Mailing List Archive

Modular X testing on sparc
For those of you who haven't been following along or who don't care (and
the "don't care" group should stop reading now), xorg-x11 is currently
being transformed upstream from one package into many. Spyderous is in
turn converting xorg-x11....ebuild into almost 300 packages. These
packages are all masked right now, but (I think) they are all keyworded
~sparc (except for some drivers that sparc cannot make any use of).

I have started testing the process and the new modular X itself. I am
working in a complete cloned chroot enviromnent on SB1000(2x900), with
the exception that /usr/portage/[distfiles,packages] directories are
common to the two environments. The chroot clone was initialized with
'emerge -C xorg-x11'.

The purpose of this note is to provide a bit of status and to generate a
thread for sparc-specific comment. Since spyderous's new ebuilds are
quite robust (I assume he has given up on incidentals like sleep for the
moment), the problems so far seem to originate at freedesktop itself,
and are related to the fact that freedesktop people are not really
equiped to test xorg on sparc/linux systems. Thus, bug reports are not
on bugs.gentoo.org; rather, they are at https://bugs.freedesktop.org
Current show stoppers are bugs 4128 (fixed upstream) and, more
seriously, 4133. Both prevent successful building of xorg-server.

Any sparc person who has an account at bugs.freedesktop and would like
copied on such bugs, please let me know how you are known at b.f.o, and
I'll try to CC you on them.

Notes:
1. If you wish to join the fun, please start with Donnie's howto
documents at http://dev.gentoo.org/~spyderous/xorg-x11/ There is a
reasonably current (i.e., somewhat outdated) list of Modular X modules
relevant to sparc at http://dev.gentoo.org/~fmccor/files/X-modular (some
packages have moved, and such like.)

2. Although there are lots of packages to build, most of them build
in parallel (using your MAKEOPTS value), so the build is not as bad as
it might be. (Exception is mesa. For me, it builds fine in parallel,
but on other architectures it has problems. Experiment at your own risk
and provide feedback if you like.)

Updates provided as they happen and when I remember to provide them.
--
Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@gentoo.org>
Developer, Gentoo Linux (Sparc, Devrel)
Modular X testing on sparc [ In reply to ]
With x11-base/xorg-server-0.99.1-r5, the missing sparc-specific source
files are no longer missing, and one build cycle runs successfully.

However, suppose that you want to build it more than once, and suppose
you are using the 'eselect opengl ...' version of opengl-update:
x11-base/opengl-update-3.0.0. Then, the symbolic
links /usr/include/GL/gl.h -> /usr/lib/opengl/xorg-x11/include/gl.h etc.
(all but 2 of the 7 required) disappear, and a second build of
xorg-server fails with "cannot include GL/glxproto.h - type messages.

In other words, the header files provided by the glproto and mesa
packages are not available to xorg-server when it builds (nor to
anything else which expects them to be in /usr/include/GL...).

eselect-opengl establishes glext.h, glxext.h, but I cannot find how the
rest of the GL/... headers are supposed to get setup.

If you create the links by hand, everything seems to build fine. (But
after each build or xorg-server, if you want to rebuild for some reason,
you need to reestablish the links, because the opengl-update helpfully
removes them.)

At least, this is the case on my system, and as I mentioned previously,
everything is happening in a chroot environment where in theory, the
only X11 installed comes from X modular.
Re: Modular X testing on sparc [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2005-08-24 at 15:16 +0000, Ferris McCormick wrote:
> With x11-base/xorg-server-0.99.1-r5, the missing sparc-specific source
> files are no longer missing, and one build cycle runs successfully.
>
> However, suppose that you want to build it more than once, and suppose
> you are using the 'eselect opengl ...' version of opengl-update:
> x11-base/opengl-update-3.0.0. Then, the symbolic
> links /usr/include/GL/gl.h -> /usr/lib/opengl/xorg-x11/include/gl.h etc.
> (all but 2 of the 7 required) disappear, and a second build of
> xorg-server fails with "cannot include GL/glxproto.h - type messages.

Is this specific to the eselect module and not the 2.x series? Do you
have the eselect-opengl-1.0.1? There was a bug in 1.0.0 that looks like
what you describe, and I fixed it in 1.0.1 before removing it from
package.mask... but I did the commits about the same time, so I suppose
there could've been a concurrency issue...

> In other words, the header files provided by the glproto and mesa
> packages are not available to xorg-server when it builds (nor to
> anything else which expects them to be in /usr/include/GL...).
>
> eselect-opengl establishes glext.h, glxext.h, but I cannot find how the
> rest of the GL/... headers are supposed to get setup.

they should be located in /usr/lib/opengl/xorg-x11/include

> If you create the links by hand, everything seems to build fine. (But
> after each build or xorg-server, if you want to rebuild for some reason,
> you need to reestablish the links, because the opengl-update helpfully
> removes them.)

Please verify that you have eselect-opengl-1.0.1.
Re: Modular X testing on sparc [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2005-08-24 at 10:58 -0700, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-08-24 at 15:16 +0000, Ferris McCormick wrote:
> > With x11-base/xorg-server-0.99.1-r5, the missing sparc-specific source
> > files are no longer missing, and one build cycle runs successfully.
> >

> Is this specific to the eselect module and not the 2.x series? Do you
> have the eselect-opengl-1.0.1? There was a bug in 1.0.0 that looks like
> what you describe, and I fixed it in 1.0.1 before removing it from
> package.mask... but I did the commits about the same time, so I suppose
> there could've been a concurrency issue...
>

> Please verify that you have eselect-opengl-1.0.1.

That was it. eselect-opengl-1.0.1.ebuild made it onto my system after I
started the testing cycle in question, and I didn't notice the change.