Mailing List Archive

QFE card on a Netra T1
Has anyone had any luck getting a QFE card to work on a Netra T1? I've tried compiling a kernel with the Happy Meal driver, the GEM driver, and the QFE driver (and various combinations of these) and I can either make the card not recognized at all or when it is recognized it hard locks the box with no messages. I've googled about and searched the Gentoo forums and there is some references to this problem but no solutions (at least non that worked for me). This is for a 2.4 kernel.

Thanks, Philip
Re: QFE card on a Netra T1 [ In reply to ]
Re: QFE card on a Netra T1 [ In reply to ]
> Hi Phil,
>
> There are a few different QFE cards. Your best bet for identifying which one you
> have is likey to install sys-apps/pciutils and run lspci. It will likely show up
> with a pci-pci bridge, then 4 ethernet pci devices below it. You should be able
> to determine the driver you need from that information.
>
> Josh
>

> Philip Leonard wrote:
>
>>Has anyone had any luck getting a QFE card to work on a Netra T1? I've tried compiling a kernel with the Happy Meal driver, the GEM driver, and the QFE driver (and various combinations of these) and I can either make the card not recognized at all or when it is recognized it hard locks the box with no messages. I've googled about and searched the Gentoo forums and there is some references to this problem but no solutions (at least non that worked for me). This is for a 2.4 kernel.
>>
>>Thanks, Philip

Okay, here is the output of lspci:

0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: Sun Microsystems Computer Corp. Ultra IIi
0000:00:01.0 PCI bridge: Sun Microsystems Computer Corp. Simba Advanced
PCI Bridge (rev 13)
0000:00:01.1 PCI bridge: Sun Microsystems Computer Corp. Simba Advanced
PCI Bridge (rev 13)
0000:01:01.0 Bridge: Sun Microsystems Computer Corp. EBUS (rev 01)
0000:01:01.1 Ethernet controller: Sun Microsystems Computer Corp. Happy
Meal (rev 01)
0000:01:02.0 SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic 53c875
(rev 03)
0000:01:03.1 Ethernet controller: Sun Microsystems Computer Corp. Happy
Meal (rev 01)
0000:02:01.0 PCI bridge: Digital Equipment Corporation DECchip 21150
(rev 04)
0000:03:0e.0 IDE interface: Silicon Image, Inc. (formerly CMD Technology
Inc) PCI0646 (rev 03)
0000:03:0f.0 PCI bridge: Digital Equipment Corporation DECchip 21153
(rev 04)
0000:04:00.0 Bridge: Sun Microsystems Computer Corp. EBUS (rev 01)
0000:04:00.1 Ethernet controller: Sun Microsystems Computer Corp. Happy
Meal (rev 01)
0000:04:01.0 Bridge: Sun Microsystems Computer Corp. EBUS (rev 01)
0000:04:01.1 Ethernet controller: Sun Microsystems Computer Corp. Happy
Meal (rev 01)
0000:04:02.0 Bridge: Sun Microsystems Computer Corp. EBUS (rev 01)
0000:04:02.1 Ethernet controller: Sun Microsystems Computer Corp. Happy
Meal (rev 01)
0000:04:03.0 Bridge: Sun Microsystems Computer Corp. EBUS (rev 01)
0000:04:03.1 Ethernet controller: Sun Microsystems Computer Corp. Happy
Meal (rev 01)

Re: QFE card on a Netra T1 [ In reply to ]

It clearly lists the card as 4 Happy Meal (HME) devices. This should work fine
with the normal HME driver. If you get an error inserting the module, maybe that
would give more info.

Josh

Re: QFE card on a Netra T1 [ In reply to ]
> It clearly lists the card as 4 Happy Meal (HME) devices. This should work fine
> with the normal HME driver. If you get an error inserting the module, maybe that
> would give more info.
>
> Josh

When I compile in the HME driver it does find the card and all that.
Problem is when anything tries to send anything to the card it hard
locks the system with no messages.

Philip
Re: QFE card on a Netra T1 [ In reply to ]
Re: QFE card on a Netra T1 [ In reply to ]
>> When I compile in the HME driver it does find the card and all that.
>> Problem is when anything tries to send anything to the card it hard
>> locks the system with no messages.
>

> If you turn off your syslog daemon before you do this, do you see
> anything on the serial console when the system hard locks?
>
> Thanks,
> - -- Jason Wever

It locks during the "boot" process. After the ethernet interfaces come
up the next thing that loads is a daemon that accesses the network.
Bingo! Locked up. No more data to the serial console. I could try
arranging the config so that the gateway is on the internal netra ports,
so that the boot process would finish. Then try this. I'll let you
know how that goes.

Thanks, Philip