Mailing List Archive

Install Gentoo on headless X5 ?
Hi folks,

I have a set of X5 servers. They are all headless, i.e. no monitors and
input devices.

Is there a way to install Gentoo on them ?

Thanks.

Andy
Re: Install Gentoo on headless X5 ? [ In reply to ]
Andy Tsai (andysuper@gmail.com) scribbled:
> I have a set of X5 servers. They are all headless, i.e. no monitors and
> input devices.
>
> Is there a way to install Gentoo on them ?

The only way I know is to hook a monitor and keyboard up, boot, and
type:

# passwd (set root passwd)

# /etc/init.d/sshd start

#ifconfig

On the last step, make sure the card has an IP, then ssh in. Move
monitor and keyboard to next unit, repeat.

Sorry I don't have a better solution, I'm not aware of a gentoo CD that
boots up with a default (unscrambled) password and sshd running.

Knoppix may auto start sshd with a default password. Then you could use
it as the host to chroot into the gentoo disk. Tricky, but I've done it
with a Redhat install before (chroot and install, not ssh'd in though).

Do a google on "Gentoo Documentation" and 'Alternate installation'

hth,

Cooper.
Re: Install Gentoo on headless X5 ? [ In reply to ]
> > I have a set of X5 servers. They are all headless, i.e. no monitors and
> > input devices.
> >
> > Is there a way to install Gentoo on them ?
>
> The only way I know is to hook a monitor and keyboard up, boot, and
> type:
>
> # passwd (set root passwd)
>
> # /etc/init.d/sshd start
>
> #ifconfig
>
> On the last step, make sure the card has an IP, then ssh in. Move
> monitor and keyboard to next unit, repeat.
>
> Sorry I don't have a better solution, I'm not aware of a gentoo CD that
> boots up with a default (unscrambled) password and sshd running.

You can actually just do that with no monitor -- assuming the computer
is already set to boot from CD. I did it before. Insert CD, wait for
it to stop thinking (so you know booting is done), then do the
password/sshd thing. You would still need a keyboard though. :-(

What do they have on them now? If there's two disks, and a friendly
OS, could you untar a gentoo-stage*.tar.gz and chroot, then reboot?

--
Michael Moore