Mailing List Archive

no eth0 and cannot run mkofboot
I got my gentoo system installed on my 800MHz quicksilver powermac. It
rebooted just fine, but it cannot find it's ethernet device.

I build the MACE controller into the kernel, so I thought it would be all set.

So, on my newly booted system, I went to /usr/src/linux and did a make
menuconfig and I changed the built-in ethernet controllers to modules so that
I could try to see if they would load and maybe get more debugging info.

I rebuilt the kernel and moved it into place, but when I run mkofboot, it
cannot get the open firmware address of my devices because sysfs is missing.

I also got an error on startup that syslog-ng was not present (I removed it as
per the instructions in teh handbook so that I could put the preferred logger
in place). I removed what it said and metalog claims to be running, but dmesg
has only error message and /var/log/messages is empty.

So my questions:

What device drivers for ethernet should I include for a quicksilver 800MHz and
is there something I specifically have to do to enable it?

Why is sysfs missing?

What did I miss that my system is still trying to run syslog-ng and why isn't
metalog logging anything?

Thanks!

--
-M

There are 10 kinds of people in this world:
Those who can count in binary and those who cannot.

Re: no eth0 and cannot run mkofboot [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 16:29:27 -0400, Michael George <george@mutualdata.com> wrote:
> I got my gentoo system installed on my 800MHz quicksilver powermac. It
> rebooted just fine, but it cannot find it's ethernet device.
>
> I build the MACE controller into the kernel, so I thought it would be all set.
>
> So, on my newly booted system, I went to /usr/src/linux and did a make
> menuconfig and I changed the built-in ethernet controllers to modules so that
> I could try to see if they would load and maybe get more debugging info.
>
> I rebuilt the kernel and moved it into place, but when I run mkofboot, it
> cannot get the open firmware address of my devices because sysfs is missing.
>
> I also got an error on startup that syslog-ng was not present (I removed it as
> per the instructions in teh handbook so that I could put the preferred logger
> in place). I removed what it said and metalog claims to be running, but dmesg
> has only error message and /var/log/messages is empty.
>
> So my questions:
>
> What device drivers for ethernet should I include for a quicksilver 800MHz and
> is there something I specifically have to do to enable it?

Try running lspci or "cat /proc/pci | more" and look for anything that
looks ethernet-y

> Why is sysfs missing?
>
> What did I miss that my system is still trying to run syslog-ng and why isn't
> metalog logging anything?

Did you update the rc scripts?
#rc-update del syslog-ng
#rc-update add metalog default

Re: no eth0 and cannot run mkofboot [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 04:11:05PM -0700, stuporglue wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 16:29:27 -0400, Michael George <george@mutualdata.com> wrote:
> > What device drivers for ethernet should I include for a quicksilver 800MHz and
> > is there something I specifically have to do to enable it?
>
> Try running lspci or "cat /proc/pci | more" and look for anything that
> looks ethernet-y

I have

UniNorth (the PCI host bridges) * 3
ATI Radeon (video)
Two video controllers (my Aurora Pipe)
Class ff00 KeyLargo Mac I/O (??)
USB Controller KeyLargo USB (obviously the USB controller) * 2
Class ffff Lucent Microelectronics (internal modem?)
Class ffff UniNorth GMAC (???)

I don't see the ethernet device, but I know it was there when I was running
booted from the CD...

> > Why is sysfs missing?
> >
> > What did I miss that my system is still trying to run syslog-ng and why isn't
> > metalog logging anything?
>
> Did you update the rc scripts?
> #rc-update del syslog-ng
> #rc-update add metalog default

I did do the add, but apparently I had not done the del. We'll see if that
helps.

Any clues on the sysfs issue?

Thanks for your direction!

Re: no eth0 and cannot run mkofboot [ In reply to ]
Hi.

At 20:23 -0400 on 2004-9-8 Michael George wrote:

> Class ffff UniNorth GMAC (???)

That's the one. :-) It seems to be present in most newer Apple
machines. The driver that works with the thing is sungem (set
CONFIG_SUNGEM to be built into the kernel or as module as you feel
like).

> > > Why is sysfs missing?

You may want to check that CONFIG_SYSFS is set (honestly I don't know
its exact location but it is there somewhere--as a matter of fact I
thought that sysfs is always set but since there is an option for it I
guess this is not quite the case).

--
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.

Re: no eth0 and cannot run mkofboot [ In reply to ]
At 21:56 -0400 on 2004-9-8 Stefan Bruda wrote:

> You may want to check that CONFIG_SYSFS is set (honestly I don't
> know its exact location but it is there somewhere--as a matter of
> fact I thought that sysfs is always set but since there is an
> option for it I guess this is not quite the case).

Hrm, it *is* where I expected it (File systems -> Pseudo filesystems)
in .config, but I do not have a menu entry for the thing (kernel
2.6.7-gentoo-r14) so I guess I was right saying that it should be set
automatically. Beats me why it is not so in your case, I am not sure
how to fix this (maybe by editing .config manually?--yes, I know this
is ugly, ugly, ugly).

Stefan

Re: no eth0 and cannot run mkofboot [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 09:56:30PM -0400, Stefan Bruda wrote:
> At 20:23 -0400 on 2004-9-8 Michael George wrote:
> >
> > Class ffff UniNorth GMAC (???)
>
> That's the one. :-) It seems to be present in most newer Apple
> machines. The driver that works with the thing is sungem (set
> CONFIG_SUNGEM to be built into the kernel or as module as you feel
> like).

Well, that's great to know! I decided that I wanted to start my install from
scratch, so I am. But I will check this in the morning when I am ready to
build the kernel.

> You may want to check that CONFIG_SYSFS is set (honestly I don't know
> its exact location but it is there somewhere--as a matter of fact I
> thought that sysfs is always set but since there is an option for it I
> guess this is not quite the case).

I will also check for this.

Thank you very much!