Mailing List Archive

What should I copy from Ubuntu
Hi,
Sorry for a semi-cross post between the yaboot list and
Gentoo-ppc-users. I'm hoping to get this worked out today.

I had trouble a week ago getting a new Gentoo PPC install to boot
on my Mac Mini so for kicks I tried Ubuntu which booted fine. I'd like
to get back to running Gentoo and I'm wondering what information I
should retain from my Ubuntu installation. The new Gentoo install is
back on the Mac Mini and completely up to date, so if I can work out
the booting issue I should be good to go. I have not emerge yaboot as
of yet as I don't want to break Ubuntu until the last moment if
possible.

To boot do I need anything beyond the info contained in the Ubuntu
yaboot.conf, the hard drive partitioning and fstab to get Gentoo
working? That's should be enough to somehow construct things correctly
in Gentoo, correct?

Also, the Ubuntu install used an initrd. I presume this is because
their one-size-fits-all approach probably requires drivers to boot a
lot of different machines. Previously when I had this Mac Mini running
Gentoo I didn't use one. I don't need to, correct? (Assuming I can
find and build in the right drivers?) Is there anything about yaboot
vs grub that makes it prefer an initrd? For now I used the Ubuntu
.config for my Gentoo kernel and figured I'd trim it down later after
I get the machine at least booting.

Thanks,
Mark

mark@MacMini:~$ cat /etc/yaboot.conf
## yaboot.conf generated by the Ubuntu installer
##
## run: "man yaboot.conf" for details. Do not make changes until you have!!
## see also: /usr/share/doc/yaboot/examples for example configurations.
##
## For a dual-boot menu, add one or more of:
## bsd=/dev/hdaX, macos=/dev/hdaY, macosx=/dev/hdaZ

boot=/dev/hda2
device=/pci@f4000000/ata-6@d/disk@0:
partition=3
root=/dev/hda3
timeout=50
install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
enablecdboot

image=/boot/vmlinux
label=Linux
read-only
initrd=/boot/initrd.img
append="quiet splash"

image=/boot/vmlinux.old
label=old
read-only
initrd=/boot/initrd.img.old
append="quiet splash"
mark@MacMini:~$

mark@MacMini:~$ cat /etc/fstab
#
# Use 'blkid -o value -s UUID' to print the universally unique identifier
# for a device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name
# devices that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
proc /proc proc nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
# / was on /dev/hda3 during installation
UUID=3d688258-e950-4dd7-87cb-48fa887bb493 / ext4
errors=remount-ro 0 1
# swap was on /dev/hda4 during installation
UUID=a56e05b7-6e4a-4239-83a2-df7e7115a9e8 none swap sw
0 0

/dev/sda1 /media/USB1/video ext2 rw 0 0
mark@MacMini:~$

mark@MacMini:~$ sudo mac-fdisk /dev/hda
/dev/hda
Command (? for help): p
/dev/hda
# type name length base
( size ) system
/dev/hda1 Apple_partition_map Apple 63 @ 1
( 31.5k) Partition map
/dev/hda2 Apple_Bootstrap untitled 2048 @ 2048
( 1.0M) NewWorld bootblock
/dev/hda3 Apple_UNIX_SVR2 untitled 39061504 @ 4096
( 18.6G) Linux native
/dev/hda4 Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap 3905536 @
39065600 ( 1.9G) Linux swap
/dev/hda5 Apple_Free Extra 1984 @ 64
(992.0k) Free space
/dev/hda6 Apple_UNIX_SVR2 gentoo 41943040 @
42971136 ( 20.0G) Linux native
/dev/hda7 Apple_Free Extra 71387312 @
84914176 ( 34.0G) Free space

Block size=512, Number of Blocks=156301488
DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0

Command (? for help):