Mailing List Archive

USB keyboard and mouse doesn't work?
Hello. My Gentoo Linux runs on UltraSparc U5 can detect and recognise
USB Mouse, and can create correct /dev/input/event0 device. Everything
look fine except that the keyboard doesn't work. Press any key no
response, press Number Lock would not turn on the number lock LED.

I have to use USB Keyboard because the original Sun keyboard is broken
and it's hard to find a replacement in China. USB Keyboard is plugged on
PCI USB card.

What I have tried to solve this:
I. disable CONFIG_PROM_CONSOLE and enable all ATI framebuffer
drivers (My Card is ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage Pro 215GP) =>
same result;
II. Replace USB Keyboard with different brand and different model =>
same result;

sappho linux # uname -a
Linux sappho.realss.com 2.4.32-sparc-r2 #3 Sat Sep 16 09:16:01 HKT 2006
sparc64 sun4u TI UltraSparc IIi (Sabre) GNU/Linux

Has anyone get their USB Keyboard working?
--
锐业软服(国内业务) http://www.realss.cn
Real SoftService http://www.realss.com
Re: USB keyboard and mouse doesn't work? [ In reply to ]
Using a 2.4 series kernel, it is not possible to use a USB keyboard on
serial-keyboard sparc as the system keyboard. Everything will seem to work
(dmesg, event* nodes) but it just won't take the place of the system
keyboard.

The easiest solution is to use a 2.6 series kernel.

Re: USB keyboard and mouse doesn't work? [ In reply to ]
Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@realss.com> wrote:

> Do people on this list use 2.6 kernel? I currently have two problems
> related to kernel that made me wish to try 2.6
>
> I. the RAID bus controller "VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6421 IDE
> RAID Controller" do not work even if all IDE controller drivers are
> compiled as module on 2.4.32-sparc-r2 sparc-sources kernel. I
> hope by installing new kernel there will be better driver
> support and thus is looking forward to install new kernel

Wild guess: Do you want to boot from the disk connected to that
controller? In this case you had to compile the driver not as a module
but as a compiled-in-driver (because without the driver the kernel
cannot access the module on the raid).

Greetings
Fabian
Re: USB keyboard and mouse doesn't work? [ In reply to ]
在 2006-12-11一的 19:18 -0600,Chance Platt写道:

> Using a 2.4 series kernel, it is not possible to use a USB keyboard on
> serial-keyboard sparc as the system keyboard. Everything will seem to
> work (dmesg, event* nodes) but it just won't take the place of the
> system keyboard.
>
> The easiest solution is to use a 2.6 series kernel.

Then, again it seems all 2.6 serial kernel are marked by package.mask

- sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-2.6.19 (masked by: package.mask)
# Gustavo Zacarias <gustavoz@gentoo.org>
# We mask core 2.6 stuff to avoid bootstrap issues

Do people on this list use 2.6 kernel? I currently have two problems
related to kernel that made me wish to try 2.6

I. the RAID bus controller "VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6421 IDE RAID
Controller" do not work even if all IDE controller drivers are
compiled as module on 2.4.32-sparc-r2 sparc-sources kernel. I
hope by installing new kernel there will be better driver
support and thus is looking forward to install new kernel
II. the keyboard sucks

Re: USB keyboard and mouse doesn't work? [ In reply to ]
RE: USB keyboard and mouse doesn't work? [ In reply to ]
Zhang Weiwu writes:

>> The easiest solution is to use a 2.6 series kernel.
>
> Then, again it seems all 2.6 serial kernel are marked by package.mask
>
> Do people on this list use 2.6 kernel? I currently have two
> problems related to kernel that made me wish to try 2.6

Yup. I've been running a 2.6 kernel since... Oh, whenever it came out.

Currently running 2.6.18-r3 gentoo-sources, and it's fast and stable.

Of course, I'm only running on an Ultra-2, so no usb or pci to deal with.
Re: USB keyboard and mouse doesn't work? [ In reply to ]
在 2006-12-12二的 08:43 -0700,Jason Wever写道:

> On Tue, 12 Dec 2006, Zhang Weiwu wrote:
>
> > Then, again it seems all 2.6 serial kernel are marked by package.mask
> >
> > - sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-2.6.19 (masked by: package.mask)
> > # Gustavo Zacarias <gustavoz@gentoo.org>
> > # We mask core 2.6 stuff to avoid bootstrap issues
> >
> > Do people on this list use 2.6 kernel?
>
> Yes. My first guess is that /etc/make.profile on your system is pointing
> to a kernel 2.4 profile (i.e.
> /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/sparc/sparc64/2006.0/2.4) If this is
> the case, change it to point to something like
> /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/sparc/sparc64/2006.0 or
> /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/sparc/sparc64/2006.1
>
> For 2.6 kernels, gentoo-sources is the suggested package as it will
> contain fixes that vanilla-sources won't.
>
> > I currently have two problems related to kernel that made me wish to try
> > 2.6
> >
> > I. the RAID bus controller "VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6421 IDE RAID
> > Controller" do not work even if all IDE controller drivers are
> > compiled as module on 2.4.32-sparc-r2 sparc-sources kernel. I
> > hope by installing new kernel there will be better driver
> > support and thus is looking forward to install new kernel
>
> 2.6 has been better at handling non-Sun PCI devices than 2.4 was. I'd
> suggest trying 2.6 to see if this resolves the issue.

You are 100% correct. The 2.6 kernel do have a driver for my case.

> > II. the keyboard sucks
>
> What type of system are you using here? Blade 100, 150, 1000 or 2000
> should work fine with USB input (since its the only input system on those
> models). Make sure you have USB HID support enabled in the USB driver
> section. Also, if you are using a USB keyboard in either 2.4 or 2.6, make
> sure /etc/conf.d/keymaps uses an x86 style keymap (i.e. us) rather than
> the default sunkeymap or another Sun keyboard specific keymap.
>
> Cheers,

yes I do have set up 2.6 system running (so far, most things works, only
small features failed and I am still fixing them, not have to because of
2.6 kernel but probably my misconfiguration of 2.6 kernel)

When keys gets messed up, I removed keymap from boot run-level, and both
keyboards begin to work fine. I don't know if this has a lot of
difference then re-configuring keymap in /etc/conf.d/keymap

Re: USB keyboard and mouse doesn't work? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, December 14, 2006 02:20, å¼ éŸ¡æ­¦ wrote:
> 在 2006-12-12二的 08:43 -0700,Jason Wever写道:
>>
>> On Tue, 12 Dec 2006, Zhang Weiwu wrote:
>>
>> > Then, again it seems all 2.6 serial kernel are marked by package.mask
>> >
>> > - sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-2.6.19 (masked by: package.mask)
>> > # Gustavo Zacarias <gustavoz@gentoo.org>
>> > # We mask core 2.6 stuff to avoid bootstrap issues
>> >
>> > Do people on this list use 2.6 kernel?
>>
>> Yes. My first guess is that /etc/make.profile on your system is
>> pointing
>> to a kernel 2.4 profile (i.e.
>> /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/sparc/sparc64/2006.0/2.4) If this
>> is
>> the case, change it to point to something like
>> /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/sparc/sparc64/2006.0 or
>> /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/sparc/sparc64/2006.1
>>
>> For 2.6 kernels, gentoo-sources is the suggested package as it will
>> contain fixes that vanilla-sources won't.
>>
>> > I currently have two problems related to kernel that made me wish to
>> try
>> > 2.6
>> >
>> > I. the RAID bus controller "VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6421 IDE RAID
>> > Controller" do not work even if all IDE controller drivers are
>> > compiled as module on 2.4.32-sparc-r2 sparc-sources kernel. I
>> > hope by installing new kernel there will be better driver
>> > support and thus is looking forward to install new kernel
>>
>> 2.6 has been better at handling non-Sun PCI devices than 2.4 was. I'd
>> suggest trying 2.6 to see if this resolves the issue.
>
> You are 100% correct. The 2.6 kernel do have a driver for my case.
>

>> > II. the keyboard sucks
>>
>> What type of system are you using here? Blade 100, 150, 1000 or 2000
>> should work fine with USB input (since its the only input system on
>> those
>> models). Make sure you have USB HID support enabled in the USB driver
>> section. Also, if you are using a USB keyboard in either 2.4 or 2.6,
>> make
>> sure /etc/conf.d/keymaps uses an x86 style keymap (i.e. us) rather than
>> the default sunkeymap or another Sun keyboard specific keymap.
>>
>> Cheers,
>
> yes I do have set up 2.6 system running (so far, most things works, only
> small features failed and I am still fixing them, not have to because of
> 2.6 kernel but probably my misconfiguration of 2.6 kernel)
>
> When keys gets messed up, I removed keymap from boot run-level, and both
> keyboards begin to work fine. I don't know if this has a lot of
> difference then re-configuring keymap in /etc/conf.d/keymap

Hi,

I believe that in 2.6-kernels, on SPARC, you could/should use the keymaps
found in /usr/share/keymaps/i386 prior to using those in
/usr/share/keymaps/sun, but please correct me if I'm wrong :)

/Charlie

Re: USB keyboard and mouse doesn't work? [ In reply to ]