lg steph.

--
http://www.zendojobasel.ch/livecam.html
Re: convert ext3 -> hfs+ [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2005-04-29 at 12:11 +0200, stephan ulbing wrote:
> does anybody know, how do i convert a etx3-partition into a hfs+.
> are there some tools for linux or do i have to do it under macosx?

I don't think you can do that. You will have to backup all data,
reformat the partition as hfs+, and then restore the data from your
backups.

//David Holm
Re: convert ext3 -> hfs+ [ In reply to ]
Am Freitag, 29. April 2005 14:02 schrieb David Holm:
> I don't think you can do that. You will have to backup all data,
> reformat the partition as hfs+, and then restore the data from your
> backups.

i didnt fount a linux-tool to format a partition as hfs+

lg steph.
Re: convert ext3 -> hfs+ [ In reply to ]
Linux cannot handle HFS+ in any way. I'm not even sure that HFS+ is
'open' to other types of OS to try to use, but I could be wrong it's
only a partition type. You can view ext2 (I don't know about ext3) in
MacOSX by getting the ext2fs tool
<http://e2fsprogs.sourceforge.net/ext2.html>. This will show up in
System Preferences and allow you to 'see' the contents of the
drive/partition.

There again, I'm not a Gentoo or even a Linux user. My installation
failed, and corrupted my partition map, and led to the loss of my OS X
partition and 206 applications.

Jon

RE: convert ext3 -> hfs+ [ In reply to ]
That's a lot of apps!

Matt

Re: convert ext3 -> hfs+ [ In reply to ]
Am Freitag, 29. April 2005 18:52 schrieb Jon Lee:
> Linux cannot handle HFS+ in any way. I'm not even sure that HFS+ is
> 'open' to other types of OS to try to use, but I could be wrong it's
> only a partition type. You can view ext2 (I don't know about ext3) in
> MacOSX by getting the ext2fs tool
> <http://e2fsprogs.sourceforge.net/ext2.html>. This will show up in
> System Preferences and allow you to 'see' the contents of the
> drive/partition.

so, i need another hfs+partition to make an image of my osx-system. but i am
not familiar enough with osx, to convert (delete,create) a etx3 to hfs+. any
hints?

lg steph.
Re: convert ext3 -> hfs+ [ In reply to ]
I was misleading. I meant it as a caveat. Mostly they were recoverable
by installing OS X again cleanly on a second hard drive. Then I could
see the contents of the mounted first hard drive and copy them over the
to bootable second hard drive. After this was possible and it was
stable to use it for more than a month I wiped the first drive, then
ported back and am now seeing if it's stable so I can wipe the second
hard drive. Basically I'm looking at this as practice for a clean Tiger
installation when the time comes and keeping all my documents and
projects as well as my extensive software library.

Jon
Re: convert ext3 -> hfs+ [ In reply to ]
> Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] convert ext3 -> hfs+
> From:
> Jon Lee <leejadsl@eircom.net>
> Date:
> Fri, 29 Apr 2005 17:52:38 +0100
> To:
> gentoo-ppc-user@lists.gentoo.org
>
> Linux cannot handle HFS+ in any way. I'm not even sure that HFS+ is 'open' to other types of OS to try to use, but I could be wrong it's only a partition type. You can view ext2 (I don't know about ext3) in MacOSX by getting the ext2fs tool. This will show up in System Preferences and allow you to 'see' the contents of the drive/partition.

This isn't true at all. There is a set of utilities, I believe called
hpxxx, such as hpmount, hpcd etcetera. I've used it. Do not use it on
plain HFS partitions though, you will be sorry.

> There again, I'm not a Gentoo or even a Linux user. My installation failed, and corrupted my partition map, and led to the loss of my OS X partition and 206 applications.

Sorry about your data, but Linux, like C, will give you plenty of rope.
Controlling the rope and avoiding hanging yourself is the tricky part :)

Speaking of hanging yourself, I am still trying to get Gentoo installed
on an old iBook I have. I cannot boot from CD (the drive is too old,
won't read CDR/CDRWs). I have tried putting the kernel, ramdisk,
yaboot, and yaboot.conf on an HFS partition, and booting from OFW. This
works, but there is no way to get to the gcloop file. The installer
only looks for /dev/cdrom or hdc. I have a firewire CDRW that I could
use to install from, or I could put the file on a partition on the hard
disk. To use the firewire drive the kernel needs to be able to load the
firewire modules, then boot from /dev/scd0 instead of hdc.
Any ideas?
I guess the next step is tearing into the ramdisk image and modifying it
to match my system. It will be a lot of work though. Lots of fail,
reboot, change, reboot, fail, etcetera...
Thanks, Lincr

Re: convert ext3 -> hfs+ [ In reply to ]
On 5/3/05, lincr <lrutledge@realemail.net> wrote:
> > Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] convert ext3 -> hfs+
> > From:
> > Jon Lee <leejadsl@eircom.net>
> > Date:
> > Fri, 29 Apr 2005 17:52:38 +0100
> > To:
> > gentoo-ppc-user@lists.gentoo.org
> >
> > Linux cannot handle HFS+ in any way. I'm not even sure that HFS+ is 'open' to other types of OS to try to use, but I could be wrong it's only a partition type. You can view ext2 (I don't know about ext3) in MacOSX by getting the ext2fs tool. This will show up in System Preferences and allow you to 'see' the contents of the drive/partition.

Who told you Linux couldn't handle HFS+? Have you heard of MOL? Or
have you tried to mount an OS X partition on Linux? (it works).

> > There again, I'm not a Gentoo or even a Linux user. My installation failed, and corrupted my partition map, and led to the loss of my OS X partition and 206 applications.

Thats what backups are for. If you aren't used to the command line,
you shouldn't be trying to install Gentoo. Or at least try to use one
of the few graphical or command line installer programs for Gentoo.

--
Man Wit Da Plan.

Re: convert ext3 -> hfs+ [ In reply to ]

>If you aren't used to the command line, you shouldn't be trying to install Gentoo. Or at least try to use one of the few graphical or command line installer programs for Gentoo.

That's crap. I recommend Gentoo to every newb I meet that is interested
in trying Linux and most of them get it just fine with little help and
learn a ton in the process.

Let's leave the elistist attitude for the Slackware newbs ;~)
jk

-Sean

Re: convert ext3 -> hfs+ [ In reply to ]
Sean Sullivan wrote:

>> If you aren't used to the command line, you shouldn't be trying to
>> install Gentoo. Or at least try to use one of the few graphical or
>> command line installer programs for Gentoo.
>>

> That's crap. I recommend Gentoo to every newb I meet that is
> interested in trying Linux and most of them get it just fine with
> little help and learn a ton in the process.
>
> Let's leave the elistist attitude for the Slackware newbs ;~)
> jk
>
> -Sean

I agree and know that this is off topic but I mean why does everyone who
uses gentoo or slackware take this whole elitist higher ground. I did my
first instal of gentoo from stage 1 while stoned out of my mind and it
went fine without a hitch. Everyone should be more excited to help
people than scoff at them and claim to be better. The only reason you
know what you do is because of information form other people, be that
help on forums, documentation, whathave you.
-Matt
Re: convert ext3 -> hfs+ [ In reply to ]
<offTopic>

I fail to see how you can be elitist about Slackware. A poorly trained
monkey could handle the install, and after that it doesn't take a power
user to maintain a stable system.

I'd like to give an opinion on Gentoo but I've never installed it. It
just won't go into my G5 at all. So I've given up on it. I should
probably unsubscribe from this list. The ultimate problem was
yaboot-static never worked, and I got a lot of advice from a lot of
different resources including those who wrote the Gentoo handbook, this
mailing list, Gentoo PPC IRC chat rooms, Gentoo users I know personally,
and different forums. It's good to help people because everyone needs
help again in the future. Probably while I'm still on this list, and
I'm sorry I got it wrong before about Gentoo/Linux and HFS+ support.
Sometimes well intended help can be a bad thing too.

</offTopic>
Re: convert ext3 -> hfs+ [ In reply to ]
Matthew FitzPatrick wrote:

> Sean Sullivan wrote:
>

>>> If you aren't used to the command line, you shouldn't be trying to
>>> install Gentoo. Or at least try to use one of the few graphical or
>>> command line installer programs for Gentoo.
>>>

>> That's crap. I recommend Gentoo to every newb I meet that is
>> interested in trying Linux and most of them get it just fine with
>> little help and learn a ton in the process.
>>
>> Let's leave the elistist attitude for the Slackware newbs ;~)
>> jk
>>
>> -Sean
>>
> I agree and know that this is off topic but I mean why does everyone
> who uses gentoo or slackware take this whole elitist higher ground. I
> did my first instal of gentoo from stage 1 while stoned out of my mind
> and it went fine without a hitch. Everyone should be more excited to
> help people than scoff at them and claim to be better.

> "The only reason you know what you do is because of information form
> other people, be that help on forums, documentation, whathave you. "
> -Matt

Well said.

-Sean