2.6 kernel in the sparc-sources directory. Is there a trick ? Can i
use vanillia sources ?

Thanks for your help !

Re: 2.6 kernel [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 15:00 +0200, Marc-Olivier Meunier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently setting up my "brand new" ultra 60 and i can't see any
> 2.6 kernel in the sparc-sources directory. Is there a trick ? Can i
> use vanillia sources ?
>
> Thanks for your help !

You can use vanilla-sources, but depending on your particular system,
you might have unsatisfactory results. There is (are?) currently (a)
kernel bug(s) which cause kernel-2.6.xx to be unstable on U60 systems.

On a new U60 system, you are probably better off installing with
kernel-2.4.xx, and then playing with kernel-2.6.xx after you have a
satisfactorily running system. For example, I have a U60(2x300)-SMP and
a U60(2x450)-SMP. Kernel-2.6.12/13-rc3 is pretty much unusable on the
2x450; on the 2x300, the 2.6.12 kernel "locks up" about once every 2 or
3 weeks. But on both systems, every kernel 2-6.xx I have tried does
eventually fail. On the other hand, late model kernel-2.4.xx (e.g.,
2.4.29) versions seem to be completely stable on the 2x450.

Hope this helps,
Regards,
Ferris
--
Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@gentoo.org>
Developer, Gentoo Linux (Sparc, Devrel)
Re: 2.6 kernel [ In reply to ]
The 2.6.6 kernel that used to be under development-sources about a
year ago works great with an U60; I've recompiled it several times
with several configurations. I haven't gotten anything beyond that to
work though. So I ask, why did that kernel become unavailable in
portage? I understand that development-sources was converted to
vanilla-sources, but the 2.6.6 version is no longer in portage at all
even though it is the only stable 2.6 kernel for many people. Why take
away the capability while newer 2.6 kernels are being further
developed?

Jason B Williams

Re: 2.6 kernel [ In reply to ]
nevermind, after futher searching it seems that all the 2.6 kernels
are masked. what a drag....

--
Linux, because I'd rather own a free OS than steal one that's not
worth paying for.

RE: Re: 2.6 kernel [ In reply to ]
> nevermind, after futher searching it seems that all the 2.6
> kernels are masked. what a drag....
>

> On 2/24/06, Nick Smith <nick.smith79@gmail.com> wrote:
> > got no response on my other thread, so how about a simple question.
> > what would i have to do to upgrade to 2.6 from 2.4? is it a
> matter of
> > just downloading the vanilla-sources for sparc and going
> through the
> > config/compile process? would i have to do something
> special to get it
> > to work?

That doesn't mean you can't play with it, though. Just pull it down and
compile it. It's rather frustrating, but it's good practice, no? Who doesn't
like compiling kernels on a 166MHz SPARC?

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~sparc" emerge -f --oneshot gentoo-sources

should get you the latest 2.6.15-r5. Tweak command line as needed for other
versions.
Re: Re: 2.6 kernel [ In reply to ]
On 2/24/06, Longman, Bill <longman@sharplabs.com> wrote:
> > nevermind, after futher searching it seems that all the 2.6
> > kernels are masked. what a drag....
> >

> > On 2/24/06, Nick Smith <nick.smith79@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > got no response on my other thread, so how about a simple question.
> > > what would i have to do to upgrade to 2.6 from 2.4? is it a
> > matter of
> > > just downloading the vanilla-sources for sparc and going
> > through the
> > > config/compile process? would i have to do something
> > special to get it
> > > to work?
>
> That doesn't mean you can't play with it, though. Just pull it down and
> compile it. It's rather frustrating, but it's good practice, no? Who doesn't
> like compiling kernels on a 166MHz SPARC?
>
> ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~sparc" emerge -f --oneshot gentoo-sources
>
> should get you the latest 2.6.15-r5. Tweak command line as needed for other
> versions.

I'm having very good success with gentoo-sources-2.6.15-r1. I have it
running on a pair of V210s. The only problem I've had is SMP doesn't
work, which I've been told I can fix by playing with the way RAM is
installed, but I've yet to try that.

If you do decided to give it a spin, you'll need to install udev and a
curent linux-headers.

Mike

Re: Re: 2.6 kernel [ In reply to ]
Longman, Bill wrote:

> That doesn't mean you can't play with it, though. Just pull it down and
> compile it. It's rather frustrating, but it's good practice, no? Who doesn't
> like compiling kernels on a 166MHz SPARC?
>
> ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~sparc" emerge -f --oneshot gentoo-sources
>
> should get you the latest 2.6.15-r5. Tweak command line as needed for other
> versions.

Please don't use ACCEPT_KEYWORDS, it's generally bad, you've got
package.keywords (man 5 portage) as a better solution.
That said 2.6 kernels don't work fine in the stability department,
lately it seems only SBUS-based machines are the ones affected.
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/sparc/sunhw.xml is a work in progress
hardware compatibility list where you can check how things are going on
the 2.6 front.
Of course it's still incomplete and feedback is welcome.
Don't say "excellent stability on X" unless you really did extensive tests.

--
Gustavo Zacarias
Gentoo/SPARC monkey
RE: Re: 2.6 kernel [ In reply to ]
> > That doesn't mean you can't play with it, though. Just pull it down
> > and compile it. It's rather frustrating, but it's good
> practice, no?
> > Who doesn't like compiling kernels on a 166MHz SPARC?
> >
> > ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~sparc" emerge -f --oneshot gentoo-sources
> >
> > should get you the latest 2.6.15-r5. Tweak command line as
> needed for
> > other versions.
>
> Please don't use ACCEPT_KEYWORDS, it's generally bad, you've
> got package.keywords (man 5 portage) as a better solution.
> That said 2.6 kernels don't work fine in the stability
> department, lately it seems only SBUS-based machines are the
> ones affected.
> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/sparc/sunhw.xml is a work
> in progress hardware compatibility list where you can check
> how things are going on the 2.6 front.
> Of course it's still incomplete and feedback is welcome.
> Don't say "excellent stability on X" unless you really did
> extensive tests.

If you want Portage to actually manage a package, yes, I agree completely,
you should NOT use ACCEPT_KEYWORDS.

If you just want to use portage to grab the files for you (-f --oneshot),
then, heck, just throw in ACCEPT_KEYWORDS. You'll still have to manually
move things around and compile them, so where is the problem?

If he *did* put "~sparc" in his package.keywords file for gentoo-sources,
then he would be, in effect, telling portage that he specifically wants to
be able to use the ~ versions and he accepts the responsibility thereof. And
Portage will then dutifully keep him updated on all new updates to this
package.

How else would you "beta test" a package? I've been using this method for
about two years and I have found it to work well for me. If I really want to
use the package later on, I put it in the correct package.* file and make it
"official".

On a second point, thanks for the above HCL pointer. I'll add notes on my
U30 this weekend.

Bill
Re: Re: 2.6 kernel [ In reply to ]

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006, Mike Owen wrote:

> On 2/24/06, Longman, Bill <longman@sharplabs.com> wrote:
>>> nevermind, after futher searching it seems that all the 2.6
>>> kernels are masked. what a drag....

>>> matter of
>>> through the
>>> special to get it
>>
>> That doesn't mean you can't play with it, though. Just pull it down and
>> compile it. It's rather frustrating, but it's good practice, no? Who doesn't
>> like compiling kernels on a 166MHz SPARC?
>>
>> ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~sparc" emerge -f --oneshot gentoo-sources
>>
>> should get you the latest 2.6.15-r5. Tweak command line as needed for other
>> versions.
>
> I'm having very good success with gentoo-sources-2.6.15-r1. I have it
> running on a pair of V210s. The only problem I've had is SMP doesn't
> work, which I've been told I can fix by playing with the way RAM is
> installed, but I've yet to try that.
>
> If you do decided to give it a spin, you'll need to install udev and a
> curent linux-headers.
>
> Mike

2.6.15-rx runs very well for me on U60, SB1000. It is just hopless on U2,
though. NO 2.6 runs on U2 worth a damn. It is beyond me why the kernel
people don't sit down and fix it. Yes, I am getting upset about this. I
am not a kernel guy, and can't help. But 2.6 DOES NOT WORK on U1/U2.

Now, I've vented.
Regards,
Ferris
- --
Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@gentoo.org>
Developer, Gentoo Linux (Devrel, Sparc)
Re: Re: 2.6 kernel [ In reply to ]

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006, Ferris McCormick wrote:

> --[PinePGP]--------------------------------------------------[begin]--

>> > That doesn't mean you can't play with it, though. Just pull it down and
>> > compile it. It's rather frustrating, but it's good practice, no? Who
>> > doesn't
>> > like compiling kernels on a 166MHz SPARC?
>> >
>> > ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~sparc" emerge -f --oneshot gentoo-sources
>> >
>> > should get you the latest 2.6.15-r5. Tweak command line as needed for
>> > other
>> > versions.
>>
>> I'm having very good success with gentoo-sources-2.6.15-r1. I have it
>> running on a pair of V210s. The only problem I've had is SMP doesn't
>> work, which I've been told I can fix by playing with the way RAM is
>> installed, but I've yet to try that.
>>
>> If you do decided to give it a spin, you'll need to install udev and a
>> curent linux-headers.
>>
>> Mike
>>
>> --
>>

> 2.6.15-rx runs very well for me on U60, SB1000. It is just hopless on U2,
> though. NO 2.6 runs on U2 worth a damn. It is beyond me why the kernel
> people don't sit down and fix it. Yes, I am getting upset about this. I
> am not a kernel guy, and can't help. But 2.6 DOES NOT WORK on U1/U2.
>
> Now, I've vented.
> Regards,
> Ferris
Apologies. That's too strong. I'm really upset, and it shows. The sparc
kernel people are doing a tremendous job, but just can't fix U2.

Sorry,
Ferris

- --
Re: Re: 2.6 kernel [ In reply to ]

Ferris McCormick wrote:

> question.

> down and
> Who doesn't

> needed for other
> >>

> >> I'm having very good success with gentoo-sources-2.6.15-r1. I have it
> >> running on a pair of V210s. The only problem I've had is SMP doesn't
> >> work, which I've been told I can fix by playing with the way RAM is
> >> installed, but I've yet to try that.
> >>
> >> If you do decided to give it a spin, you'll need to install udev
> and a
> >> curent linux-headers.
> >>
> >> Mike
> >>
> >> --
> >>

> 2.6.15-rx runs very well for me on U60, SB1000. It is just hopless
> on U2, though. NO 2.6 runs on U2 worth a damn. It is beyond me why
> the kernel people don't sit down and fix it. Yes, I am getting
> upset about this. I am not a kernel guy, and can't help. But 2.6
> DOES NOT WORK on U1/U2.
>
> Now, I've vented.
> Regards,
> Ferris
> --
> Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@gentoo.org>
> Developer, Gentoo Linux (Devrel, Sparc)

I'm running 2.6.15-r5 on 3 different Ultra1's. Everything seems to be
going fine.

Linux cf-node001 2.6.15-gentoo-r5 #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Feb 21 19:42:49
GMT 2006 sparc64 sun4u TI UltraSparc I (SpitFire) GNU/Linux
Linux cf-node003 2.6.15-gentoo-r5 #2 SMP PREEMPT Fri Feb 17 16:43:46
UTC 2006 sparc64 sun4u TI UltraSparc I (SpitFire) GNU/Linux
Linux cf-node004 2.6.15-gentoo-r5 #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Feb 21 18:24:56
UTC 2006 sparc64 sun4u TI UltraSparc I (SpitFire) GNU/Linux

- --
gentux
echo "hfouvyAdpy/ofu" | perl -pe 's/(.)/chr(ord($1)-1)/ge'

gentux's gpg fingerprint ==> 34CE 2E97 40C7 EF6E EC40 9795 2D81 924A
6996 0993

Re: Re: 2.6 kernel [ In reply to ]

> I'm running 2.6.15-r5 on 3 different Ultra1's. Everything seems to be
> going fine.
>
> Linux cf-node001 2.6.15-gentoo-r5 #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Feb 21 19:42:49
> GMT 2006 sparc64 sun4u TI UltraSparc I (SpitFire) GNU/Linux
> Linux cf-node003 2.6.15-gentoo-r5 #2 SMP PREEMPT Fri Feb 17 16:43:46
> UTC 2006 sparc64 sun4u TI UltraSparc I (SpitFire) GNU/Linux
> Linux cf-node004 2.6.15-gentoo-r5 #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Feb 21 18:24:56
> UTC 2006 sparc64 sun4u TI UltraSparc I (SpitFire) GNU/Linux

is a U1 have more than one cpu? havent messed with those before.

Re: Re: 2.6 kernel [ In reply to ]

The U1 is a single processor machine.

Re: Re: 2.6 kernel [ In reply to ]
thats why he isnt having problems ;-)