TiBook
Hi Folks,

I'm new to Gentoo and new to the PPC-plattform (at least with linux on
it) so please forgive me if I may ask some too stupid questions for this
list. But I've used other derivates of Linux for some years on x86.

Though the first two questions I have are not trivial:

I installed Gentoo on my Titanium Powerbook 1000 and with some help from
#gentoo-ppc i get everything working except two things

#1: With emerged kernel-sources 2.6.12-r3 I can't get the pb to
sleep,with 2.6.10-r6 it falls to sleep if I close the display. (Both w/
and w/o AC.)
I don't find the differences in my kernel-config that could cause this, I
reemerged pmud, even tried pmud from CVS (in separate folder, to can
safely clean it away).
Either pmud can't be started and tells:
----------------------------
Jul 12 19:45:30 amelia pmud[6102]: pmud [treshold = 420, margin
= 15] started
Jul 12 19:45:30 amelia pmud[6102]: fcntl(F_SETFL)
Jul 12 19:45:30 amelia pmud[6102]: daemon stopped (fcntl(F_SETFL))
----------------------------
Or when I get started everytime I close the display the
syslog shows the following message:
----------------------------
Jul 12 19:47:26 amelia pbbuttonsd: INFO: Script
'/etc/power/pmcs-pbbuttonsd cover-close ac close' launched and exited
normally
Jul 12 19:47:26 amelia pmud[6136]: running /etc/power/pwrctl
lid-closed ac
Jul 12 19:47:26 amelia pwrctl:
calling /etc/power/pwrctl-local lid-closed ac Jul
12 19:47:26 amelia pwrctl-local: lid-closed ac Jul
12 19:47:26 amelia pwrctl: continuing with main
Jul 12 19:47:26 amelia pmud[6136]: lid closed: request sleep
Jul 12 19:47:26 amelia pmud[6136]: running /etc/power/pwrctl sleep ac Jul
12 19:47:26 amelia pwrctl: calling /etc/power/pwrctl-local sleep ac Jul
12 19:47:26 amelia pmud[6136]: going to sleep
Jul 12 19:47:26 amelia
pmud[6136]: cannot put system to sleep! (Function not implemented)
Jul 12 19:47:26 amelia Sleep mode not supported on this machine
Jul 12 19:47:26 amelia pwrctl-local: sleep ac
Jul 12 19:47:26 amelia pwrctl: continuing with main
Jul 12 19:47:26 amelia pmud[6136]: running /etc/power/pwrctl wakeup ac
and so on...until i open the display again
------------------------------
Has anybody else seen this? Or is it a specific to me? Maybe there's
still a missconfiguration in the kernel, I'll append my config to this
mail.

#2: The other thing is, that EDID doesn't seem to work on this machine, I
got Xorg working by setting all the values for resolution and so
on directly in the xorg.conf, X works fine now, but I still can't use
radeonfb, because booting with radeonfb results in a very, very ugly
colorfull screen, but with many good will I can see something that looks
a bit like a shell :-/
So I have to start with open firmware framebuffer (video=ofonly), that
works partly, shows the login shell correct, let me run startx, but after
exiting X the screen is nearly completely black, with a small a bit
lighter stripe in the under part of the screen.
Backlight dimming also doesn't work because of that, 3d-performance is
quite bad...
I tried to start with "video=radeonfb:1280x854@16" and some similar ones
but either i did this wrong or it just didn't work for me.
The only way I see now is to hardcode the needed settings into radeonfb.c
from kernel and compile the settings in, that should work, but I don't
know the exact values and I'm not sure where best to set it, but that is
the smaller problem, the missing values are the bigger one.

I hope this is the right place to ask this sort of questions and someone
could give me a hint,

best regards,

Friedrich