Mailing List Archive

Kernel Premption (revisited)
I don't know if this is valid, but it relates to an earlier discussion.
I synced my portage 3 days ago. Did a sudo emerge -fDN world (to get
all the source code needed) and then did just sudo emerge -DN yesterday
evening. I got up to find my computer frozen, (and the screen blanked)
rebooted it and started the emerge -DN again. Again it froze on
tar-1.15.1 (I think that's the version) I rebooted and recompiled my
gentoo kernel without preemption, and did the emerge -DN again after
rebooting with the new kernel and that went fine.

I had PreEmption enabled and also SMP, since I do have a Dual-Processor
machine, now does this mean that the premption doesn't perform well on
SMP either or what? And is this just in compiling? I never had a
problem with emerging snes9x or totem or libxine, and I think two other
packages, so could someone explain this to me?

Since I do run a Desktop machine, and not a number cruncher or anything
like that, can I compile a kernel with preemption for normal use, and
one without for emerging and have them use the same /lib/modules? As
far as I understand it the modules are loaded depending on the output of
uname, and as long as they are both off the same kernel tree with the
same, or no, local version, it should work. Am I correct in this?

--Mike S