Mailing List Archive

A machine for the project
Hi,

I saw this on the gentoo-sparc project page :
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Gentoo/Staffing_Needs/SPARC_Team_Member

I have a v880 sitting in my office with the following specs:
- 8 x US-III+ @ 1.2ghz
- 16G ram
- Bunch of FC and cassini ethernet cards
- Working RSC
- Only two tiny (8G) local disks, which are just enough to boot from
- Connected over GigE to a synology NAS with 7 TB of net storage available,
can do ISCSI, NFS, etc ...

I would like this machine to be useful to the community.
It sits in my office in a separate (noise insulated) room. It is reachable
over a 70 mbit VDSL line with a static IP.
If it can be useful for gentoo-sparc, please, by all means, use it.
You can boot it whenever it's needed, and run it for as long as you need it
(within reason, this thing is a power hog).

This machine was used as a build box for DilOS (http://www.dilos.org/)
before, but that has now been moved to two t5120s, so this v880 is now
available again.
It worked quite well as a build box due to the 8 cpus and plenty of ram.

Contact me for access and setup.

Kind Regards,

-Kevin
Re: A machine for the project [ In reply to ]
Kevin,

Thank you for the offer to use your hardware. Unfortunately, I have
enough hardware for my needs. We have a larger need for people willing
to help out then hardware. Perhaps, you would be willing to make builds
via catalyst or do arch testing (AT). Let us know if you are able to
commit some time. thanks again.

--
Jack Morgan
Pub 4096R/761D8E0A 2010-09-13 Jack Morgan <jmorgan@gentoo.org>
Re: A machine for the project [ In reply to ]
Hi Jack,

I'd love to help, but i don't have all that much spare time.
That being said, i'll read up a bit on what you expect of me.
Or perhaps you could tell me?

Kind Regards,

-Kevin

Re: A machine for the project [ In reply to ]
Kevin,

On 08/09/16 01:41, Kevin Stabel wrote:
> Hi Jack,
>
> I'd love to help, but i don't have all that much spare time.
> That being said, i'll read up a bit on what you expect of me.
> Or perhaps you could tell me?
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> -Kevin
>
> > I have a v880 sitting in my office with the following specs:
> > - 8 x US-III+ @ 1.2ghz
> > - 16G ram
> > - Bunch of FC and cassini ethernet cards
> > - Working RSC
> > - Only two tiny (8G) local disks, which are just enough to boot from
> > - Connected over GigE to a synology NAS with 7 TB of net storage
> > available, can do ISCSI, NFS, etc ...
> >
> > I would like this machine to be useful to the community.
> > It sits in my office in a separate (noise insulated) room. It is
> > reachable over a 70 mbit VDSL line with a static IP.
> > If it can be useful for gentoo-sparc, please, by all means, use it.
> > You can boot it whenever it's needed, and run it for as long as you
> > need it (within reason, this thing is a power hog).

There are two ways you can use your system to help.

First, you could help by doing builds of stages and ISO. You will need
to learn about Catalyst via the Releng project[1].

Second, you can help by testing packages as an Arch Tester (AT)[2] for
sparc.

It really depends on how much time you want to contribute.

[1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:RelEng
[2] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:SPARC/Arch_tester

Re: A machine for the project [ In reply to ]
----- On 9 Aug, 2016, at 9:55 PM, Jack Morgan jmorgan@gentoo.org wrote:

> There are two ways you can use your system to help.
>
> First, you could help by doing builds of stages and ISO. You will need
> to learn about Catalyst via the Releng project[1].
>
> Second, you can help by testing packages as an Arch Tester (AT)[2] for
> sparc.
>
> It really depends on how much time you want to contribute.
>

> [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:RelEng
> [2] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:SPARC/Arch_tester

Time is always the issue :)

However I would also like to eventuality help out too.
I have a T5120, I would like to get the ISO images up to-date.
Maybe AT later on as well.

Thanks for the info Jack!