Randy Barlow
http://www.electronsweatshop.com
"Oh me of little faith..."
Re: hda/hdc [ In reply to ]
Randy Barlow wrote:
> Howdy all! I'm new to ppc but not new to Gentoo. I just picked up an old G3
> Blue and White for $20 to play around with, and I'm just starting to install
> Gentoo. I'm noticing that my hard drive seems to be showing up as hdc and
> the cdrom as hda in the install cd environment. Is this normal/ok? I can't
> think of any reason that it wouldn't be OK, but it does seem strange to me.
> Perhaps the drives are plugged into the mobo backwards? I haven't opened the
> box yet...

I just finished installing Gentoo on a Blue&White, so I can offer some
advice. Don't trouble yourself at first with the hardware (which bus
the HD is plugged in to, jumpers, etc.) Just install Gentoo to
/dev/hdc. Now once you boot into your kernel, more than likely the
devices will be ordered /dev/hda - hard drive /dev/hde - CD. So then
you have to chroot in again and manually edit yaboot.conf on the
bootstrap partition to point to /dev/hda. Also, don't forget to update
your /etc/fstab to reflect the fact that the hard drive is now /dev/hda.

Hope that helps!

--
Nathan Smith
ndansmith@gmail.com
Re: hda/hdc [ In reply to ]
On Saturday 13 January 2007 13:10, Nathan Smith wrote:
> I just finished installing Gentoo on a Blue&White, so I can offer some
> advice. Don't trouble yourself at first with the hardware (which bus
> the HD is plugged in to, jumpers, etc.) Just install Gentoo to
> /dev/hdc. Now once you boot into your kernel, more than likely the
> devices will be ordered /dev/hda - hard drive /dev/hde - CD. So then
> you have to chroot in again and manually edit yaboot.conf on the
> bootstrap partition to point to /dev/hda. Also, don't forget to update
> your /etc/fstab to reflect the fact that the hard drive is now /dev/hda.

Thanks for the heads up!

Re: hda/hdc [ In reply to ]
Hello Randy

On Sat, Jan 13, 2007 at 12:56:30PM -0500, Randy Barlow wrote:
> I'm noticing that my hard drive seems to be showing up as hdc and the
> cdrom as hda in the install cd environment.

You might need CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_PMAC_ATA100FIRST in your kernel.

Greets,
Michael

--
Gentoo Linux developer, http://hansmi.ch/, http://forkbomb.ch/
Re: hda/hdc [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 2007-01-13 at 10:10 -0800, Nathan Smith wrote:
> I just finished installing Gentoo on a Blue&White, so I can offer some
> advice. Don't trouble yourself at first with the hardware (which bus
> the HD is plugged in to, jumpers, etc.) Just install Gentoo to
> /dev/hdc. Now once you boot into your kernel, more than likely the
> devices will be ordered /dev/hda - hard drive /dev/hde - CD. So then
> you have to chroot in again and manually edit yaboot.conf on the
> bootstrap partition to point to /dev/hda. Also, don't forget to update
> your /etc/fstab to reflect the fact that the hard drive is now /dev/hda.

Thanks to Michael and Nathan for your help so far. I've
tried /dev/hda,c and e as being root upon rebooting, and every time I
get a kernel panic. I'm not totally sure why, but I've been looking
into the config to make sure I have things enabled properly (already
found that I hadn't put support for my IDE interface, but that wasn't
the only problem) Any other gotchas? I'm completely new to the Mac
hardware, so this is kind of bewildering to me!

Randy Barlow
http://www.electronsweatshop.com
If there was any justice, my face would be on a bunch of crappy
merchandise! -- Homer Simpson Flaming Moe's

Re: hda/hdc [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 2007-01-14 at 18:42 -0500, Randy Barlow wrote:
> Thanks to Michael and Nathan for your help so far. I've
> tried /dev/hda,c and e as being root upon rebooting, and every time I
> get a kernel panic. I'm not totally sure why, but I've been looking
> into the config to make sure I have things enabled properly (already
> found that I hadn't put support for my IDE interface, but that wasn't
> the only problem) Any other gotchas? I'm completely new to the Mac
> hardware, so this is kind of bewildering to me!

Writing in to give more details - I do have the
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_PMAC_ATA100FIRST set in the kernel, and hda is still
showing up as hda. I also do not see any lines in the boot reporting
that the hard drive has been detected (though they scroll by pretty
quickly and it's hard to tell - is there a way to see what the dmesg was
for a kernel that didn't finish booting due to a kernel panic?) The
panic is the famous "Cannot open root device "hda8" or
unknown-block(0,0)". Well, the cdrom doesn't have an hda8 of course, so
this isn't surprising. What I'm attempting to discover is what I am
missing in the kernel config to get my hard drive correctly supported.
Further suggestions?

Re: hda/hdc [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 2007-01-14 at 21:54 -0500, Randy Barlow wrote:
> and hda is still
> showing up as hda.

Sorry I'm an idiot, that was supposed to read, "and the cdrom is still
showing up as hda."

Re: hda/hdc [ In reply to ]
Hello Randy

On Sun, Jan 14, 2007 at 09:54:23PM -0500, Randy Barlow wrote:
> is there a way to see what the dmesg was for a kernel that didn't
> finish booting due to a kernel panic?

Yes, netconsole as described in Documentation/networking/netconsole.txt.

Greets,
Michael

--
Gentoo Linux developer, http://hansmi.ch/, http://forkbomb.ch/
Re: hda/hdc [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2007-01-15 at 11:03 +0100, Michael Hanselmann wrote:
> Yes, netconsole as described in Documentation/networking/netconsole.txt.

OK - now I'm really baffled - I've tried again but this time I used
genkernel. However, even the genkerneled kernel can't seem to detect my
hard drive! This time I was allowed to drop to a shell and the only hd*
was hda, my cdrom. The thing that's killing me is that the gentoo boot
cd is obviously able to do it, and I even copied the config from that cd
over as per the genkernel instructions, still to no avail.

Nathan, you mentioned having just installed on a blue&white - I assume
that these machines are enough similar that the config that you used
should be good enough to work for me too - do you think you could send
me your .config off list so I can try that out?

Randy Barlow
http://www.electronsweatshop.com
The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she
served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never
been found. -- Calvin Trillin

Re: hda/hdc [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2007-01-15 at 11:37 -0500, Randy Barlow wrote:
> OK - now I'm really baffled - I've tried again but this time I used
> genkernel. However, even the genkerneled kernel can't seem to detect my
> hard drive! This time I was allowed to drop to a shell and the only hd*
> was hda, my cdrom. The thing that's killing me is that the gentoo boot
> cd is obviously able to do it, and I even copied the config from that cd
> over as per the genkernel instructions, still to no avail.

Here is another clue that may be found to be interesting by you ppcers -
when I boot into the live CD and dmesg, hdc (hard drive) is the last
thing to be discovered, and of course happens right after the IDE
interface is discovered. I'm wondering why it takes the boot process so
long to see my IDE controller...

Re: hda/hdc [ In reply to ]
Hello Randy

On Mon, Jan 15, 2007 at 11:37:25AM -0500, Randy Barlow wrote:
> OK - now I'm really baffled - I've tried again but this time I used
> genkernel. However, even the genkerneled kernel can't seem to detect my
> hard drive! This time I was allowed to drop to a shell and the only hd*
> was hda, my cdrom.

Can you please post the kernel output, which you gather using
netconsole, on an http server? I guess your kernel is missing some
option, but I'm not sure which. Did you only check /dev/hd* or also what
dmesg said?

> The thing that's killing me is that the gentoo boot cd is obviously
> able to do it, and I even copied the config from that cd over as per
> the genkernel instructions, still to no avail.

You copied the actually running config from /proc/config.gz?

Greets,
Michael

--
Gentoo Linux developer, http://hansmi.ch/, http://forkbomb.ch/
Re: hda/hdc [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2007-01-15 at 18:57 +0100, Michael Hanselmann wrote:
> Can you please post the kernel output, which you gather using
> netconsole, on an http server? I guess your kernel is missing some
> option, but I'm not sure which. Did you only check /dev/hd* or also what
> dmesg said?

I think I may have found the problem --> CMD646! It turns out that I
had not enabled support for the IDE interface in the kernel. The lspci
output was kind of obscure in helping me with this, but the dmesg of the
live CD gave me the clue! Thanks to Michael and to Nathan for your
help! I am now inside a shiny new ppc environment on my shiny old G3 :)

> You copied the actually running config from /proc/config.gz?

Indeed. Thanks for your help!