Mailing List Archive

Building new kernel - a few questions
Hi all,
Thanks in advance to Mat and others who responded to my questions
over the last couple of days. The Mac Mini now boots Gentoo, starts up
MythTV automatically and runs very nicely as far as I can tell so far.
I still have some issues I need to solve and am hoping for some more
guidance. Thanks.

1) Sound. What's the proper Alsa driver for this machine? lspci shows
the following:

MacMini ~ # lspci
0000:00:0b.0 Host bridge: Apple Computer Inc. UniNorth 2 AGP
0000:00:10.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV280
[Radeon 9200] (rev 01)
0001:10:0b.0 Host bridge: Apple Computer Inc. UniNorth 2 PCI
0001:10:12.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318
[AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)
0001:10:17.0 Class ff00: Apple Computer Inc. KeyLargo/Intrepid Mac I/O
0001:10:18.0 USB Controller: Apple Computer Inc. KeyLargo/Intrepid USB
0001:10:19.0 USB Controller: Apple Computer Inc. KeyLargo/Intrepid USB
0001:10:1a.0 USB Controller: Apple Computer Inc. KeyLargo/Intrepid USB
0001:10:1b.0 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB (rev 43)
0001:10:1b.1 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB (rev 43)
0001:10:1b.2 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB 2.0 (rev 04)
0002:20:0b.0 Host bridge: Apple Computer Inc. UniNorth 2 Internal PCI
0002:20:0d.0 Class ff00: Apple Computer Inc. UniNorth/Intrepid ATA/100
0002:20:0e.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Apple Computer Inc. UniNorth 2
FireWire (rev 81)
0002:20:0f.0 Ethernet controller: Apple Computer Inc. UniNorth 2 GMAC
(Sun GEM) (rev 80)
MacMini ~ #

I'm used to seeing a sound chip listed on X86 machines but none here
so I assume it's buried in the chip set. What do I choose during
kernel config.

By the way - if it matters when I boot from the Gentoo install disk I
see this info on the screen:

Apple|DMASOUND
driver = dmasound_pmac

I searched for dmasound in make menuconfig but it only finds Atari stuff.

rc-update show does not show Alsa running from the CD boot so I'm
unclear what sound driver this might be.

2) yaboot and the new kernel. Double checking the right steps

From the PPC install docs after I build the kernel I need to copy it to /boot

# cd /usr/src/linux
# cp vmlinux /boot/kernel-2.6.24-gentoo-r3_A

(Just appending _A so as to not overwrite the kernel I'm currently running.)

I would then modify my yaboot file like this:

boot=/dev/hda2

device=/pci@f4000000/ata-6@d/disk@0:2

partition=4

delay=10

timeout=40
default=2.6.24-gentoo-r3
install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot

image=/boot/kernel-2.6.24-gentoo-r3
label=2.6.24-gentoo-r3
root=/dev/hda4
partition=4
append="video=radeonfb:1024x768-8@60"
read-only

image=/boot/kernel-2.6.24-gentoo-r3_A
label=2.6.24-gentoo-r3_A
root=/dev/hda4
partition=4
append="video=radeonfb:1024x768-8@60"
read-only

and once everything is in place run ybin -v.

Does that sound correct?

I'm fine with cleaning things up later as this is a learning
experience for me. I don't mind doing things a few times to learn the
process. I just don't want to hose up the machine as it's currently
working and I'd prefer not to start over.

Re: Building new kernel - a few questions [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 9:42 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
<SNIP>

> timeout=40
> default=2.6.24-gentoo-r3
> install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
> magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot

Changed default to also use _A, ran ybin -v and rebooted a second
time. Now running my new kernel. Success!

Now, I found snd-powermac which modprobes OK:

MacMini ppc # modprobe snd-powermac
MacMini ppc # lsmod
Module Size Used by
snd_powermac 43392 0
snd_pcm 83112 1 snd_powermac
snd_timer 22632 1 snd_pcm
snd 52296 3 snd_powermac,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore 7144 1 snd
snd_page_alloc 9128 1 snd_pcm
radeon 139656 2
drm 80572 3 radeon
ipv6 266452 12
lirc_streamzap 14116 0
lirc_dev 13704 1 lirc_streamzap
usbhid 31620 0
ohci1394 35024 0
ieee1394 92464 1 ohci1394
ehci_hcd 33356 0
ohci_hcd 33188 0
usbcore 149208 5 lirc_streamzap,usbhid,ehci_hcd,ohci_hcd
ssb 32356 0
uninorth_agp 9516 1
agpgart 33216 2 drm,uninorth_agp
MacMini ppc #

So I'm assuming for now that when I get the Alsa config files
straightened up that is what I want?

Thanks,
Mark
Re: Building new kernel - a few questions [ In reply to ]
> 1) Sound. What's the proper Alsa driver for this machine? lspci shows
> the following:
>
> MacMini ~ # lspci

i dont think the sound is on the pci bus, thats why lspci will not
show it. i dont have the kernel sources here so i can not check how
i set mine up.

> image=/boot/kernel-2.6.24-gentoo-r3
> label=2.6.24-gentoo-r3
> root=/dev/hda4
> partition=4
> append="video=radeonfb:1024x768-8@60"
> read-only
>
> image=/boot/kernel-2.6.24-gentoo-r3_A
> label=2.6.24-gentoo-r3_A
> root=/dev/hda4
> partition=4
> append="video=radeonfb:1024x768-8@60"
> read-only
>
> and once everything is in place run ybin -v.
>
> Does that sound correct?

yes, except i would shorten the label since you have to type that in.

matt
Re: Building new kernel - a few questions [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 11:43 AM, matt hull <mattmatteh@mac.com> wrote:

> > 1) Sound. What's the proper Alsa driver for this machine? lspci shows
> > the following:
> >
> > MacMini ~ # lspci
> >

> i dont think the sound is on the pci bus, thats why lspci will not show it.
> i dont have the kernel sources here so i can not check how i set mine up.

OK, that makes sense.

> > image=/boot/kernel-2.6.24-gentoo-r3
> > label=2.6.24-gentoo-r3
> > root=/dev/hda4
> > partition=4
> > append="video=radeonfb:1024x768-8@60"
> > read-only
> >
> > image=/boot/kernel-2.6.24-gentoo-r3_A
> > label=2.6.24-gentoo-r3_A
> > root=/dev/hda4
> > partition=4
> > append="video=radeonfb:1024x768-8@60"
> > read-only
> >
> > and once everything is in place run ybin -v.
> >
> > Does that sound correct?
> >

> yes, except i would shorten the label since you have to type that in.
>
> matt

Great. Thanks.

Since I wrote this email earlier this morning I managed to get the new
kernel booted and sound it working. MythTV works OK and controls sound
levels as long as I set the sound device to PCM inside of Myth.

The one problem I'm having right now is that when I try to shut the
machine down it hangs on 'Unloading Alsa modules". Only way out so far
is the power switch. I'm scanning around for info on this sort of
problem but haven't found anyone else reporting it as of yet. Not a
good problem but the machine is at least usable.

cheers,
Mark
Re: Building new kernel - a few questions [ In reply to ]
>> The one problem I'm having right now is that when I try to shut the
> machine down it hangs on 'Unloading Alsa modules". Only way out so far
> is the power switch. I'm scanning around for info on this sort of
> problem but haven't found anyone else reporting it as of yet. Not a
> good problem but the machine is at least usable.

i still need to file a bug on that. its been a problem for a long
time now. i dont reboot. there is an easy fix; one line in etc/
init.d/alsasound someone on #gentoo told me how, but i ran an update
and lost it... oops.

matt
Re: Building new kernel - a few questions [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 1:06 PM, matt hull <mattmatteh@mac.com> wrote:

> > > The one problem I'm having right now is that when I try to shut the
> > >
> > machine down it hangs on 'Unloading Alsa modules". Only way out so far
> > is the power switch. I'm scanning around for info on this sort of
> > problem but haven't found anyone else reporting it as of yet. Not a
> > good problem but the machine is at least usable.
> >

> i still need to file a bug on that. its been a problem for a long time
> now. i dont reboot. there is an easy fix; one line in
> etc/init.d/alsasound someone on #gentoo told me how, but i ran an update
> and lost it... oops.

Bummer that you lost it.

I filed a bug on it in the Alsa-Devel Mantis system over the weekend.
If you can spend a minute and add your inputs that would be cool.
Here's the link:

https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=3911

If you think this is a Gentoo specific issue please let me know. If I
never start Alsa then I have no problem rebooting and since the init
script seems to have been written by Gentoo folks maybe it's not an
Alsa issue?

I wish you hadn't lost that fix! :-)

BTW - completely repeatable. I rebuilt the machine from scratch over
the weekend and got exactly the same results.

Cheers,
Mark
Re: Building new kernel - a few questions [ In reply to ]
On Apr 21, 2008, at 3:14 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:

>>> machine down it hangs on 'Unloading Alsa modules". Only way out
>>> so far
>>> is the power switch. I'm scanning around for info on this sort of
>>> problem but haven't found anyone else reporting it as of yet. Not a
>>> good problem but the machine is at least usable.
>>>

>> i still need to file a bug on that. its been a problem for a
>> long time
>> now. i dont reboot. there is an easy fix; one line in
>> etc/init.d/alsasound someone on #gentoo told me how, but i ran an
>> update
>> and lost it... oops.
>>
> Bummer that you lost it.
>
> I filed a bug on it in the Alsa-Devel Mantis system over the weekend.
> If you can spend a minute and add your inputs that would be cool.
> Here's the link:

i though it was a gentoo bug. is etc/init.d/alsasound gentoo or alsa ?

> https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=3911
>
> If you think this is a Gentoo specific issue please let me know. If I
> never start Alsa then I have no problem rebooting and since the init
> script seems to have been written by Gentoo folks maybe it's not an
> Alsa issue?
>
> I wish you hadn't lost that fix! :-)

i think it was more of a hack, not a fix.

Re: Building new kernel - a few questions [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 1:18 PM, matt hull <mattmatteh@mac.com> wrote:

> On Apr 21, 2008, at 3:14 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:

> > I filed a bug on it in the Alsa-Devel Mantis system over the weekend.
> > If you can spend a minute and add your inputs that would be cool.
> > Here's the link:
> >

> i though it was a gentoo bug. is etc/init.d/alsasound gentoo or alsa ?

It has Gentoo headers in it so I assume Gentoo but I don't know really.

> > https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=3911
> >
> > If you think this is a Gentoo specific issue please let me know. If I
> > never start Alsa then I have no problem rebooting and since the init
> > script seems to have been written by Gentoo folks maybe it's not an
> > Alsa issue?
> >
> > I wish you hadn't lost that fix! :-)
> >

> i think it was more of a hack, not a fix.

I filed a post in the Forum to see if other PPC users know what to do.
Searching for 'Alsa hang' didn't turn up anything that made sense to
me. Here's the link

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-689219.html

thanks for your help. I really do appreciate it.

cheers,
Mark
Re: Building new kernel - a few questions [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 1:28 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
<SNIP>

> I filed a post in the Forum to see if other PPC users know what to do.
> Searching for 'Alsa hang' didn't turn up anything that made sense to
> me. Here's the link
>
> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-689219.html
>
> thanks for your help. I really do appreciate it.
>
> cheers,
> Mark

From the forums I can set the last option in /etc/conf.d/alsasound to
'no' and then at least the machine will shutdown. All that's doing is
not unloading the modules though. It's not really fixing anything.

Cheers,
Mark
Re: Building new kernel - a few questions [ In reply to ]

> > > https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=3911
> > >

> I filed a post in the Forum to see if other PPC users know what to do.
> Searching for 'Alsa hang' didn't turn up anything that made sense to
> me.

I had the described problem of ``Unloading ALSA modules'' blocking shutdown
(on a G5) at some point, and I believe I got rid of it by actually
compiling ALSA etc. as modules, as opposed to directly into the kernel.

Wolfram
Re: Building new kernel - a few questions [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 3:03 PM, <kahl@cas.mcmaster.ca> wrote:

> > I filed a post in the Forum to see if other PPC users know what to do.
> > Searching for 'Alsa hang' didn't turn up anything that made sense to
> > me.
>
> I had the described problem of ``Unloading ALSA modules'' blocking shutdown
> (on a G5) at some point, and I believe I got rid of it by actually
> compiling ALSA etc. as modules, as opposed to directly into the kernel.

Or maybe you did it the other way? I have mine compiled as modules
now. If I built them into the kernel then technically there wouldn't
be any modules to unload but maybe that would just hang the kernel
itself?

- Mark
Re: Building new kernel - a few questions [ In reply to ]

> > I had the described problem of ``Unloading ALSA modules'' blocking shutdown
> > (on a G5) at some point, and I believe I got rid of it by actually
> > compiling ALSA etc. as modules, as opposed to directly into the kernel.
> >

> Or maybe you did it the other way?

I am now back to that machine --- indeed:

CONFIG_SND=y
CONFIG_SND_TIMER=y
CONFIG_SND_PCM=y
CONFIG_SND_RAWMIDI=m
CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER=y
CONFIG_SND_OSSEMUL=y
CONFIG_SND_MIXER_OSS=y
CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS=y
CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS_PLUGINS=y
CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER_OSS=y
CONFIG_SND_SUPPORT_OLD_API=y
CONFIG_SND_VERBOSE_PROCFS=y
CONFIG_SND_VIRMIDI=m
CONFIG_SND_POWERMAC=y
CONFIG_SND_POWERMAC_AUTO_DRC=y
CONFIG_SND_AOA=y
CONFIG_SND_AOA_FABRIC_LAYOUT=y
CONFIG_SND_AOA_TAS=y
CONFIG_SND_AOA_SOUNDBUS=y
CONFIG_SND_AOA_SOUNDBUS_I2S=y

And it doesn't hang on shutdown.

I probably never touched /etc/conf.d/alsasound manually,
so it still has:

UNLOAD_ON_STOP="yes"

Wolfram
Re: Building new kernel - a few questions [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 6:12 PM, <kahl@cas.mcmaster.ca> wrote:

> > > I had the described problem of ``Unloading ALSA modules'' blocking shutdown
> > > (on a G5) at some point, and I believe I got rid of it by actually
> > > compiling ALSA etc. as modules, as opposed to directly into the kernel.
> > >

> > Or maybe you did it the other way?
>
> I am now back to that machine --- indeed:
>
> CONFIG_SND=y
> CONFIG_SND_TIMER=y
> CONFIG_SND_PCM=y
> CONFIG_SND_RAWMIDI=m
> CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER=y
> CONFIG_SND_OSSEMUL=y
> CONFIG_SND_MIXER_OSS=y
> CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS=y
> CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS_PLUGINS=y
> CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER_OSS=y
> CONFIG_SND_SUPPORT_OLD_API=y
> CONFIG_SND_VERBOSE_PROCFS=y
> CONFIG_SND_VIRMIDI=m
> CONFIG_SND_POWERMAC=y
> CONFIG_SND_POWERMAC_AUTO_DRC=y
> CONFIG_SND_AOA=y
> CONFIG_SND_AOA_FABRIC_LAYOUT=y
> CONFIG_SND_AOA_TAS=y
> CONFIG_SND_AOA_SOUNDBUS=y
> CONFIG_SND_AOA_SOUNDBUS_I2S=y
>

> And it doesn't hang on shutdown.
>
> I probably never touched /etc/conf.d/alsasound manually,
> so it still has:
>
> UNLOAD_ON_STOP="yes"

Thanks for checking that Wolfram. Indeed, I may end up doing it that
way myself.

Cheers,
Mark