Mailing List Archive

creator3d / xorg 6.8.2 on an ultra10
I'm trying to get X working on my ultra10. my xorg.conf looks like
this so far...

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "X.org Configured"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "Files"
RgbPath "/usr/lib/X11/rgb"
ModulePath "/usr/lib/modules"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/misc/"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/TTF/"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/Type1/"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/CID/"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "glx"
Load "extmod"
Load "dri"
Load "dbe"
Load "record"
Load "xtrap"
Load "freetype"
Load "type1"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
ModelName "Monitor Model"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Card0"
BoardName "Sun|FFB2+ Creator 3D (series 3) (ffb2+)"
VendorName "Sun Microsystems"
Driver "sunffb"
BusID "SBUS:0xf006d5d4"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Card0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 1
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 4
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 8
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 15
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 16
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

but when i try to start X using " X -config /root/xorg.conf.new", I
get...

X Window System Version 6.8.2
Release Date: 9 February 2005
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.8.2
Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.29-sparc sparc64 [ELF]
Current Operating System: Linux manx 2.4.29-sparc #1 SMP Mon Mar 21
13:05:19 EST 2005 sparc64
Build Date: 25 March 2005
Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.X.Org
Module Loader present
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Fri Mar 25 06:12:23 2005
(++) Using config file: "/root/xorg.conf.new"
Using vt 7
dlopen: /usr/lib/modules/drivers/sunffb_drv.so: undefined symbol:
cfbCopyPlane8to1
(EE) Failed to load /usr/lib/modules/drivers/sunffb_drv.so
(EE) Failed to load module "sunffb" (loader failed, 7)
(EE) No drivers available.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
at http://wiki.X.Org
for help.
Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional
information.

I'm assuming it can't find any screens because it can't load the FFB
driver.
cfbCopyPlane8to1 is defined in /usr/lib/modules/libcfb.so

both /usr/lib/modules/libcfb.so and
/usr/lib/modules/drivers/sunffb_drv.so say they're statically linked
(ldd).

Any help would very much appreciated

Liam

Re: creator3d / xorg 6.8.2 on an ultra10 [ In reply to ]
On Fri, March 25, 2005 12:18, liam hoekenga said:
> I'm trying to get X working on my ultra10. my xorg.conf looks like
> this so far...
>
> Section "ServerLayout"
> Identifier "X.org Configured"
> Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
> InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
> InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Files"
> RgbPath "/usr/lib/X11/rgb"
> ModulePath "/usr/lib/modules"
> FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/misc/"
> FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/TTF/"
> FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/Type1/"
> FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/CID/"
> FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/"
> FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Module"
> Load "glx"
> Load "extmod"
> Load "dri"
> Load "dbe"
> Load "record"
> Load "xtrap"
> Load "freetype"
> Load "type1"
> EndSection
*snip*
I've also had this problem...
Try to add 'Load "cfb"'
and 'Load "cfb32"'
to your modules-section...

> Any help would very much appreciated
>
> Liam

hth
/Charlie

Re: creator3d / xorg 6.8.2 on an ultra10 [ In reply to ]

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005, liam hoekenga wrote:

> I'm trying to get X working on my ultra10. my xorg.conf looks like this so
> far...

Generally, for working xorg.conf, you can look at
http://dev.gentoo.org/~fmccor/docs/xorg/xorg.conf/xorg.conf.html
and pick the correct one for your kernel. Unfortunately,
"X -config" fails right now because it doesn't know how to load
some dynamically loaded modules, but it doesn't do a very good job
for sparc anyway. More comments below.

> Section "ServerLayout"
> Identifier "X.org Configured"
> Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
> InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
> InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Files"
> RgbPath "/usr/lib/X11/rgb"
> ModulePath "/usr/lib/modules"
> FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/misc/"
> FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/TTF/"
> FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/Type1/"
> FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/CID/"
> FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/"
> FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Module"
> Load "glx"
> Load "extmod"
> Load "dri"
> Load "dbe"
> Load "record"
> Load "xtrap"
> Load "freetype"
> Load "type1"
> EndSection

You are also going to need
Load "cfb"
Load "cfb32"

> Section "InputDevice"
> Identifier "Keyboard0"
> Driver "kbd"
> EndSection

Unless you are kernel-2.6.x, you need to use "keyboard" driver.
See link given above.

> Section "InputDevice"
> Identifier "Mouse0"
> Driver "mouse"
> Option "Protocol" "auto"
> Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
> EndSection

Same sort of comment. Please see link from above.

> Section "Monitor"
> Identifier "Monitor0"
> VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
> ModelName "Monitor Model"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
> Identifier "Card0"
> BoardName "Sun|FFB2+ Creator 3D (series 3) (ffb2+)"
> VendorName "Sun Microsystems"
> Driver "sunffb"
> BusID "SBUS:0xf006d5d4"
> EndSection
>

> Section "Screen"
> Identifier "Screen0"
> Device "Card0"
> Monitor "Monitor0"
> SubSection "Display"
> Viewport 0 0
> Depth 1
> EndSubSection
> SubSection "Display"
> Viewport 0 0
> Depth 4
> EndSubSection
> SubSection "Display"
> Viewport 0 0
> Depth 8
> EndSubSection
> SubSection "Display"
> Viewport 0 0
> Depth 15
> EndSubSection
> SubSection "Display"
> Viewport 0 0
> Depth 16
> EndSubSection
> SubSection "Display"
> Viewport 0 0
> Depth 24
> EndSubSection
> EndSection

The only depth that works for Creator is 24.

> but when i try to start X using " X -config /root/xorg.conf.new", I get...
>
> X Window System Version 6.8.2
> Release Date: 9 February 2005
> X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.8.2
> Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.29-sparc sparc64 [ELF]
> Current Operating System: Linux manx 2.4.29-sparc #1 SMP Mon Mar 21 13:05:19
> EST 2005 sparc64
> Build Date: 25 March 2005
> Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.X.Org
> to make sure that you have the latest version.
> Module Loader present
> Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
> (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
> (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
> (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Fri Mar 25 06:12:23 2005
> (++) Using config file: "/root/xorg.conf.new"
> Using vt 7
> dlopen: /usr/lib/modules/drivers/sunffb_drv.so: undefined symbol:
> cfbCopyPlane8to1
> (EE) Failed to load /usr/lib/modules/drivers/sunffb_drv.so
> (EE) Failed to load module "sunffb" (loader failed, 7)
> (EE) No drivers available.
>
> Fatal server error:
> no screens found
>
> Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
> at http://wiki.X.Org
> for help.
> Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional
> information.
>
> I'm assuming it can't find any screens because it can't load the FFB driver.
> cfbCopyPlane8to1 is defined in /usr/lib/modules/libcfb.so
>
> both /usr/lib/modules/libcfb.so and /usr/lib/modules/drivers/sunffb_drv.so
> say they're statically linked (ldd).

When ldd says that, it is teasing you. They are loaded dynamically by
X using the standard (Linux) dlloader.

> Any help would very much appreciated
>
> Liam

Just make a couple changes as indicated above and start X for real.
Getting "X -config" to do anything for you unfortunately is hopeless
right now. Again, please look at the xorg.conf files I pointed you
to above. I use both of them with Creator3D ser. 2 (ffb2+) systems.

Hope this helps,
Regards,
Ferris
- --
Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@gentoo.org>
Developer, Gentoo Linux (Sparc)

Re: creator3d / xorg 6.8.2 on an ultra10 [ In reply to ]
Looking around google, I also found some information about the afb
microcode used to enable acceleration on the Creator3d / Elite3d video
cards. Will I actually need this?

Liam

Re: creator3d / xorg 6.8.2 on an ultra10 [ In reply to ]
liam hoekenga wrote:
> Looking around google, I also found some information about the afb
> microcode used to enable acceleration on the Creator3d / Elite3d video
> cards. Will I actually need this?

No.

If you have a Creator card, you do not need it. In fact, if you force
it to load into a Creator card, the results are unpleasant. Any
reference to the afb microcode's applying to ffb is flat out wrong
(unless the reference says not to use it on ffb).

Regards,
Ferris
Re: creator3d / xorg 6.8.2 on an ultra10 [ In reply to ]
>> Section "InputDevice"
>> Identifier "Keyboard0"
>> Driver "kbd"
>> EndSection
>
> Unless you are kernel-2.6.x, you need to use "keyboard" driver.
> See link given above.

I'd try the 2.6 kernel, but I couldn't find a kernel source that wanted
to build
on sparc.

The "keyboard" drive won't load...

(II) LoadModule: "keyboard"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/modules/input/keyboard_drv.so
(EE) LoadModule: Module keyboard does not have a keyboardModuleData
data object.
(II) UnloadModule: "keyboard"
(II) Unloading /usr/lib/modules/input/keyboard_drv.so
(EE) Failed to load module "keyboard" (invalid module, 0)
(WW) *** WARNING the legacy keyboard driver "keyboard" is deprecated
(WW) *** and will be removed in the next release of the Xorg server.
(WW) *** Please consider using the the new "kbd" driver for "Keyboard0".

The "kbd" drive /seems/ to load ok, though.

(II) LoadModule: "kbd"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/modules/input/kbd_drv.so
(II) Module kbd: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 0.4

>> Section "InputDevice"
>> Identifier "Mouse0"
>> Driver "mouse"
>> Option "Protocol" "auto"
>> Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
>> EndSection

I altered /etc/devfs.conf to link /dev/mouse to sunmouse. I see
"traffic" when
I cat /dev/mouse and move the mouse..

> The only depth that works for Creator is 24.

Do you set the resolution in openfirmware? On solaris, you'd use ffbconfig, I
think..

> Just make a couple changes as indicated above and start X for real.
> Getting "X -config" to do anything for you unfortunately is hopeless
> right now. Again, please look at the xorg.conf files I pointed you
> to above. I use both of them with Creator3D ser. 2 (ffb2+) systems.

I grabbed your config file, and have gotten further. I'm now getting

*** If unresolved symbols were reported above, they might not
*** be the reason for the server aborting.

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11. Server aborting

If I use "keyboard", the only EE class errors are the ones I mentioned.
I don't
get any EE class error in the log file I use the "kbd" driver. In both cases,
tho, I'm getting the "Caught signal 11. Server aborting" message.

I've got this thing hooked up to a Dell flat panel display. Could the
issue be
a resolution that the monitor doesn't support?

Liam

Re: creator3d / xorg 6.8.2 on an ultra10 [ In reply to ]
> I grabbed your config file, and have gotten further. I'm now getting
>

> *** If unresolved symbols were reported above, they might not
> *** be the reason for the server aborting.
>
> Fatal server error:
> Caught signal 11. Server aborting

> I've got this thing hooked up to a Dell flat panel display. Could
> the issue be a resolution that the monitor doesn't support?

Works when I hook it up to a CRT.

So... how to change the resolution w/o ffbconfig?

Liam

Re: creator3d / xorg 6.8.2 on an ultra10 [ In reply to ]
liam hoekenga wrote:

>>> Section "InputDevice"
>>> Identifier "Keyboard0"
>>> Driver "kbd"
>>> EndSection
>>

>> Unless you are kernel-2.6.x, you need to use "keyboard" driver.
>> See link given above.
>

> I'd try the 2.6 kernel, but I couldn't find a kernel source that wanted
> to build
> on sparc.
>
> The "keyboard" drive won't load...
>
> (II) LoadModule: "keyboard"
> (II) Loading /usr/lib/modules/input/keyboard_drv.so
> (EE) LoadModule: Module keyboard does not have a keyboardModuleData data
> object.
> (II) UnloadModule: "keyboard"
> (II) Unloading /usr/lib/modules/input/keyboard_drv.so
> (EE) Failed to load module "keyboard" (invalid module, 0)
> (WW) *** WARNING the legacy keyboard driver "keyboard" is deprecated
> (WW) *** and will be removed in the next release of the Xorg server.
> (WW) *** Please consider using the the new "kbd" driver for "Keyboard0".

Normal and expected. It is reverting to the legacy driver, which is
what you need.

> The "kbd" drive /seems/ to load ok, though.
>
> (II) LoadModule: "kbd"
> (II) Loading /usr/lib/modules/input/kbd_drv.so
> (II) Module kbd: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
> compiled for 6.8.2, module version = 1.0.0
> Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
> ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 0.4
>
>>> Section "InputDevice"
>>> Identifier "Mouse0"
>>> Driver "mouse"
>>> Option "Protocol" "auto"
>>> Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
>>> EndSection
>

> I altered /etc/devfs.conf to link /dev/mouse to sunmouse. I see
> "traffic" when
> I cat /dev/mouse and move the mouse..
>
>> The only depth that works for Creator is 24.
>

> Do you set the resolution in openfirmware? On solaris, you'd use

No. You just want the DefaultDepth 24

> ffbconfig, I
> think..
>
>> Just make a couple changes as indicated above and start X for real.
>> Getting "X -config" to do anything for you unfortunately is hopeless
>> right now. Again, please look at the xorg.conf files I pointed you
>> to above. I use both of them with Creator3D ser. 2 (ffb2+) systems.
>

> I grabbed your config file, and have gotten further. I'm now getting
>

> *** If unresolved symbols were reported above, they might not
> *** be the reason for the server aborting.
>
> Fatal server error:
> Caught signal 11. Server aborting

Someplace above that abort is the real error message. We need to see it
before knowing the problem.

> If I use "keyboard", the only EE class errors are the ones I mentioned.
> I don't
> get any EE class error in the log file I use the "kbd" driver. In both
> cases,
> tho, I'm getting the "Caught signal 11. Server aborting" message.
>
> I've got this thing hooked up to a Dell flat panel display. Could the
> issue be
> a resolution that the monitor doesn't support?

Possible, I suppose. Although I am writing this from a Samsung 171V
flat panel monitor. You should be able to adjust your monitor to
whatever you like, and the Creator card will try very hard to use it.
If you can boot, etc., and are happy with that, xorg ought to be, too.

If nothing else works, we can look at your /var/log/Xorg.0.log file
(assuming correct xorg.conf).

Re: creator3d / xorg 6.8.2 on an ultra10 [ In reply to ]
liam hoekenga wrote:

>> I grabbed your config file, and have gotten further. I'm now getting
>>

>> *** If unresolved symbols were reported above, they might not
>> *** be the reason for the server aborting.
>>
>> Fatal server error:
>> Caught signal 11. Server aborting
>

>> I've got this thing hooked up to a Dell flat panel display. Could the
>> issue be a resolution that the monitor doesn't support?
>

> Works when I hook it up to a CRT.
>
> So... how to change the resolution w/o ffbconfig?

One possibility is to change xorg.conf to match whatever your resolution
is. Another is to change the resolution at the monitor itself (the
monitor is adjustable?). Third is through openboot commands:
At the 'ok' prompt, you can set the output device to match your screen,
but I never remember the correct syntax; someone else will have to help.
If you ask on the IRC freenode #gentoo-sparc channel, someone there
will recall the syntax. I'm checking the documentation, but right now
I'm not finding it.

(I think it's something like "setenv output-device screen:<resolution>,
but I can't find it right now; other people know.)
> Liam

Sorry I can't be more definite on the openboot command; it is commonly
done, but not by me.

Re: creator3d / xorg 6.8.2 on an ultra10 [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 16:29:05 +0000
Ferris McCormick <fmccor@gentoo.org> wrote:

> > I've got this thing hooked up to a Dell flat panel display. Could the
> > issue be
> > a resolution that the monitor doesn't support?
>
> Possible, I suppose.

Not possible. The X server for creator3d does not change the
resolution at all, we use whatever mode the card came booted
up in. So if you get a kernel console, whatever X ends up using
will work too.

Re: creator3d / xorg 6.8.2 on an ultra10 [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 11:28:27 -0500
liam hoekenga <liamr@umich.edu> wrote:

> Works when I hook it up to a CRT.
>
> So... how to change the resolution w/o ffbconfig?

The creator has to be your main OBP output screen,
and then you have to play with the "output-device"
OBP environment var.

I have a Sony 24" LCD and I want the Creator3D in full
HDTV resolution, so I set output-device to 'screen:r1920x1200x70'

The Sun Framebuffer handbook gives a list of supported
resolutions and refresh rates, per Creator3D model.

Re: creator3d / xorg 6.8.2 on an ultra10 [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 16:58:30 +0000
Ferris McCormick <fmccor@gentoo.org> wrote:

> One possibility is to change xorg.conf to match whatever your resolution
> is.

It shouldn't matter, the X server has no idea how to change
resolutions on the Creator3d. It just tells the X server
whatever resolution the Creator3d is in at the moment and that
is what the X server uses.

When the Creator is the non-primary console, it probably isn't
being setup properly by the firmware nor the kernel, and I bet
this is the source of the troubles.

Re: creator3d / xorg 6.8.2 on an ultra10 [ In reply to ]
> One possibility is to change xorg.conf to match whatever your resolution
> is.

This is what I ended up doing.

> Third is through openboot commands:
> At the 'ok' prompt, you can set the output device to match your screen,

I tried this too.. it worked.. I just prefered to go with the xorg.conf
solution. Anyway, the usage is..

setenv output-device screen:r1280x1024x76

One more problem.. It can't load the DRI stuff?

(II) /dev/fb0: Detected FFB2+/vertical, Z-buffer, Double-buffered.
(II) /dev/fb0: BT498 (PAC2) ramdac detected
(II) /dev/fb0: Detected Creator/Creator3D
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device)
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device)
drmOpenDevice: Open failed
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device)
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device)
drmOpenDevice: Open failed
[drm] failed to load kernel module "ffb"
(II) SUNFFB(0): [drm] drmOpen failed
(EE) SUNFFB(0): [dri] DRIScreenInit failed. Disabling DRI.
(II) /dev/fb0: DRM setup failed
(==) SUNFFB(0): Backing store disabled

Is this normal?

Liam

Re: creator3d / xorg 6.8.2 on an ultra10 [ In reply to ]
liam hoekenga wrote:
>> One possibility is to change xorg.conf to match whatever your resolution
>> is.
>

> This is what I ended up doing.
>
>> Third is through openboot commands:
>> At the 'ok' prompt, you can set the output device to match your screen,
>

> I tried this too.. it worked.. I just prefered to go with the xorg.conf
> solution. Anyway, the usage is..
>
> setenv output-device screen:r1280x1024x76
>
> One more problem.. It can't load the DRI stuff?
>
> (II) /dev/fb0: Detected FFB2+/vertical, Z-buffer, Double-buffered.
> (II) /dev/fb0: BT498 (PAC2) ramdac detected
> (II) /dev/fb0: Detected Creator/Creator3D
> drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
> drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device)
> drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device)
> drmOpenDevice: Open failed
> drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
> drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device)
> drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device)
> drmOpenDevice: Open failed
> [drm] failed to load kernel module "ffb"
> (II) SUNFFB(0): [drm] drmOpen failed
> (EE) SUNFFB(0): [dri] DRIScreenInit failed. Disabling DRI.
> (II) /dev/fb0: DRM setup failed
> (==) SUNFFB(0): Backing store disabled
>
> Is this normal?
>
> Liam

If you are running kernel > 2.6.6, DRM is not available. With kernel
2.4.28, you have to compile it into the kernel explicitly: e.g.,
CONFIG_DRM_NEW=y
CONFIG_DRM_FFB=y

Re: creator3d / xorg 6.8.2 on an ultra10 [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 18:04:00 +0000
Ferris McCormick <fmccor@gentoo.org> wrote:

> If you are running kernel > 2.6.6, DRM is not available. With kernel
> 2.4.28, you have to compile it into the kernel explicitly: e.g.,
> CONFIG_DRM_NEW=y
> CONFIG_DRM_FFB=y

X.org's creator3D driver has DRM support removed, in order to
support the render extension and use the XAA layer.

Re: creator3d / xorg 6.8.2 on an ultra10 [ In reply to ]
David S. Miller wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 18:04:00 +0000
> Ferris McCormick <fmccor@gentoo.org> wrote:
>

>>If you are running kernel > 2.6.6, DRM is not available. With kernel
>>2.4.28, you have to compile it into the kernel explicitly: e.g.,
>>CONFIG_DRM_NEW=y
>>CONFIG_DRM_FFB=y
>

> X.org's creator3D driver has DRM support removed, in order to
> support the render extension and use the XAA layer.
>
> I should know, I wrote those changes :-)

Yes, but with xorg-x11-6.8.2-r1 (the current supported version) on
Gentoo Sparc, those changes are still optional because (1) they are not
officially part of the xorg release yet (at version 6.8.2), and (2) to
allow a transition period in case anyone needs it. They are definitely
available at http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=79467, and we highly
recommend the XAA patch (changes cure some annoying problems with
sunffb+libSDL, among other things), but it is not yet default for us.
So it is possible to have current xorg-x11 + DRM in sunffb. Thus my
comment.

Rather than patching xorg-x11 and then pulling the patch out once the
XAA changes were integrated into the xorg-x11 release branch, it seemed
more prudent to make them optional but recommended for this Gentoo
release cycle.

Re: creator3d / xorg 6.8.2 on an ultra10 [ In reply to ]
Thanks to everyone - I've got X11 up on my U10. I can't tell, however,
I've got
accelerated 2D video.. and I'm pretty certain that the 3D video isn't
working at
all (glxgears gives me framerates, but no images).

Is this normal? Should OpenGL be working?

Liam

Re: creator3d / xorg 6.8.2 on an ultra10 [ In reply to ]
liam hoekenga wrote:
> Thanks to everyone - I've got X11 up on my U10. I can't tell, however,
> I've got
> accelerated 2D video.. and I'm pretty certain that the 3D video isn't
> working at
> all (glxgears gives me framerates, but no images).
>
> Is this normal? Should OpenGL be working?

"Should"? Well, yes, it should, but it doesn't quite. This is normal
instead.
You might want to look at https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=79467
and apply the patch attached to it:
https://bugs.gentoo.org/attachment.cgi?id=53024&action=view
(In /usr/portage/x11-base/xorg-x11. do:
patch -p0 -z- -b < xorg-x11-6.8.2-r1-sparc.patch
and then rebuild xorg-x11 with USE="xaa {your other use flags}". Don't
worry about line offset warnings; the patch applies correctly.)

In fact, we highly recommend this; this patch is in xorg's CVS tree,
headed for release "real soon now."