There are two slots on the side of U2. I found either two HDD (the
original one and the extra one I got today), when pluged into the second
slot, would not be detected by probe-scsi, nor in dmesg. However, either
HDD, when pluged into first slot, recognize as device 0,0,0.

So far it seems enough to tell the second slot is broken/not
functioning. But is there possibly a hidden switch or jump that could
cause second slot de-activated or disabled?

Thank you:)
Re: second SCSI slot not usable? [ In reply to ]
Done this?
at OK-prompt, type: 'probe-scsi-all'

hth
©harlie

Re: second SCSI slot not usable? [ In reply to ]
'probe-scsi-all' shouldn't make a difference in this case as
'probe-scsi' will show (only) the built-in controller anyway.
If 'probe-scsi' only shows one disk (and a cd-rom) no matter which disk
you plug into whichever slot then perhaps the second slot is broken or
some physical problem prevents it from seating properly. This will not
be solvable in Linux if the boot prom can't see the device.
I'm not aware of any way to selectively disable only one disk slot..
perhaps someone more knowledgeable can comment but I'd still suspect bad
seating or broken socket.
Didn't you have other SCSI problems some time ago Zhang? perhaps the
onboard SCSI controller is not 100% after all?

cheers,
Chris.