Determing the best blocksize
Is there a tool for finding the perfect blocksize for a file system? At the
moment I use Filelight but that only gives me the average size.

How do you choose the blocksize in general?

By the way: On a partition without many write operations, for example /usr,
does Reiserfs' tailpacking still cost performance?

Thanks in advance!

Florian Philipp
Re: Determing the best blocksize [ In reply to ]
Florian Philipp wrote:
> Is there a tool for finding the perfect blocksize for a file system? At the
> moment I use Filelight but that only gives me the average size.
>
> How do you choose the blocksize in general?
>
> By the way: On a partition without many write operations, for example /usr,
> does Reiserfs' tailpacking still cost performance?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Florian Philipp

One tunes filesystems the hard way or not at all. You either accept the
defaults or do a detailed performance evaluation. It's actually not all
that hard ... figure out what your workload is and benchmark it over all
half-dozen or so major supported filesystems (XFS, JFS, Reiserfs 3,
ext2, ext3 and a couple others I've forgotten). Then when you have a
winner, tune that filesystem.