Mailing List Archive

problems with PowerBook G4
hello,
I have installed Gentoo PPC (2005.1) on my 800 Mhz Titanium PowerBook
G4 successfully (it boots). I have some problems, however, and I was
wondering if anyone could help me. As it stands, I can not do the
following which I would like:
1) I cannot configure ethernet (on eth0) or airport (on eth1, wifi1,
and wlan1). after running "alias eth0=sungem" and "alias eth1=airport",
"alias wifi1=airport", and "alias wlan1=airport", I still cannot
connect using net.eth0 and net.eth1, etc, config and ifup eth0/ifup
eth1. It says (I am booted into OSX now because I cannot get mail from
Gentoo, so this might be a little off):
ifconfig: eth0: device not found
or something like that. The same goes for eth1. Is there a guide
somewhere that I could read about configuring ethernet and airport
under gentoo?
2) I have a problem with my kernel. When I try to boot off of a kernel
that I complied myself, it always gives " returning 0x01400000 from
prom_init" as an error in the Open Firmware white background, then NO
MORE TEXT is outputted, and it freezes. Apparently, this error is
common with powermac G5's (except with more text and a return to the OF
prompt), but why my old powerbook has it I do not know. to compile the
kernel, I ran
make clean dep modules modules_install vmlinux
dep was not needed. My system says making the vmlinux image worked
fine. however, it does not boot, instead giving the above error. Any
ideas on how I could get it to work?
3) I cannot mount hfs+ filesystems. When I run
mount /dev/hda13 /mnt/share
or
mount -t hfs /dev/hda13 /mnt/share
it complains that it does not know what hfs is. What are the steps for
mounting an hfs+ partition under linux? or should I just switch to UFS?
4) This is a question about Mac-On-Linux. I was wondering how to
install and run it. I have it installed, but when I run what it says to
on the man pages, I get some errors about the display, and I think the
OSX partition (I am really sorry I am so vague, but I forgot it since
running MOL is not as high a priority right now as getting my linux
system configured). It does the same thing when run in an xterm or
Terminal Window (GNOME).
5) How do I configure multiple virtual command lines and switch between
them? I had it working at one point, but it no longer functions. initrc
says all the spawn extra terminal commands, but I cannot switch between
displays using any key commands I know of.

I am pretty sure that most of these errors are due to not having a
properly configured kernel, but there could be others as well.
thanks in advance for any help,
Nicholas
Re: problems with PowerBook G4 [ In reply to ]
Nicholas S-A wrote:
> hello,
> I have installed Gentoo PPC (2005.1) on my 800 Mhz Titanium PowerBook G4
> successfully (it boots). I have some problems, however, and I was
> wondering if anyone could help me. As it stands, I can not do the
> following which I would like:
> 1) I cannot configure ethernet (on eth0) or airport (on eth1, wifi1, and
> wlan1). after running "alias eth0=sungem" and "alias eth1=airport",
> "alias wifi1=airport", and "alias wlan1=airport", I still cannot connect
> using net.eth0 and net.eth1, etc, config and ifup eth0/ifup eth1. It
> says (I am booted into OSX now because I cannot get mail from Gentoo, so
> this might be a little off):
> ifconfig: eth0: device not found
> or something like that. The same goes for eth1. Is there a guide
> somewhere that I could read about configuring ethernet and airport under
> gentoo?

It sounds like you haven't included the modules for airport and your
network card in your kernel. Make sure that they are at least marked
<M>, but I prefer to build them into my kernel (marked by <*>).

> 2) I have a problem with my kernel. When I try to boot off of a kernel
> that I complied myself, it always gives " returning* 0x01400000 from
> prom_init"* as an error in the Open Firmware white background, then NO
> MORE TEXT is outputted, and it freezes. Apparently, this error is common
> with powermac G5's (except with more text and a return to the OF
> prompt), but why my old powerbook has it I do not know. to compile the
> kernel, I ran
> make clean dep modules modules_install vmlinux
> dep was not needed. My system says making the vmlinux image worked fine.
> however, it does not boot, instead giving the above error. Any ideas on
> how I could get it to work?

You haven't compiled in a framebuffer device. On that machine you need
to have RadeonFB compiled into your kernel.

> 3) I cannot mount hfs+ filesystems. When I run
> mount /dev/hda13 /mnt/share
> or
> mount -t hfs /dev/hda13 /mnt/share
> it complains that it does not know what hfs is. What are the steps for
> mounting an hfs+ partition under linux? or should I just switch to UFS?

You'll need to have support for HFS+ compiled into your kernel. Make
sure that it is compiled in. For HFS+ filesystems, the type is hfsplus,
not hfs.

> 4) This is a question about Mac-On-Linux. I was wondering how to install
> and run it. I have it installed, but when I run what it says to on the
> man pages, I get some errors about the display, and I think the OSX
> partition (I am really sorry I am so vague, but I forgot it since
> running MOL is not as high a priority right now as getting my linux
> system configured). It does the same thing when run in an xterm or
> Terminal Window (GNOME).

Yeah, I'll need some more information to help you with this.

> 5) How do I configure multiple virtual command lines and switch between
> them? I had it working at one point, but it no longer functions. initrc
> says all the spawn extra terminal commands, but I cannot switch between
> displays using any key commands I know of.

It should be working, as you said initrc is spawning the terminals. On
my powerbook, I press Alt + F# to switch the terminals, but if you're
not running pbbuttonsd, you'll need to press fn + Alt + F#.

Good luck!
-Joe
Re: problems with PowerBook G4 [ In reply to ]
Thank you so much! That worked to get over the prom_init.
unfortunately, I still cannot boot. It gets a kernel panic wand
outputs:
VFS: unable to open root "/dev/hda11" or unknown-block(0,0)
add root= with correct root device to boot line
kernel panic - cannot open root filesystem
reboot in 180 seconds...
I used "/dev/hda9" (my boot partition), "/dev/ram0", "hd:11", etc in
various combinations as kernel options for root= and real_root= . with
root=/dev/ram0 and real_root=/dev/hda11, it said unknown-block(1,0)
instead. Is there an easy fix for this? should I be using OF or Linux
HD naming? any other ideas?
thank you so much again,
Nick

Re: problems with PowerBook G4 [ In reply to ]
Nicholas S-A wrote:
> Thank you so much! That worked to get over the prom_init. unfortunately,
> I still cannot boot. It gets a kernel panic wand outputs:
> VFS: unable to open root "/dev/hda11" or unknown-block(0,0)
> add root= with correct root device to boot line
> kernel panic - cannot open root filesystem
> reboot in 180 seconds...

Sounds like you didn't include one or all of the following:
IDE/ATA Disk support
IDE/ATA Driver
Mac Partition Support

Make sure those are in your kernel and try again.

-Joe
Re: problems with PowerBook G4 [ In reply to ]
It sounds like to me that you don't have the proper filesystem drivers
built into your kernel.

What filesystem for linux are you using? It needs to be built as <*>,
not <M>.

You should be using Linux naming for your hardrive in your yaboot.conf.

Please post the output from "mac-fdisk -l /dev/hda" (minus the quotes
please).

Also post your /etc/yaboot.conf so we can see if that is setup
correctly.

Regards,
Draeven

Re: problems with PowerBook G4 [ In reply to ]
On Sep 20, 2005, at 8:40 PM, Nicholas S-A wrote:
> 1) I cannot configure ethernet (on eth0) or airport (on eth1,
> wifi1, and wlan1). after running "alias eth0=sungem" and "alias
> eth1=airport", "alias wifi1=airport", and "alias wlan1=airport", I
> still cannot connect using net.eth0 and net.eth1, etc, config and
> ifup eth0/ifup eth1. It says (I am booted into OSX now because I
> cannot get mail from Gentoo, so this might be a little off):
> ifconfig: eth0: device not found
> or something like that. The same goes for eth1. Is there a guide
> somewhere that I could read about configuring ethernet and airport
> under gentoo?

Mac OS X isn't Linux, it's BSD. Thus, there are a few changes as far
as networking is concerned. eth* becomes en* and sit* becomes stf*
(IPv6-over-IPv4); those are the only ones I can come up with off the
top of my head. So under OS X, you'll need to use "ifconfig en0" to
view your first network device. Or just use "ifconfig -a" to view
all of your interfaces.
--
Colin
Re: problems with PowerBook G4 [ In reply to ]
Thank you so much. I now works great! I have a few problems (GNOME is
failing, PCMCIA does not support CompactFlash memory because memory_cs
does not exist) that are not a very big deal. However, my ethernet does
not work, which means I cannot update my system and I have to reboot
into OSX before I can email. eth0 autostarts, but eth1 does not (I just
start it up). they both run, reporting activity. I can ping my router
successfully. However, when I try
ping www.google.com
it says
connect: network error (or something like that)
It is not a problem with my internet connection because that works fine
for OSX and other computers. Any ideas?
thanks so much
nick

Re: problems with PowerBook G4 [ In reply to ]
The output is actually this error from 'man connect':
[ENETUNREACH] The network isn't reachable from this host.
I don't understand what the problem is, because my airport is connected
to the internet and selected as the router (in linux), so it should
automatically route everything to where it should go, right?
nick

Re: problems with PowerBook G4 [ In reply to ]
Nicholas S-A <nova@macintoshclub.com> wrote:
> The output is actually this error from 'man connect':
> [ENETUNREACH] The network isn't reachable from this host.

Since you can reach your router: have you checked *which* interface
reaches the router?
What's the output of route -n?

Sorry, just a wild guess.
Matti
Re: problems with PowerBook G4 [ In reply to ]
Hello, I'm Sik and I want to ask you some questions:

I have a PbG4 867MHz 12" (with a nvidia) and I can't have running the
airport and MOL.
Your TI-Book have a radeon or a nvidia? Because I only can take 8bits of
color with MOL and I can see any thing.

The second one is about the airport, it's the old one 11Mbps?

Re: problems with PowerBook G4 [ In reply to ]
Yes, it turns out that is the problem! The router somehow got
misconfigured as 0.0.0.0 instead of 10.0.1.1.
here is ifconfig:
bond0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:00:00:00:00:00
BROADCAST MASTER MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

dummy0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 86:DB:59:06:1D:3C
BROADCAST NOARP MTU:1500 Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:03:93:80:24:F2
inet addr:10.0.1.200 Bcast:10.255.255.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:1374 (1.3 Kb) TX bytes:1174 (1.1 Kb)
Interrupt:41 Base address:0x7400

eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:30:65:16:B7:DD
inet addr:10.0.1.12 Bcast:10.255.255.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:1910 (1.8 Kb) TX bytes:3002 (2.9 Kb)
Interrupt:57

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:280 (280.0 b) TX bytes:280 (280.0 b)

and route -n:
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags MSS Window
irtt Iface
10.0.1.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0
0 eth0
10.0.1.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0
0 eth1
loopback localhost 255.0.0.0 UG 0 0
0 lo

Is the right command to use 10.0.1.1 as a router (for both eth1 and
eth0) 'route add default gw 10.0.1.1'? Or is it something else? That is
what I got from manning route, but I don't what to mess anything up by
having conflicting IP addresses.
thanks
nick

Re: problems with PowerBook G4 [ In reply to ]
Nicholas S-A <nova@macintoshclub.com> wrote:
> Yes, it turns out that is the problem! The router somehow got misconfigured as 0.0.0.0 instead of 10.0.1.1.
> here is ifconfig:
[config eth0,eth1,lo,bond0,dummy0]

They seem to be ok.

> and route -n:
> Kernel IP routing table
> Destination Gateway Genmask Flags MSS Window irtt Iface
> 10.0.1.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
> 10.0.1.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth1
> loopback localhost 255.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 lo

This is not ok. But you mention correctly that you have to do:
route add default gw 10.0.1.1

Not sure if you have to
route add default gw 10.0.1.1 dev eth0
route add default gw 10.0.1.1 dev eth1
though.

Matti
Re: problems with PowerBook G4 [ In reply to ]
> Hello, I'm Sik and I want to ask you some questions:
>
> I have a PbG4 867MHz 12" (with a nvidia) and I can't have running the
> airport and MOL.
> Your TI-Book have a radeon or a nvidia? Because I only can take 8bits of
> color with MOL and I can see any thing.
>
> The second one is about the airport, it's the old one 11Mbps?
1) it is a radeon (mobility?) either 7000 or 9200 (I forget) with 32 MB of
VRAM. I got mol to work by reemerging it with the correct USE-flags set,
then running molvconfig. MOL works at either 256(8bit) or thousands(16bit)
of colors, but not millions.
2)Yes, it is the original airport, not extreme. There is a complicated
precedure involving MOL that lets you use an extreme under linux that is
detailed on the gentoo forums.
nick