxx (rmmod qla2xxx)
9) Now load the kernel module again (modprobe qla2xxx). The clock starts
ticking now. The module tells the kernel that it needs a firmware before the
hardware can be initialized. The module creates a device path in /sys and
creates two files, loading and data.
10) Quickly recall from history the command from 5) and press enter
11) Quickly recall from history the command from 6) and press enter
12) Quickly recall from history the command from 7) and press enter

You'll see messages that the card was initialized. Now you can load sd_mod.
If you had to resort to this, then chances are you don't have udev running so
you may have to manually create the device nodes in /dev. For your
convenience:

brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 0 2008-02-21 15:03 /dev/sda
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 1 2008-02-21 15:03 /dev/sda1
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 2 2008-02-21 15:03 /dev/sda2
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 3 2008-02-21 15:03 /dev/sda3
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 4 2008-02-21 15:03 /dev/sda4
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 5 2008-02-21 15:03 /dev/sda5
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 16 2008-02-21 15:03 /dev/sdb
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 17 2008-02-21 15:03 /dev/sdb1
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 18 2008-02-21 15:03 /dev/sdb2
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 19 2008-02-21 15:03 /dev/sdb3
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 20 2008-02-21 15:03 /dev/sdb4

Once you have all the device nodes in /dev you can go back to the installer
and resume. Make sure you install udev and make sure you copy the binary
firmware into /lib/firmware.

If you're not fast enough the two files loading and data will disappear. If
this happens, don't worry, just unload qla2xxx and load it again, and this
time make sure you're faster :-)

I've done this in the past and I can guarantee that it works.

2.6.17 was the last kernel where the fimrware was built into the module and
you didn't have to load it separately. If you can live with that old kernel,
you can downgrade.

IvanK.

Re: QLA2xxx [ In reply to ]
All,

Thanks for the tips. I'm not sure how it'll all work out right now.
They might provide a method for booting the system via the CD, but then
the only viable option after that seems to be using the specified patch
in kernel builds so that we can boot and gain access to the hard drive.

The system only has one hard drive, which is attached via the QLA2xxx
controller - so I don't see how relying on udev to load the firmware
would solve the problem of accessing the only hard drive in the
system...

It does occur to me that there might be another slight solution to the
problem, from which udev could then be relied on - using an initrd
image, or booting using another device from which udev could be
utilized.

I'd rather not have to leave a floppy (yes the system has a floppy) or
CD in the drive all the time, from which it would load an initrd image
containing udev, the firmware, and whatever else would be needed; but
it seems the only other method would be to use a USB Storage device.

Does anyone know if the OpenBoot PROM on the SunBlade 2000 will boot a
USB device? The Service manual seems to indicate it would for a 100 or
250 Iomega Zip Drive (can you even get those anymore?!!) but that too
is not an ideal solution. I'd rather be able to get a USB Stick (2
GB?), or even a USB Hard Drive (e.g. WD Passport or the likes) that
could hold the base system and boot from that. Anyone know if that
would work?

Might one need to upgrade the OpenBoot PROM to to so? If so, how and
where do I get the new image?

My only other alternative is to go and get OpenSolaris and try that
out. (Hopefully it won't have the same issue.)

Any how...thanks for all the helpful tips & everything.

Ben

Re: QLA2xxx [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 28 February 2008 16:39, BRM wrote:
> All,
>
> Thanks for the tips. I'm not sure how it'll all work out right now.
> They might provide a method for booting the system via the CD, but then
> the only viable option after that seems to be using the specified patch
> in kernel builds so that we can boot and gain access to the hard drive.
>
> The system only has one hard drive, which is attached via the QLA2xxx
> controller - so I don't see how relying on udev to load the firmware
> would solve the problem of accessing the only hard drive in the
> system...

Ben,

if nobody explicitly mentioned it, it's because we all either forgot, or took
it as common knowlegde -- you do need an initramfs in order to bootstrap the
init process on QLA2xxx machines.

OBP knows how to load silo, silo knows how to load the kernel. Things break
when the kernel tries to find the root device and that's where you need an
initramfs. You can roll your own. All it needs is the firmware
in /lib/firmware/, udev, qla2xxx.ko, scsi.ko, sd_mod.ko, ext3.ko, and any
other modules you may need, and udev. You also need /etc/udev with
appropriate rules, /lib/udev and all the udev helpers, especially
firmware.sh. Your /init script needs to mount /proc, /sys, /dev, start udev
and load qla2xxx.ko. udev will take care of firmware loading. After that
just switch_root.

IvanK.

Re: QLA2xxx [ In reply to ]
Thanks. Quick additional Q though -

where's the best place to store the initrd? USB? Floppy? CD?

As I said earlier, I have my preference, but any tips would certainly
be welcome.

Thanks!

Re: QLA2xxx [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 28 February 2008, BRM wrote:
> Thanks. Quick additional Q though -
>
> where's the best place to store the initrd? USB? Floppy? CD?

the most logical place -- /boot, right next to the kernel image.

IvanK.

Re: QLA2xxx [ In reply to ]
--- Ivan Kabaivanov <chepati@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 28 February 2008, BRM wrote:
> > Thanks. Quick additional Q though -
> > where's the best place to store the initrd? USB? Floppy? CD?
> the most logical place -- /boot, right next to the kernel image.

Obviously - but on what storage medium?

If the kernel can't access the hard drive connected to the QLA2xxx
controller, then I can't mount /boot if it is on the hard drive. Sure,
the OpenBoot PROM might be able to load SILO from the hard drive, but
then can SILO load the kernel from the hard drive (probably)? So, it
comes back to my question - can the system boot from a USB device?

Otherwise, I have to either do a network boot (not sure how initrd
retrieval works there; but I don't really have the resources to do that
any way), or use the floppy or CD; or go to OpenSolaris.

TIA,

Ben
Re: QLA2xxx [ In reply to ]
BRM wrote:
> --- Ivan Kabaivanov <chepati@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> On Thursday 28 February 2008, BRM wrote:
>>> Thanks. Quick additional Q though -
>>> where's the best place to store the initrd? USB? Floppy? CD?
>> the most logical place -- /boot, right next to the kernel image.
>
> Obviously - but on what storage medium?
>
> If the kernel can't access the hard drive connected to the QLA2xxx
> controller, then I can't mount /boot if it is on the hard drive. Sure,
> the OpenBoot PROM might be able to load SILO from the hard drive, but
> then can SILO load the kernel from the hard drive (probably)? So, it
> comes back to my question - can the system boot from a USB device?
>
> Otherwise, I have to either do a network boot (not sure how initrd
> retrieval works there; but I don't really have the resources to do that
> any way), or use the floppy or CD; or go to OpenSolaris.

Are you being purposely dense? It's already been stated (probably more than
once) that SILO is capable of loading the kernel *and* initramfs from the disk
via OBP. You don't need to stick the initramfs on any other medium.

As for booting from USB, I'm not sure. I don't have any systems with USB, so I
can't test it myself. However, my guess would be no.

Gentoo Linux Developer Catalyst/Installer + x86 release coordinator
Re: QLA2xxx [ In reply to ]
Thanks for clearing that up. I have never really played with initrd
images - never needed to before - so I was unaware they were loaded by
the boot loader (e.g. SILO) - I figured the path was provided to the
kernel, which then loaded it from disk. My mistake. Thanks for the
correction. Looks like a good solution.

Thanks all for the help.

Ben

Re: QLA2xxx [ In reply to ]
I started trying to work on the system; however, we ran into a few
problems with it. I haven't been able to get the 2007.0 CD working
because of the aforementioned issue - it also doesn't list an obppath,
following the instructions previously provided is impossible. :-<

I have located the device:

/sys/devices/pci0000\:00/0000\:00\:04.0

uDev is on the 2007.0 CD, and loads the module, but has problems.
Here's the dmesg output from the 2007.0 CD using the 2.6.20 kernel:

http://tinyurl.com/2l2zw4

I also managed to find the CD I used on another system - a 2006.1 CD.
It boots and detects the QLA controller just fine - but uses the older
method where the firmware is built into the kernel. However, it is
unable to spin up the hard drive for some reason - it does detect it.
Here's the dmesg output from the 2006.1 CD using the 2.6.17 kernel:

http://tinyurl.com/3ck8t7

Any tips? Is the hard drive bad? I'm not sure where to go from here,
and I need to get this at least with the basic OS on it before the
29th.

TIA,

Ben
RE: QLA2xxx [ In reply to ]
To install the 2007.0 cd you have two kernels. You selected 2.6.20 when in fact you should do [TAB] and select the 2.6.17

Pablo

RE: QLA2xxx [ In reply to ]
The 2.6.17 kernel hangs right after it attempts to switch video modes -
it just sits there with the following:

Console: switching to mono PROM 80x34
Real Time Clock Driver v1.12ac
atyfb: 3D RAGE XL (Mach64 GR, PCI-33) [0x4752 rev 0x27]
atyfb: 8M SGRAM (1:1), 29.498928 MHz XTAL, 230 MHz PPL, 83 Mhz MCLK, 63
MHz XCLK

I thought I had boot the 2617 kernel before on this system from the
same CD - I've tried both universal and minimal install CD with the
same results.

Not sure why. Otherwise, I would have provided the dmesg output from it
too.

Ben

RE: QLA2xxx [ In reply to ]
Having booted the 2.6.17 the problem of the qla2xxx is workarounded.

The problem now is the framebuffer mode of your ragexl video card. Another
workaround here is to remove the card and leave just the UPA one. The UPA
supports correctly the framebuffer.

pablo

Re: QLA2xxx [ In reply to ]
So while all the other kernels can't do a thing about the QLA controller, this one can - but, unlike all the other kernels, it can't handle the framebuffer for the only video card in the system correctly?!!!

Not sure what the "UPA" one is - I'm guessing its the framebuffer used when only a serial console is being used. I only have the one video card in the system, and everything else seems to work fine with it - except that one kernel. Perhaps this could be solves with a set of command-line options to the kernel? (What, I'm not sure off hand..)

Any how...I tried the latest OpenSolaris/Solaris 10 release (Sol 10 8/07) and it couldn't spin up the hard drive either - so I'm leaning to either the hard drive is bad (most likely) or perhaps my setup for installation might be under powering the system, thus not leaving enough power for the hard drive to spin up - not sold on this, but the thought crossed my mind...(is this possible?!! Setup is Socket->UPS, which supports two computers, two monitors [one off], cable modem, and wireless router). Possible my other systems are drawing from the same breaker line...)

Well...as I said before - not sure where to go from here....looks like I might have to lug the system somewhere else to test out my one theory. Any other ideas or confirmation of my ideas above would be great.