Mailing List Archive

Install on a Power5 (p5 550)
Hello all!

I'm new to this world: PowerPC, RISC, 64 bits.
So, it's a newbie doubt...

I'm following this manual
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/2006.0/handbook-ppc64.xml?full=1#book_part1
My question it's about the yaboot and the partitions type.
/dev/sda1: PReP (8MB)
/dev/sda2: swap (1GB)
/dev/sda3: / (30GB)

Questions:
1) What is an PReP partition?
2) How should be my /etc/yaboot.conf like?
Mine was like "Code Listing 6: yaboot.conf for PReP hardware"
default = linux
timeout = 100
image=/boot/kernel-2.6.12-gentoo-r10
label=linux
read-only
root = /dev/sda1
append="root=/dev/sda1"
Is it correct?
Guess not, beacuse after it boots up, crashe and restart.
What am I doing wrong?

If you need more information, please ask. I don't know what to say more :)

Thanks,
Rodrigo.
Re: Install on a Power5 (p5 550) [ In reply to ]
I think root is /dev/sda3.

Re: Install on a Power5 (p5 550) [ In reply to ]
Ovidiu Bivolaru wrote:
> I think root is /dev/sda3.

agreed. most excellent eyes ovidiu, i totally overlooked it the first
time i read through this message. :)

rodrigo, please change the "root" and "append" param values from:

>> root = /dev/sda1
>> append="root=/dev/sda1"

root = /dev/sda3
append="root=/dev/sda3"

and see if that fixes the current hang up.

good luck