manually?

Any insight appreciated,
-d
Re: kde split ebuilds + ~sparc [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 18:41:56 -0800 darren kirby
<bulliver@badcomputer.org> wrote:
| I have decided to use fluxbox as my main desktop, but there are still
| some kde apps I cannot do without. So split kde ebuilds to the
| rescue. The problem is, all the split ebuilds are marked ~sparc. I
| have tried putting "kdebase/kde-meta ~sparc" in package.keywords but
| it does not do the trick. The KDE Split Ebuilds HOWTO is silent on
| this issue.
|
| Do I really need to add lines for 50 or so programs into
| package.keywords manually?

At least for now, yes. They might be going stable at some point in the
not too distant future, or we might go the way of some other archs and
not support the split ebuilds.

--
Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Fluxbox, shell tools)
Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm
Re: kde split ebuilds + ~sparc [ In reply to ]
quoth the Ciaran McCreesh:
> On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 18:41:56 -0800 darren kirby
>
> <bulliver@badcomputer.org> wrote:
> | I have decided to use fluxbox as my main desktop, but there are still
> | some kde apps I cannot do without. So split kde ebuilds to the
> | rescue. The problem is, all the split ebuilds are marked ~sparc. I
> | have tried putting "kdebase/kde-meta ~sparc" in package.keywords but
> | it does not do the trick. The KDE Split Ebuilds HOWTO is silent on
> | this issue.
> |
> | Do I really need to add lines for 50 or so programs into
> | package.keywords manually?
>
> At least for now, yes. They might be going stable at some point in the
> not too distant future, or we might go the way of some other archs and
> not support the split ebuilds.

Gotcha, thanks for the tip,
-d
Re: kde split ebuilds + ~sparc [ In reply to ]

Re: kde split ebuilds + ~sparc [ In reply to ]
quoth the Alec Warner:
> emerge gentoolkit-dev and move the kde-ebuilds into your overlay. abuse
> the "ekeyword" script from the gentoolkit to unmask with a brash
> disregard for stability ;)

He he. Well, by the time I got your note, I had already added them manually.
Only about 30 packages, not the 50 or so as I expected. This process did
reveal a shortcoming in portage though: It would be far more useful if
portage ran through all the blocked packages for a given emerge, rather than
crapping out after the first block it finds. I am sure though, there is a
sound technical/philosophical reason that this is not so.

However, I still installed gentoolkit-dev. After looking at the manpage for
ekeyword I feel a bit like the sorcerer's apprentice, wondering if I will be
able to 'stop' after starting down that road.

In any event, thanks for the heads up on this interesting tool,
-d
Re: kde split ebuilds + ~sparc [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 10:22:30 -0800 darren kirby
<bulliver@badcomputer.org> wrote:
| He he. Well, by the time I got your note, I had already added them
| manually. Only about 30 packages, not the 50 or so as I expected.
| This process did reveal a shortcoming in portage though: It would be
| far more useful if portage ran through all the blocked packages for a
| given emerge, rather than crapping out after the first block it
| finds. I am sure though, there is a sound technical/philosophical
| reason that this is not so.

Yeah, the dep resolver basically just recursively looks for something
that can satisfy each dep in the ebuild (virtuals and || () combinations
make this trickier), and as soon as it hits a dep that it can't resolve
(and assuming it can't backtrack to a different virtual or || () option)
it stops and cries.

Of course, you can always do equery list -p 'kde-*/*' and copy that into
your package.keywords file...

--
Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Fluxbox, shell tools)
Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm