Mailing List Archive

A couple ppc-macos questions
I've got Portage running on Tiger.2 on a PowerBook G3 (Lombard) right
now, and it's working fine. But there are a few questions I'd like
to have answered.

1. Are we supposed to set USE flags for this platform? The official
guide didn't mention it, but I noticed some packages still had USE
options (saw this with emerge -v), so I've used some both in my
make.conf and at the command line. Is this OK?

2. There are a lot of masked packages, but I've noticed that stuff
is either masked with ~ppc or missing, and nothing with ~ppc-macos.
Is this a bug in Portage, or should I be using ~ppc to install masked
packages?

3. Come to think of it, is there a way to find out why something is
masked?

4. CURL sucks. If the server returns a 404, that is saved into the
file, which spells disaster for 125 MB downloads over dial-up
(NeoOffice/J, not Gentoo but I used CURL). I emerged wget (USE="ipv6
ssl"); what are the commands needed in make.conf to use wget instead
of CURL?

5. The CFLAG march doesn't seem to work on PPC. I have no problem
using mcpu instead, but what's the reason for gcc not marching on PPC?

6. Is there a gentoo-ppc-macos-user list, or is this it? (I
probably should have asked this one first!)
--
Colin
Re: A couple ppc-macos questions [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 11:13:46PM -0400, Colin wrote:
> I've got Portage running on Tiger.2 on a PowerBook G3 (Lombard) right
> now, and it's working fine. But there are a few questions I'd like
> to have answered.
>
> 1. Are we supposed to set USE flags for this platform? The official
> guide didn't mention it, but I noticed some packages still had USE
> options (saw this with emerge -v), so I've used some both in my
> make.conf and at the command line. Is this OK?
>
> 2. There are a lot of masked packages, but I've noticed that stuff
> is either masked with ~ppc or missing, and nothing with ~ppc-macos.
> Is this a bug in Portage, or should I be using ~ppc to install masked
> packages?

~ppc implies ppc-linux... It has nothing to do with MacOS...
A package without keywords means that it has not been tested or not
been ported. You could always add the keyword and test yourself.

> 3. Come to think of it, is there a way to find out why something is
> masked?
>
> 4. CURL sucks. If the server returns a 404, that is saved into the
> file, which spells disaster for 125 MB downloads over dial-up
> (NeoOffice/J, not Gentoo but I used CURL). I emerged wget (USE="ipv6
> ssl"); what are the commands needed in make.conf to use wget instead
> of CURL?
>
> 5. The CFLAG march doesn't seem to work on PPC. I have no problem
> using mcpu instead, but what's the reason for gcc not marching on PPC?
>
> 6. Is there a gentoo-ppc-macos-user list, or is this it? (I
> probably should have asked this one first!)
> --
> Colin

gentoo-osx@gentoo.org
I think.