Mailing List Archive

re hme udb checksum
found numerous git trees of kernel, but not finding
the equivalent of
cvs log sunhme.c
and then diff'ing my way down through the revisions.
Clues appreciated.

I don't live and breathe UDP/networking so will take awhile
digging down through the sunhme code. Not impossible.

Googling around there's lots of BSD distro chatter re
problems with off loading checksums to the HME hardware
for UDP packets. Turns out there's a bug in the hardware
calculation. I don't know what the Linux 2.6 code is doing
yet (re off loading to hardware for udp tx or not).

BUT -- my first instinct would be to look at some BSD code
(or the patches that can be found on the web) for clues
and am realizing that there may be legal issues that I need
to be aware of.

SO --- can I legally look at BSD HME UDP checksum handling
code and then touch Linux code? Or does that cross up
license problems and IP stuff in a bad way?

Just wondering where I can go looking for clues.

Thanks,
Heitzso