Mailing List Archive

Mac OSX/Gentoo dual boot ?
I am a Gentoo and PPC Newbie. I have been running Debian on x86 machines
for several years.

I have an M5343 PowerBook I picked up on eBay.
It came with Mac OS X installed on a 30GB HD, the HD is mostly empty.
It did not come with OS X CD's.

I have installed Gentoo on a 15GB HD I had lying arround.

To move between Mac OS X and Gentoo I have to swap HD's

I am looking to try to get Gentoo and OS X onto the 30GB HD.

I know I can just backup the Linux files onto another system and copy
them back to a new partition once I have one ready.

Is it possible to do the same with an OS X partition ?
Can I backup an OS X hfs partition to another hfs partition under Linux
without loosing any information ?

Can I resize an OS X hfs partition ? Can I do it under Linux ?

If I backup the OS X hfs partition to another hfs partition somewhere,
and then later copy it back to a smaller partition. do I need to do
anything secial - besides properly setting up yaboot.conf to make the
new hfs partiton bootable ?

I know all about how to do all of the above for x86's and NTFS, and all
the tricks. I bought the PowerBook to learn more about Mac's.l So I
guess this is learning.

Re: Mac OSX/Gentoo dual boot ? [ In reply to ]
> I know I can just backup the Linux files onto another system and copy
> them back to a new partition once I have one ready.
>
> Is it possible to do the same with an OS X partition ?
> Can I backup an OS X hfs partition to another hfs partition under Linux
> without loosing any information ?

CarbonCopyCloner is awesome. If you use it with BootCD, you can store
your OSX data in a disk image (.dmg file), on a HD of any partition
type, then restore it to your HFS partition later. BootCD will be
extra helpfull since you don't have OSX installer CDs. :-)

http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html -- CCC.
http://www.charlessoft.com/ -- bootcd

> Can I resize an OS X hfs partition ? Can I do it under Linux ?

I've heard that it is *possible*, but haven't ever tried it myself. It
would have to be done under linux with parted(? -- I think).

Your best bet is:

1) Create bootCD with CCC and Disk Utility
2) Create backup of OSX with CCC
3) Boot the BootCD and use OSXs partitioner to create two partitions,
OSX, and freespace.
4) Restore OSX backup onto created OSX partition
5) Boot linux installer and split free space and install as normal.

Good luck!

--
Michael Moore