Mailing List Archive

Re: [Repost] Ultra2 SMP freezes with heavy disk I/O
On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 10:53 +0100, bertrand wrote:
> Ferris McCormick a écrit :

--- snip ---

> >> JKB
> >
> > This is a problem with U2+kernel-2.6.x generally. Unfortunately, I
> > have no suggestions nor do I have a solution. I just grit my teeth and
> > stay with the kernel-2.4.x series, which are completely stable on U2,
> > so far as I can tell.
>
> What is your U2 configuration ? I have only one U2 and I cannot test on
> this station because it's a mail server :-( In fact, I think it should
> be interesting to know if this trouble come from SMP, ESP or Sbus
> support. It is impossible to build a kernel with debug information (it
> does not boot due to a address not aligned...), but I have tested the
> same kernel on a U1E (with the same ESP chip and two additional
> HappyMeal Ethernet cards on Sbus slots). It perfectly works. Can you try
> a 2.6 on U2 without SMP support ?
>
> Regards,
>
> JKB

I have 2 U2's; U2(2x300), U2(2x400). The SMP doesn't matter, though; U2
with 2.6.x will freeze eventually even if a uniprocessor. SMP just lets
it fail more quickly. Problem is believed to be SCSI or Sbus, I think,
but I don't know that anyone is sure. The kernel people have known
about this for well over a year, but no fix.

For more current information, you might ask squash@gentoo.org or
weeve@gentoo.org --- I haven't tried 2.6 on U2 for a while because no
one has claimed to have a fix for this problem. (Gentoo spent a lot of
time on this freeze a few months ago, but no satisfaction. I am sure,
though, that we ruled out SMP as the problem.)

> -

Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@gentoo.org>
Developer, Gentoo Linux (Devrel, Sparc)
Re: [Repost] Ultra2 SMP freezes with heavy disk I/O [ In reply to ]
Chini, Georg wrote:

> Ferris McCormick wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 10:53 +0100, bertrand wrote:
>>

>>> Ferris McCormick a écrit :

>> --- snip ---

>>> What is your U2 configuration ? I have only one U2 and I cannot
>>> test on this station because it's a mail server :-( In fact, I think
>>> it should be interesting to know if this trouble come from SMP, ESP
>>> or Sbus support. It is impossible to build a kernel with debug
>>> information (it does not boot due to a address not aligned...), but I
>>> have tested the same kernel on a U1E (with the same ESP chip and two
>>> additional HappyMeal Ethernet cards on Sbus slots). It perfectly
>>> works. Can you try a 2.6 on U2 without SMP support ?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> JKB
>>>

>> I have 2 U2's; U2(2x300), U2(2x400). The SMP doesn't matter, though; U2
>> with 2.6.x will freeze eventually even if a uniprocessor. SMP just lets
>> it fail more quickly. Problem is believed to be SCSI or Sbus, I think,
>> but I don't know that anyone is sure. The kernel people have known
>> about this for well over a year, but no fix.
>>
>> For more current information, you might ask squash@gentoo.org or
>> weeve@gentoo.org --- I haven't tried 2.6 on U2 for a while because no
>> one has claimed to have a fix for this problem. (Gentoo spent a lot of
>> time on this freeze a few months ago, but no satisfaction. I am sure,
>> though, that we ruled out SMP as the problem.)
>>

>>> -
>>>
>> Regards,
>>

> Hi,
>
> I'm running 2.6.20-rc5 on my ultra2 (2x300) for a few weeks now and have
> not
> observed any freezes at all. I attach my config, maybe you can find some
> hint
> what causes the problem.
>
> Regards

That doesn't really mean much. My U2 ran for 45 days on 2.6.12 before locking up
solid. It was killed by a nightly rsync of the Gentoo portage tree. It had done
the same sync 44 times previously, but that time took it out. With 2.6.17, it
hard locked the first time I synced the tree on a new install, but that was a
full sync instead of just a small subset like with 2.6.12.

Gentoo Linux Developer Installer Project
Re: [Repost] Ultra2 SMP freezes with heavy disk I/O [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 13:26 +0100, bertrand wrote:
> Ferris McCormick a écrit :
> > On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 10:53 +0100, bertrand wrote:
> >> Ferris McCormick a écrit :
> >>>

> I have seen your post on gentoo-sparc mailing list. I have made some
> search to find more posts wihtout any success. I'm not sure this trouble
> was known, I haven't seen any post on kernel mailing list.

Might be private between squash@gentoo.org and davem. I don't really
remember. I do know that at one point davem gave us some test kernels
to work with, but they did not fox U2 problem.

> I have seen you have tried to build a 2.6 kernel with gcc-3.3 and 3.4.
> I have tried 4.0 and 4.1 with the same result.

Compiler version does not seem to matter. It does fail for me with 3.3
and 4.x --- I don't recall about 3.4, but I am sure it fails there, too.

Re: [Repost] Ultra2 SMP freezes with heavy disk I/O [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 13:21 +0100, Chini, Georg wrote:

> Ferris McCormick wrote:
>

> Hi,
>
> I'm running 2.6.20-rc5 on my ultra2 (2x300) for a few weeks now and have not
> observed any freezes at all. I attach my config, maybe you can find some
> hint
> what causes the problem.
>
> Regards
> Georg

Thanks. I'll compare with mine and see if there is anything obvious.

Re: [Repost] Ultra2 SMP freezes with heavy disk I/O [ In reply to ]
From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@gentoo.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 11:38:48 +0000

> The kernel people have known about this for well over a year, but no
> fix.

You use the word "people", the plural form, as if there is someone
doing sparc64 kernel maintainence other than me. That would certainly
be news to me.

This means you have to understand there is _ONE_ person doing all of
sparc64 kernel maintainence, and therefore one person who has to look
at and fix all the bugs, do all the new features, do ports and cleanups
when generic kernel changes occur, etc.

Therefore it should be no surprise that some things slip through the
cracks and are beyond my capacity at times.
Re: [Repost] Ultra2 SMP freezes with heavy disk I/O [ In reply to ]
From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@gentoo.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 14:26:29 +0000

> Might be private between squash@gentoo.org and davem. I don't really
> remember. I do know that at one point davem gave us some test kernels
> to work with, but they did not fox U2 problem.

You remember incorrectly, that was a fix for Symbios scsi hangs on PCI
based systems, and that bug is definitely fixed now.