exsist on the install cd. how do you go about using it with sparc if
it can be done?

Nick

Re: LVM on sparc? [ In reply to ]
I ran into that problem myself this weekend.
dm-mod is a kernel 2.6.x thing and does not exist in the 2.4.x kernels.

Hower, there is another way. Check the link below.
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Gentoo_Install_on_Software_RAID

Regards,

Tom

Re: LVM on sparc? [ In reply to ]
Re: LVM on sparc? [ In reply to ]
Oh nice! I will try that one my self instead of the 2.4 approach.

Tom

Re: LVM on sparc? [ In reply to ]
On 2/20/06, freshy98 <freshy98@gmx.net> wrote:
> I ran into that problem myself this weekend.
> dm-mod is a kernel 2.6.x thing and does not exist in the 2.4.x kernels.
>
> Hower, there is another way. Check the link below.
> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Gentoo_Install_on_Software_RAID
>
> Regards,
>
> Tom
>

> Nick Smith wrote:
>
> >can you do LVM on sparc? the dm-mod module for it doesnt seem to
> >exsist on the install cd. how do you go about using it with sparc if
> >it can be done?
> >
> >Nick

yeah saw and done that before, was hoping to give LVM a try, but i guess not.

thanks for the info.

--
Linux, because I'd rather own a free OS than steal one that's not
worth paying for.

Re: LVM on sparc? [ In reply to ]
On 2/20/06, Nick Smith <nick.smith79@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/20/06, freshy98 <freshy98@gmx.net> wrote:
> > I ran into that problem myself this weekend.
> > dm-mod is a kernel 2.6.x thing and does not exist in the 2.4.x kernels.
> >
> > Hower, there is another way. Check the link below.
> > http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Gentoo_Install_on_Software_RAID
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Tom

how would you suggest partitioning the disks? do you personally raid
the boot partition? i know how i would do it, but i dont know if that
is the right way to do it.

Re: LVM on sparc? [ In reply to ]
is there any down side to the 2.4 approach? does it do the same stuff?

Re: LVM on sparc? [ In reply to ]
Nick Smith wrote:

>On 2/20/06, Nick Smith <nick.smith79@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>On 2/20/06, freshy98 <freshy98@gmx.net> wrote:
>>

>>>I ran into that problem myself this weekend.
>>>dm-mod is a kernel 2.6.x thing and does not exist in the 2.4.x kernels.
>>>
>>>Hower, there is another way. Check the link below.
>>>http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Gentoo_Install_on_Software_RAID
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>>
>>>Tom
>>>

>how would you suggest partitioning the disks? do you personally raid
>the boot partition? i know how i would do it, but i dont know if that
>is the right way to do it.

Well, I simply followed the guide. No idea yet if it will work.
Ran into some slight problems so have to start over.

Tom

Re: LVM on sparc? [ In reply to ]

> Well, I simply followed the guide. No idea yet if it will work.
> Ran into some slight problems so have to start over.
>
> Tom

what about performance? how does LVM compair to a raid5?

RE: LVM on sparc? [ In reply to ]
Just FYI, this experimental boots on my e450, but only after disabling the 4th Gb of memory as suggested by Pengi in the forums:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-3125170.html?sid=6e8cc73dcfa9b304d78f485c074d00ab#3125170

Presumably that's the silo issue. Now to see if I can fix my root volume... :)

Thanks!

Ralph Mitchell