Mailing List Archive

xorg device problems
Alright, I've posted this in the forum without response and I can't
seem to google anything useful. I have an U60 w/ two Creator3D cards;
I had these cards setup running xinerama just great about a year ago
when I had gentoo on this box the first time. However, now that I've
since reinstalled, xorg can't seem to differentiate the two cards. I'm
using the exact same configuration that worked a year ago. The
relevant part of my xorg.conf is:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "sunffb"
BusID "SBUS:fb0"
VendorName "Sun Microsystems"
BoardName "Sun|FFB2+ Vertical Creator 3d (ffb)"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Card1"
Driver "sunffb"
BusID "SBUS:fb1"
VendorName "Sun Microsystems"
BoardName "Sun|FFB2+ Vertical Creator 3d (ffb)"
EndSection

This section of configuration generates the following errors in my log:

(II) SUNFFB: driver for Creator, Creator 3D and Elite 3D
(WW) SUNFFB: More than one matching Device section for instance
(BusID: Card0) found: SBUS:fb0
(WW) SUNFFB: No matching Device section for instance (BusID
SBUS:/SUNW,ffb@1d,0) found

A full listing of both of the latter files can be seen at
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-379687.html . Thanks in advance
to anyone who can shed any light onto what's going on here.

- jbw

Re: xorg device problems [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 11:40 -0500, Jason Williams wrote:
> Alright, I've posted this in the forum without response and I can't
> seem to google anything useful. I have an U60 w/ two Creator3D cards;
> I had these cards setup running xinerama just great about a year ago
> when I had gentoo on this box the first time. However, now that I've
> since reinstalled, xorg can't seem to differentiate the two cards. I'm
> using the exact same configuration that worked a year ago. The
> relevant part of my xorg.conf is:
>
> Section "Device"
> Identifier "Card0"
> Driver "sunffb"
> BusID "SBUS:fb0"
> VendorName "Sun Microsystems"
> BoardName "Sun|FFB2+ Vertical Creator 3d (ffb)"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
> Identifier "Card1"
> Driver "sunffb"
> BusID "SBUS:fb1"
> VendorName "Sun Microsystems"
> BoardName "Sun|FFB2+ Vertical Creator 3d (ffb)"
> EndSection
>
> This section of configuration generates the following errors in my log:
>
> (II) SUNFFB: driver for Creator, Creator 3D and Elite 3D
> (WW) SUNFFB: More than one matching Device section for instance
> (BusID: Card0) found: SBUS:fb0
> (WW) SUNFFB: No matching Device section for instance (BusID
> SBUS:/SUNW,ffb@1d,0) found

This is more of a question than an answer. (1) Have you changed
kernels? (2) Have you tried making your BusID conform to what xorg's
log reports finding? It sees them both, but doesn't like how you are
identifying them.

Two simple experiments: (1) Comment out the BusID lines and see what
xorg says; use SBUS:fb0 for both busid lines, since xorg is seeing two
devices at fb0.

I realize this is not much of a response, but it might give you a couple
ideas until someone who knows more than I do answers, too.

--
Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@gentoo.org>
Developer, Gentoo Linux (Sparc, Devrel)
Re: xorg device problems [ In reply to ]
Thank you for taking interst and sorry for not responding sooner. I've
been really busy lately, so getting xinerama working dropped in
priority a bit.

The answer to the kernel issue is not really. Last year I was using
the development-sources kernel (at the time 2.6.6). Since then,
development-sources died, so I got someone to send me a 2.6.6 kernel
tree tarball from that time period. I've since compiled that and been
using it. It works alright except that it will only last a few weeks
at a time before locking up (I'm assuming there's a memory leak
somewhere); I didn't have that problem last year but oh well; it
doesn't hae anything to do with this.

as far as the interesting tests, I did all of those already, but I'll
try again to reveal the log output.
commenting out the SBUS lines gives:

(EE) Screen Screen1 doesn't exist: deleting placement
Using vt 7
(WW) SUNFFB: More than one matching Device section found: Card0
(WW) SUNFFB: More than one matching Device section found: Card0

giving both SBUS lines fb0 gives:

(EE) Screen Screen1 doesn't exist: deleting placement
Using vt 7
(WW) SUNFFB: More than one matching Device section for instance
(BusID: Card0) found: SBUS:fb0
(WW) SUNFFB: No matching Device section for instance (BusID
SBUS:/SUNW,ffb@1d,0) found

So yeah, neither worked. However, udev is seeing both of these devices
as it's generating them in /dev and /sys ... Therefore, I assume it
has to be something to do with xorg.

jbw