can create a HFS+ partition at the end of my disk but will the OSX
install leave my linux partitions alone ?

Another question. Currently pressing the power button causes the ibook
to sleep. I also want to be able to shutdown using the power button.
How would I achieve that ?

praveen
--
http://pc.freeshell.org

Re: Installing OSX after gentoo [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 02:28:25PM +0530, Praveen C wrote:
> Hi
> I have successfully installed gentoo on my ibook g4. I now want to
> install OSX (I may have to go to Apple for some service). Is it
> possible to install OSX without disturbing my linux installation ? I
> can create a HFS+ partition at the end of my disk but will the OSX
> install leave my linux partitions alone ?

Note you will need to create the HFS+ partition (and I think create the
filesystem on it *in Linux*). This is because the OS X installer seems
to see the disk as empty if there are no HFS+ partitions existing and it
will only suggest to format the whole disk... If your HFS+ partition is
already present it will see it and the installing will be fine.

Note: You will have to re-install your bootloader (ex: yaboot - by
running ybin) after OS X installation - have your Gentoo boot disk ready.

> Another question. Currently pressing the power button causes the ibook
> to sleep. I also want to be able to shutdown using the power button.
> How would I achieve that ?

If it goes to sleep, this is because you have it configured that way
(probably with the gtkpbbuttons package). Unconfigure its sleep
function by modifying pbbuttons config file.

I assume you want to run:
shutdown -h now
for your shutdown as the power button has the rough shutdown (turns off
power) already implemented in hardware. In that case, you will have to
configure that button to run that command but not sure how to do it, I
would look in two places:
1) Is it possible to replace ctrl-alt-del with that button - might need
some kernel hacking or init hacking - init runs the command (check
/etc/inittab) but I assume the kernel sends some message to init unless
init reads all keys pressed?
2) Use some software package that can assign commands to keys.

David

---

David BĂ©langer
Web page: http://www.cs.mcgill.ca/~dbelan2/