PegasosPPC. Could you respond with your tested hardware?
Especially when you have problems?

TIA and regards, Lars
Re: Test Xautoconfig [ In reply to ]
Works for me on my Powerbook G4 500.

-Joe

Re: Test Xautoconfig [ In reply to ]
Lars Weiler <pylon@gentoo.org> illum scripsit:
> Hi there,
>
> I would like to encourage you to test Xautoconfig
> (x11-misc/Xautoconfig-0.22-r2). Our goal is to
> autoconfigure the x.org-config-file, so that we can create
> LiveDVDs with X starting automatically.

Nice idea. Could be very helpful for newcomers.

> Xautoconfig should generate a config file with at least
> a resolution of 1024x768 and us-keyboard; no
> hardware-acceleration enabled.

Why only us-keyboard? E.g. with the german keyboard layout
I have that is almost unusable. A command line option would be
nice, wouldn't it?

> I tested it on my iBook/G3-600 with a rage128 and the
> PegasosPPC. Could you respond with your tested hardware?

I have tested it on my ibook G4 1Ghz(radeon), and it is running at
the moment.

> Especially when you have problems?

All the graphics related things work well (why is dri commented?),
I have only some trouble with the keyboard settings.
First, my "self made" AltGr-emulation and switching
beetween the ttys did not work.
I commented out the the "macintosh" option and that helped.
For some special keys adding the line
Option "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
is also necessary.
While writing this mail I noticed there are still some keys
who don't work.

Bye

Ben

--
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~hacker" emerge -p girlfriend >> dreams 2> /dev/null
vim -c 'pe VIM::Msg("There is no place like $ENV{'HOME'}");'

Re: Test Xautoconfig [ In reply to ]
Works for me on my PowerBook/G4 12" with a Geforce FX Go5200/64MB.

Good deal :)

Nick

Re: Test Xautoconfig [ In reply to ]
* Ben Waltmann <benwaltmann@web.de> [04/10/09 08:43 +0200]:
> Why only us-keyboard? E.g. with the german keyboard layout
> I have that is almost unusable. A command line option would be
> nice, wouldn't it?

Yes, that would be nice. See this package as a first
approve in generating an X-config and get that thing
started. The features will be added later ;-)

> All the graphics related things work well (why is dri commented?),

There are still problems on several boards. And only fbdev
is used. Probably some tests could be added to distinguish
between Radeon and Rage or Nvidia cards. If that is
resolved, we could try to uncomment DRI.

> I have only some trouble with the keyboard settings.
> First, my "self made" AltGr-emulation and switching
> beetween the ttys did not work.
> I commented out the the "macintosh" option and that helped.
> For some special keys adding the line
> Option "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
> is also necessary.

Keyboards on Apples was always a pain. First question:
Which key would you use as the AltGr? I recommend The
Apple-Key, but some would like to use it as the Win-key for
opening the applications-roster (it's the same Keycode).
Writing Keymaps isn't that hard. Even xmodmap is an option
to involve. Probably I can find some time to write the
.xmodmaprc for German and a customized Dvorak layout, so
that they will be loaded with xmodmap. Or even better
complete layouts which we can send upstream so that they
become included in future X.org-releases.

But that work has to be done -- and it's also just a
feature.

Thanks to all who already tested the utility. It seems that
we can include it to the LiveDVD (if nobody will commit a
bug about it).

Regards, Lars
Re: Test Xautoconfig [ In reply to ]

Re: Test Xautoconfig [ In reply to ]

Re: Test Xautoconfig [ In reply to ]
* David Holm <dholm@gentoo.org> [04/10/13 20:18 +0200]:
> I tried it on my Pegasos (not the ODW) with a Radeon 9100. It set the
> driver to fbdev instead of ATI and the max res was 640x480.

Okay, Xautoconfig is usually only for Macs. Nevertheless
the generated xorg.conf on the ODW works quite well here.
But it's a first start for users.

Thanks for the feedback!

> The keyboard was set to Macintosh and not pc105.

That is fixed in CVS since about 36 hours. Yes, also on
Macs it will set "pc105". Works without a problem on the
NewWorld machines.

Regards, Lars
Re: Test Xautoconfig [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 16:46:46 +0200, Lars Weiler <pylon@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I would like to encourage you to test Xautoconfig
> (x11-misc/Xautoconfig-0.22-r2). Our goal is to
> autoconfigure the x.org-config-file, so that we can create
> LiveDVDs with X starting automatically.

Yes, I realize this reply is a bit late. :)

Anyway, I just got gentoo working on my iMac G5, 17-inch, and I tested
Xautoconfig (after forcing the ebuild to accept ppc64). It worked perfectly,
except for not including the necessary modeline. Once I added the modeline
from

http://perso.magic.fr/l_indien/linux-ImacG5/index.htm

it worked great. So, perhaps you could include that modeline in the program
and add the ppc64 keyword?

Btw, I have a second framebuffer setup at fb1 (my TV out) and I was wondering
if it's possible to use Xautoconfig to setup this second display?

Thanks,

Chris