Mailing List Archive

2.6.12-rc4, xorg, UP, X mouse problem
Slowly trying to settle my ss20 box out.

I recompiled xorg while running under 2.6.12-rc4.

I've setup a correct xorg.conf as per web suggestions.

Ditto kernel parameters (though mouse compiled in
rather than as a module, I'm recompiling the kernel
now with mouse as a module to see if that makes a
diff).

My box ran X briefly under 2.4.x SMP before
locking up, with mouse working. With 2.6.12-rc4
and running 'startx' with fluxbox manager I get the
visual fluxbox display but no mouse. Given that
I've now recompiled xorg under 2.6 my understanding
is I should not attempt to run xorg under a 2.4 kernel.

X log seems to happily pick up the mouse:
===============================
(II) LoadModule: "mouse"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/modules/input/mouse_drv.so
(II) Module mouse: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 0.4
(**) Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
(**) Mouse0: Device: "/dev/input/mice"
(**) Mouse0: Protocol: "IMPS/2"
(**) Option "CorePointer"
(**) Mouse0: Core Pointer
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
(**) Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
(==) Mouse0: Buttons: 3
(**) Mouse0: SmartScroll: 1
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse0" (type: MOUSE)
(II) Mouse0: ps2EnableDataReporting: succeeded

BTW, xdm points to gdm and that environment
rather painfully loops trying to crank up X until
it either gives up or I ssh/ser_console in and
'/etc/init.d/xdm stop' it.

BTW, my prior post re question of legal issues
to solve the HME problem is still outstanding.
(BSD lists discuss problem, BSD code handles,
can I look at BSD code to sort out Linux HME code)?
Could someone perhaps point me to another
list that discusses legal issues if the question
cannot be easily answered on this list? Thanks.