Mailing List Archive

/etc/init.d/apache2 missing, and it should be
Hi all,
I need to actually learn a little Gentoo stuff. Thanks in advance.

On my wife's machine there's an error message at boot time which says

/etc/init.d/apache2 missing

or something to that effect. Now I think I installed apache2 a long
time ago looking at some mythtv option but that's no longer used and
apache isn't on the system. However she gets this message at boot
time.

Searching around I didn't see anything obvious about why this
happens. There's nothing sowing up with rc-update. However there is a
file

/etc/runlevels/default/apache2

which I suspect is involved. Is it? Is it left over from some earlier
ebuild that didn't remove it? Can I remove it by hand and fix things
or is there some better tool for keeping this part of the machine
happy and healthy?

Thanks,
Mark
Re: /etc/init.d/apache2 missing, and it should be [ In reply to ]
Mark Knecht wrote:
> Hi all,
> I need to actually learn a little Gentoo stuff. Thanks in advance.
>
> On my wife's machine there's an error message at boot time which says
>
> /etc/init.d/apache2 missing
>
> or something to that effect. Now I think I installed apache2 a long
> time ago looking at some mythtv option but that's no longer used and
> apache isn't on the system. However she gets this message at boot
> time.
>
> Searching around I didn't see anything obvious about why this
> happens. There's nothing sowing up with rc-update. However there is a
> file
>
> /etc/runlevels/default/apache2
>
> which I suspect is involved. Is it? Is it left over from some earlier
> ebuild that didn't remove it? Can I remove it by hand and fix things
> or is there some better tool for keeping this part of the machine
> happy and healthy?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

I broke my ibook with Gentoo a while back, so I can't test this out for
you but have you tried to reinstall apache and then uninstall it cleanly?

It looks like you have an entry in your default startup init script
that looks for the apache init script and it cant find it ...
try this to remove this reference :

#rc-update del postfix default

Kind regards,

Stu
Re: /etc/init.d/apache2 missing, and it should be [ In reply to ]
Oops spelling mistake :

#rc-update del apache default

this is to remove apache reference to your default init script, not
postfix as i originally posted (dangers of copy/paste google!)

Quoting "Stuart Mathews" <stuart@stuartmathews.com>:

> Mark Knecht wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I need to actually learn a little Gentoo stuff. Thanks in advance.
>>
>> On my wife's machine there's an error message at boot time which says
>>
>> /etc/init.d/apache2 missing
>>
>> or something to that effect. Now I think I installed apache2 a long
>> time ago looking at some mythtv option but that's no longer used and
>> apache isn't on the system. However she gets this message at boot
>> time.
>>
>> Searching around I didn't see anything obvious about why this
>> happens. There's nothing sowing up with rc-update. However there is a
>> file
>>
>> /etc/runlevels/default/apache2
>>
>> which I suspect is involved. Is it? Is it left over from some earlier
>> ebuild that didn't remove it? Can I remove it by hand and fix things
>> or is there some better tool for keeping this part of the machine
>> happy and healthy?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mark
>>
> I broke my ibook with Gentoo a while back, so I can't test this out
> for you but have you tried to reinstall apache and then uninstall it
> cleanly?
>
> It looks like you have an entry in your default startup init script
> that looks for the apache init script and it cant find it ...
> try this to remove this reference :
>
> #rc-update del postfix default
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Stu

Kind regards,

Stuart

Kind regards,

Stuart Mathews | Mobile: +4478 15 16 1846 | DDI: +44208 543 4015 |
http://www.stuartmathews.com | skype id : stumathews
Re: /etc/init.d/apache2 missing, and it should be [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 10:25 PM, Stuart Mathews
<stuart@stuartmathews.com> wrote:

> Oops spelling mistake :
>
> #rc-update del apache default
>
> this is to remove apache reference to your default init script, not postfix
> as i originally posted (dangers of copy/paste google!)

Stewart,
First, thanks for the response. I appreciate it.

Unfortunately this command doesn't seem to be the solution.

dragonfly ~ # rc-update del apache default
* 'apache' not found in any of the specified runlevels
dragonfly ~ #

Notice that rc-update knows that something is wrong (Broken
runlevel entry message) but I haven't determined how to really know
what that means.

Thanks,
Mark

dragonfly ~ # rc-update show --verbose
* Broken runlevel entry: /etc/runlevels/default/apache2
alsasound | default
apcupsd |
apmd |
bootmisc | boot
checkfs | boot
checkroot | boot
clock | boot
coldplug | boot
consolefont | boot
consolekit |
crypto-loop |
cupsd | default
dbus | default
device-mapper |
dhcp |
dhcrelay |
dmcrypt |
dmeventd |
dnsextd |
esound |
gpm |
hald |
halt |
hostname | boot
hotplug | default
in.tftpd |
ipx |
keymaps | boot
lircd |
lircmd |
lisa |
local | default nonetwork
localmount | boot
mDNSResponderPosix |
mdnsd |
modules | boot
mysql |
mysqlmanager |
mythbackend |
net.eth0 | default
net.lo | boot
net.wlan0 |
netmount | default
nfs |
nfsmount |
noip |
nscd |
ntp-client | default
ntpd | default
numlock |
portmap | default
pwcheck |
pydoc-2.4 |
pydoc-2.5 |
rdate |
reslisa |
rmnologin | boot
rpc.idmapd |
rpc.pipefs |
rpc.statd |
rsyncd |
samba |
saslauthd |
serial |
sshd | default
svnserve |
svscan |
syslog-ng | default
udev-postmount |
urandom | boot
vixie-cron | default
xdm | default
xinetd |
dragonfly ~ #
Re: /etc/init.d/apache2 missing, and it should be [ In reply to ]
I believe apache denotes apache 1.x, and you need to use apache2 to
denote apache 2.x. In other words try:
rc-update del apache2 default

Otherwise:
Little bit of a wild guess backed up by some detective work, but I
think all you need to do is delete /etc/runlevels/default/apache2

A bit of detective work shows that all the files in
/etc/runlevels/<runlevel> are links to the /etc/init.d scripts for
whatever is being started. If I understand this correctly, rc-update
is telling you the link doesnt point to anything. Therefore, there
should be no problem if you delete the link.

Steve

Re: /etc/init.d/apache2 missing, and it should be [ In reply to ]
Hi Mark,

Sorry that didn't work for you.
Maybe try checking out that /etc/runlevels/default/apache2 file..
Maybe it should be deleted as perhaps this is an orphaned file for an
unclean apache uninstall. I can't remember but if this is a symbolic
link - you can safely delete it as seemingly it isn't pointing to
apache....

I'm presuming you've googled the error about broken runlevel?

Stuart

Sent from my mobile device.

Re: /etc/init.d/apache2 missing, and it should be [ In reply to ]
Yes. Something like what steve160 mentioned-thanks steve160!

Sent from my mobile device.

Re: /etc/init.d/apache2 missing, and it should be [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 6:41 PM, steve160 <steve160@gmail.com> wrote:
> I believe apache denotes apache 1.x, and you need to use apache2 to
> denote apache 2.x. In other words try:
> rc-update del apache2 default
>
> Otherwise:
> Little bit of a wild guess backed up by some detective work, but I
> think all you need to do is delete /etc/runlevels/default/apache2
>
> A bit of detective work shows that all the files in
> /etc/runlevels/<runlevel> are links to the /etc/init.d scripts for
> whatever is being started. If I understand this correctly, rc-update
> is telling you the link doesnt point to anything. Therefore, there
> should be no problem if you delete the link.
>
> Steve

Thanks Steve. That seems to have worked. I'll have to watch the messages
at the next boot but the rc-update show --verbose command looks good now.

Cheers,
Mark