Sweet, I found a Lombard on eBay for about $100. Trouble is, it's the
333 MHz motherboard without the hardware DVD decoder. Do I need the
hardware DVD decoder to watch movies under OS X and Gentoo, or will a
DVD player application perform its own software decoding? (The PC Card
decoder isn't an option, that's for my wireless card, though I'm up to a
motherboard swap.)

--
Colin

Re: Lombard DVD decoder software [ In reply to ]
I've used Mplayer/Ogle and to a lesser extent Xine for playing DVDs on a
333Mhz iMac w/o hardware decoding and it works okay (it's not perfect and
can stutter a little) so you should be okay with software decoding.

I had to install Panther on the machine so now I'm using VLC for DVD
playback, but I can't comment on its speed in Gentoo. VLC plays perfectly
In Mac OS X, you probably won't get the Apple DVD Player to run though (I
don't know what graphics you have in the Lombard...)

All of those are in Portage.

Joshua King

Re: Lombard DVD decoder software [ In reply to ]
Joshua King wrote:

>I've used Mplayer/Ogle and to a lesser extent Xine for playing DVDs on a
>333Mhz iMac w/o hardware decoding and it works okay (it's not perfect and
>can stutter a little) so you should be okay with software decoding.
>
>I had to install Panther on the machine so now I'm using VLC for DVD
>playback, but I can't comment on its speed in Gentoo. VLC plays perfectly
>In Mac OS X, you probably won't get the Apple DVD Player to run though (I
>don't know what graphics you have in the Lombard...)

The Lombards have an ATI video system with 8 MB of VRAM. It's not
supported by OS X's Quartz Extreme graphics subsystem (neither is the
hardware DVD decoder, anyway, so I read) and it's non-upgradable, as is
the case with most laptops.

--
Colin

Re: Lombard DVD decoder software [ In reply to ]
On 2/7/05 8:26 AM, "Colin" <signofzeta@gmail.com> wrote:

> The Lombards have an ATI video system with 8 MB of VRAM.

The iMac I have has an ATI Mach64 with 6MB (I think, or less) VRAM, so I'd
say it's probably fairly similar then.

Joshua