MSB relocatable, SPARC V9, version 1 (SYSV), not stripped

/bin/ls: ELF 32-bit MSB executable, SPARC32PLUS, V8+ Required, version 1
(SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.6.9, dynamically linked (uses shared libs),
stripped

My CHOST is "sparc-unknown-linux-gnu", but apparently I'm not meant to
change this to sparc64-unknown-linux-gnu?

Thanks very much,
Frank.

Re: 32 bit or 64 bit ELF on UltraSparc IIi? [ In reply to ]
Re: 32 bit or 64 bit ELF on UltraSparc IIi? [ In reply to ]
> My CHOST is "sparc-unknown-linux-gnu", but apparently I'm not meant to
> change this to sparc64-unknown-linux-gnu?

This is correct. While there is a sparc64-unknown-linux-gnu setup
floating around, it is strictly for compiling the kernel. Also, there
are some ebuilds (like glibc) that may depend on
sparc-unknown-linux-gnu existing or they will fail.

As for why userland is 32 bits, take a look at the whole thread on
this topic from the sparclinux mailing list archives[1]. While it is
a bit dated, I believe the information is still relevant.

[1] - http://marc.info/?l=linux-sparc&m=99706001104013&w=2

Jason Wever