Mailing List Archive

Generic PPC, G3 and G4 Kernel-config for the LiveCD

Re: Generic PPC, G3 and G4 Kernel-config for the LiveCD [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2005-01-26 at 15:10 +1100, Joseph Jezak wrote:
> You can grab the kernel config here:
> http://dev.gentoo.org/~josejx/2005.config

I only found one thing to complain about. The VIA82CXXX ATA controller
isn't enabled, which will make it impossible to use this kernel on
machines that use that chipset (i.e. Pegasos).
Other than that it looks good to me. But we can always argue if we
should enable more networking features so that the LiveCD can double as
a network analysis tool.

//David Holm
Re: Generic PPC, G3 and G4 Kernel-config for the LiveCD [ In reply to ]
* David Holm <dholm@gentoo.org> [05/01/26 16:05 +0100]:
> I only found one thing to complain about. The VIA82CXXX ATA controller
> isn't enabled, which will make it impossible to use this kernel on
> machines that use that chipset (i.e. Pegasos).

I thought we will put three kernels on the LiveCD:
- g3g4
- g5
- pegasos

The reason is also that the pegasos kernel will contain a
built in bootcommand, so that you don't have to type in a
long line in SmartFirmware (BTW, I found out that the
bootcommand in my kernel config is wrong). I will use
JoseJX's kernel config and look over the scsi-drivers again.
He is right that there are a lot of ISA stuff enabled, which
isn't necessary.

Regards, Lars
Re: Generic PPC, G3 and G4 Kernel-config for the LiveCD [ In reply to ]
* David Holm <dholm@gentoo.org> [05/01/26 16:05 +0100]:
> Other than that it looks good to me. But we can always argue if we
> should enable more networking features so that the LiveCD can double as
> a network analysis tool.

Regarding that question I would like to quote beejay on
gentoo-releng:

Although I plan on creating a "bonus-cd" targeted to
system-rescues *AFTER* The release (probably in march,
since I also have to prepare a talk for FOSDEM in
Brussels): mc, tar, bacula, nfs, samba -- everything that
could be needed to move data off a broken system/to repair
a broken system.

I have been asked very often for a LiveCD which can handle
hfs+ partitions, especially a parted version that can
shrink, move and recover a partition. Unfortunately all
parted versions on the 2004-releases were broken.

Now that I roughly know catalyst, I that I could manage to
create such a CD after my exams in February and probably
even before Fosdem.

Regards, Lars
Re: Generic PPC, G3 and G4 Kernel-config for the LiveCD [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2005-01-26 at 19:29 +0100, Lars Weiler wrote:
> * David Holm <dholm@gentoo.org> [05/01/26 16:05 +0100]:
> > I only found one thing to complain about. The VIA82CXXX ATA controller
> > isn't enabled, which will make it impossible to use this kernel on
> > machines that use that chipset (i.e. Pegasos).
>
> I thought we will put three kernels on the LiveCD:
> - g3g4
> - g5
> - pegasos

The pegasos is a g3/g4 ;)
Re: Generic PPC, G3 and G4 Kernel-config for the LiveCD [ In reply to ]
* David Holm <dholm@gentoo.org> [05/01/26 19:39 +0100]:
> The pegasos is a g3/g4 ;)

You should know that I know that :-P

Look at the 2004.3 CD. We had a g3g4-kernel
(gentoo-dev-sources) for the Apples
and a pegasos kernel (pegasos-(dev-)sources) for the
Pegasos. I think we still need those two kernels, as there
are several patches in the pegasos-sources which are not in
gentoo-dev-sources. You should know it.

And adding those 3MB for another kernel should not hit any
space problems.

Regards, Lars